Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
I heard about this roughly a week ago on the radio here in Oregon, Costco announced that they do have plans in the works to expand the problem store.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #44

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
As a shopper from Canada in Bellingham, I can empathize somewhat with the local populace about some of the line ups and such. And it is true, that I bring down some jerry cans when I fill up at the Costco. A few years ago, I wouldn't have bothered but the simple truth is that I have become so disenchanted with the cost of gasoline up here in Vancouver, that I have finally developed a "screw them" attitude. Between the sales taxes, road taxes, transit taxes and carbon taxes, we pay ridiculous amounts of money for fuel which ironically probably was refined in the US but which comes from Canadian oil. It just came out today that residents of BC are carrying more debt per person that in any other province of this country. It is little surprise that with the dollar at near parity, we are coming down in numbers to take advantage of the more reasonable prices available a short 45 minute drive away.

Now, having said that, let it be known that no one should have to endure rude behaviour. The Costco in Bellingham is apparently the smallest in the state which doesn't help the crowding issue. When my wife and I are down, we usually gas up, eat a meal at one of the local restaurants, buy groceries (usually at one of the local Safeways) and get our dairy at the Edileen Dairy on the way back to the border. That dairy alone employees over 80 people and wouldn't have enough local market to survive without the Canadian business. The dairy was created to take advantage of the cross border traffic.

While it is true that we may create our share of small problems, for the most part, we come, we shop, we go home and are generally well behaved. We contribute a lot to the local economy through taxes and merchandise purchases. My advice for those who are subject to rude behaviour is to either complain to the store or call people on it. I'm sure if you look at the percentages of ill-mannered Canadians it is a very small minority that are guilty in relation to the thousands that cross the border every day. I know I have never had any problems or complaints. from anyone.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #45
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I started this thread, I didn't realize it would generate a lot of gripes/ill comments about our neighbors up north. C'mon people - be thoughtful and considerate. With the economic downturn we are currently having, let's be thankful that our neighbors are doing their shopping in our community. I'm not from Bellingham but if this happened in Silverdale, I would be grateful as the sales would increase our sales tax revenue. Give our neighbors a break - besides if it's the other way around, we would be flocking to BC to do our shopping too! (not me, it's a long drive!)
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #46

Country Coach Owners Club
It looks like there are gripes from both sides of the border. I can see why they come down here to buy cheap gas. I cannot understand the rudeness of some Canadians that I have encountered. Now to be a bigot, I will say that it is the Asians and the Indians that are the rudest. They come into the stores, and after looking at, say folded shirts, they throw them on the floor and leave them. A friend of mine, who is a clerk in a well known clothing store, says they come in and take clothing into the dressing rooms, rip a seam out or remove a button and then want to dicker on a lower price because the item is damaged. Heck, I have even had some take an item out of my hands while I was looking at it saying "Me take, me take". I do consider that a little rude.

As far as gas prices, I see that the price in Bremerton is about $3.87/gal. Where I live, in Blaine the prices run from $4.09 to $4.29/gal. At the Bellingham Costco gas is listed at $3.92. Bellingham is approx 25 miles from my house so it really isn't feasible for me to "run down to the corner" to fill up. I won't even go into the price of diesel.

As for the medical> A Canadian friend of mine is having internal problems. His "doctor" in Canada said it would be a good idea to get an MRI but it would be about 3 months before he could get one in Canada. He was told that he could probably get one in Bellingham for about 500 bux. Being in pain, he inquired and was told that it would most likely be 850 bux so he has decided to endure the pain and wait until he can get a free one in Canada. Something is wrong with this picture.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #47

Thor Owners Club
Don....I really dont know what to say to you...Stir the pot...leave the thread for a bit....come back to the thread and stir it some more.....did you know in bad economic times, immigrants are often criticized and blamed for all socities ills. We know how you feel Don....you don't have to keep ranting about it.....As for our medical system...thanks for the input Don....but no system is perfect and everything could be better....when my mom needed open heart surgery after a heart attack, they flew her to Vancouver by air ambulance and had the operation done in 2 days....Don...you can always find examples how something didn't work for someone....but its the best we have...and it hasn't fallen apart yet...I'm done with this thread...Don your depressing me....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:38 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishseeker View Post
I'm here to tell you that place is a ZOO!! Shopped there a few times and gave up. Some of the RUDEST people I have ever seen. Eas Indians or Canaisans will run their cart over you to get to where they want to go. My wife carrys an O2 tank and its obvious she not healthy. Don't matter to them. We would drive 40 miles south to Burlington, Much SAINER there. Let me say I'm NOT a Bigot, I just hate rude people no matter where their from! They do pump alot into the economy though, and are welcomed with open arms by buisnes.

I have to agree with you.....I was behind a car that had Ontario plates on I 95, the people inside opened up the window and threw out an empty for of tissues and several tissues in the process. No regard for our litterb laws.
Living down here in south Fl, we find them very discourteous in the stores. I too am not a bigot, but they should treat our country a little bit nicer.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:11 AM   #49

People through trash out of their vehicles regardles of country of origin. Every day I have to go out in my front yard and pick up something. Usually a beer can and based on my unscientific research, Bud is the king of beer cans tossed from cars. All those people who show up on Jerry Springer are NOT Canadians, Mexicans, or Asians they are Americans.

23 milion people out of work or under employed and we complain about our friends from the north spending money in the US? I avoid Myrtle Beach like the plauge but sure am glad all those Canadians come down to enjoy the beaches, golf courses, and shopping.

Oh Canada!

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:23 AM   #50

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Costco depends on volume. When I lived in South Florida I was accustomed to the long lines at checkout and the crowded stores so I tried, mostly unsuccessfully, to time my visits to less crowded times. Since I work full-time, I did not have much success.

Now that I have moved North and they finally opened a store in Augusta I am worried that they may not keep it open due to lack of volume. There are times when there are fewer than 5 checkout lanes in operation and no more than one person waiting to check out. I have never seen any lines at the tasting stations. Plenty of room in the aisles. Often able to get gas without waiting in line.

So for those who complain about the crowds keep in mind you do not have to shop there and if it were not for the crowds the place would not exist.

Jerry
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:06 AM   #51

National RV Owners Club
I have found Canadians to be the same as Americans, some good, some bad. I am very happy they come spend their money in the U.S.A. whether it be for food, supplies, gasoline. The more gas they purchase the more tax's they pay to help fix all those potholes in our roads. Welcome Canada, and thank you!
RoyalD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
boarder crossing

Crossed at Windsor for trip into USA, headed toward Arizona last year for a 5 month trip. Was told by USA Border guard, if I did not like the wait to stay at home, Nice guy? Something wrong with that picture.
Rebel
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #53

Thor Owners Club
Thats the point ...... it doesn't matter where you go you will find discourteous, rude, angry, helpful, sincere people where ever you go. it does no good to come on a thread and start finger pointing at a race of people or people from another country and make complaints after the fact but not have the courage to confront the poor behaviour at the time.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #54

Exactly, Fred.
Not speaking up at the time is tacit approval for the misconduct, thus making one an enabler of it.

Got something to say? Say it at the time of occurrence.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote