Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #15
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
Just don't get caught in NJ, NY, or IL or try to cross into Canada with a weapon. Just remember Chicago has the Strictest gun laws in the Land.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #16
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo View Post
Does this permit allow one to carry a weapon in all States or just the one it was issued in?
Good info at this site. https://www.nraila.org/
Old 07-13-2017, 08:34 AM   #17

A handgun for personal protection is useless, if it is at Home, and you're not. You really don't need an Attorney, what you do need is to download one or a couple of the apps that have been mentioned above, then research the info they provide and make informed decisions about where you are legal with your Florida permit. Laws do vary from state to state and the apps will help you sort out your ability to be legal in the states that recognize Florida's permit.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #18
Duo

Advice taken ......good thing I didn't need an App in the Marine Corp! Huh
D
Old 07-13-2017, 09:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Advice taken ......good thing I didn't need an App in the Marine Corp! Huh
D
You might have needed an App if you were traveling from one duty station to the next carrying a concealed weapon. You wouldn't have been allowed to possess a handgun in your home or on your person either unless you had a permit allowing you to do so.
Lynn
Old 07-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
If your handgun is in a case and unloaded in the nightstand is that ok to have it. Just wondering what is concealed and what is just ownership?
Old 07-13-2017, 02:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimmy View Post
If your handgun is in a case and unloaded in the nightstand is that ok to have it. Just wondering what is concealed and what is just ownership?
In NY state you have to have a handgun permit to buy, own or possess a handgun. I believe most states are the same but don't just take my word for it.
If I had a hand gun and handed it to someone for any reason I would be in violation of the law regardless of whether they had a permit. They would also be in violation of the law. No exceptions for family either.
Lynn
Old 07-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputybubba View Post
HOME when parked, as it's moving it's considered a vehicle.
In some states just being parked is not enough, it must be connected to utilities to qualify as a home. So, Wallydocking, boondocking or in a rest area doesn't qualify.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
In NY state you have to have a handgun permit to buy, own or possess a handgun. I believe most states are the same but don't just take my word for it.
If I had a hand gun and handed it to someone for any reason I would be in violation of the law regardless of whether they had a permit. They would also be in violation of the law. No exceptions for family either.
Lynn
Tennessee is NO WHERE near the NY state restrictions. To purchase here, make your best deal on whatever pistol, fill out the ATF form 4473, they run a NICS check. When it comes back clean, you pay for your gun and you are all set to go. No permit is needed to buy, own, or possess a pistol here. If you are going to Carry, you have to take an 8 hour CC class and qualify on the range with a pistol, do your application with fingerprints and picture, then you receive you HCP....Handgun Carry Permit which allows you to carry anywhere it is legal to do so in the state. Presently, TN has reciprocity with 38 or 39 other states......but you do have to abide by the laws of whatever state you are in, and there are differences from state to state concerning where you can carry, your duty to notify an officer or not...if stopped, Rest areas, etc.

NY is one of the most stringent states of the 50, so I certainly WOULDN'T say that "most states are the same"....not even close.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=LETMGROW;3697421]In NY state you have to have a handgun permit to buy, own or possess a handgun. I believe most states are the same but don't just take my word for it.
Lynn[/QUOTE

I believe that read "most states are not the same" Remember you are not allowed to have hollow point bullets in NJ even if you have no gun.

Glenn
Old 07-13-2017, 04:06 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I have no problems traveling with my guns. Download the mentioned apps and use the links noted. Many people get very confused with concealed carry and transporting. Most states abide by federal transport guidelines which will allow you to traverse or visit a state with your guns in your vehicle. Just make sure you secure them appropriately and you should be fine. As stated a few states have some quirks with high capacity magazines and Hollow point bullets.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleGGG View Post
I have no problems traveling with my guns. Download the mentioned apps and use the links noted. Many people get very confused with concealed carry and transporting. Most states abide by federal transport guidelines which will allow you to traverse or visit a state with your guns in your vehicle. Just make sure you secure them appropriately and you should be fine. As stated a few states have some quirks with high capacity magazines and Hollow point bullets.

This is exactly right
Old 07-14-2017, 06:29 AM   #27

Duo: Having a Florida CCW you are good to go in Ga, Tn, Ky and Indiana, these are all very gun friendly states. They do have their own rules as far as carrying. Some states allow carry in restaurants that serve alcohol and some prohibit carry anywhere that serves alcohol. Indiana for one does not prohibit carry in taverns so states are very different. Some states do not require you to tell LEO you are carrying if stopped for traffic violation, others such as Ohio that is the first thing you should say if stopped.

Handgunlaw.us : CCW Map

Go here and check Florida and you will have a map of where you can legally carry. Stay safe, stay armed where legal but do your research. Jim.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Thanks to all we reside in Florida and on this trip we're going to GA,TN,KY,IL,WS,MN IN, and where ever else the wind might blow us. I think after reading everyone's reply' we're leaving the HEAT at home! I don't have any room for an Attorney in the 5vr and that's what it sounds like I might need!!! Thanks to all good stuff as usual
Duo
Not necessarily if you feel more comfortable. Read up but if you want it with you most states allow it to be transported with a locking device, unloaded and ammo stored separate, that's it. Of course when you are at your destination and sleeping that is when you can have it by your bedside just like a home.
Closed Thread

Tags
led