Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2019, 10:45 AM   #1

Costco vs Sams Club

I went to the post office to get a passport photo and was advised that they no longer have this service. Was told to go to Costco or Sams Club. Went to Sams Club but they would not provide the passport photo service unless you are a member. I am a solo full timer and have seen many Costco’s around but not many Sams Clubs. Also I don’t need bulk purchase of food items, they will just spoile and get thrown out before I can finish them. Is Sams Club just a glorified WalMart? I have also been told that Walgreens or CVS will take my photo without a membership requirement so I may just do that. If I were to join a membership club, which is preferred Costco or Sams?
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #2

CVS will take your pass port picture for a few bucks. I am pretty sure Walgreens will too but i know CVS will.

I was a member of Sams Club for a few years. it was okay. I was able to make the membership worthwhile and got a discount on it due to my work. My work stopped giving the discount and I stopped getting the membership.

Costco my gf is a member of and I have been there a few times. It seems like its very similar to Sams but I will say after christmas I was driving home in the RV and Costco had gas for $1.66 a gallon. The cheapest gas prices around. I filled my tank for less than 100 dollars for the first and only time ever.

Costco also has a very good food court. I didn't eat at Sams clubs food court but Costco's is pretty tasty. I think as far as prices and content, they are both very similar where Costco might have a slight edge for me. I just wish there was one closer to my house.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:11 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I've been members of both. To me, they are the same so it's a toss up as to which one is "better". Like above, both of my memberships were complimentary with employment & when the perk got dropped by Corp HR, I didn't renew.

With both, there were times I got good deals on the XXXL or bulk content items, but there were also times I didn't get stuff used & had to throw away. I felt both were good for staple items that you'll use no matter what (detergent, toilet paper, printer paper, wine, condiments....etc), but not so much for food items.

Besides Walgreens & CVS, AAA will do passport photos. Check your local listings.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I've been members of both. To me, they are the same so it's a toss up as to which one is "better". Like above, both of my memberships were complimentary with employment & when the perk got dropped by Corp HR, I didn't renew.

With both, there were times I got good deals on the XXXL or bulk content items, but there were also times I didn't get stuff used & had to throw away. I felt both were good for staple items that you'll use no matter what (detergent, toilet paper, printer paper, wine, condiments....etc), but not so much for food items.

Besides Walgreens & CVS, AAA will do passport photos. Check your local listings.

Lori-
I agree with Lori in that they are great for staple things. We buy their Toilet paper and paper towels and packs of bottled water. Food wise its a toss up. We buy a pack or two of their muffins and have those for breakfast. costco has delicious muffins for cheap in their baking section. they also have cheap and delicious bagels but you have to be religious of using them up because they go bad quick. we usually only use them for stuff that can go bad quickly if we are having a party or something.

For Christmas I made my parents a weeks worth of meals that they could put in the freezer and fridge and just pull out and throw in the oven each night. A place like that works great for doing that type of thing when you are going to be eating everything quickly or making premade meals or having a party and feeding a bunch of people.

But for us we use it for the staple items. I will say if it was up to me though... I wouldn't purchase the membership. The biggest issue is its an hour to the closest one but if i was a full timer who traveled all over the country... I might just look into something like that for the fuel savings alone.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:23 AM   #5

Costco is to Target as Sam's is to Walmart. Both offer similar goods at similar prices, but the overall demographic at each store is noticably different.

If you have a gasoline vehicle there's a 90% chance the Costco membership fee will pay for itself in gas savings alone within the year. Even solo, buying non perishables in bulk can be worth it.

Costco all the way, unless you like the Walmart experience...
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We're actually member of both for years. Sams is better than a Walmart store in many ways, but Costco is an order of magnitude above Sams or BJ's. Fresh meats and seafood are top shelf, other fresh foods and produce are better, and their policy is if you didn't love it, tell us and you get a refund. Costco's "Kirkland" branded products are top quality, and you can trust the brand as at least equal to and mostly better than any equivalent brand name. For instance, Kirkland batteries were Consumer Reports top pick over Duracell or Eveready. Same with soap, toothpaste, coffee, etc. and you'll find larger quantities for lower prices than brand name products.

That said, if you can't benefit from the larger bulk packaging, there would be little value to you. It might be worth the membership if you needed new batteries for you motorhome, or tires for your car, but for you PP pics, just go to CVS, Walgreens or RiteAid. Hope this helps.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:38 AM   #7

Many places will take passport photos. Also not every post office is set up to take them. Look around your area. Even Walmart can do them.

We have a Costco membership and I just bought tires there. Saved several hundred dollars and got a better warranty. Plus they use NITROGEN in the tires, so my Honda is so much lighter now!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:44 AM   #8

Sam's opened a store within a mile of an existing Costco in my community. It lasted about a year and its building has been home to a church ever since. I sometimes use their huge parking lot when back in town from our travels.
I was a member of both for a short time but ditched Sam's when they wouldn't stand behind a new pair of glasses whose lens fell out after a week of wear.
I find many more Sam's than Costcos during our travels as full timers so I rejoined Sam's primarily for the cheap diesel fuel and I figured I would be more welcome to overnight there if I was a member.
BTW. The ParkAdvisor app shows all the Sam's, Costcos and Walmarts in addition to campgrounds. My go to app.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #9

We have the Costco executive membership and for the two of us, we will be getting back right at $900 in rewards on their credit card. But I charge everything to the card including most of our bills, so it does add up.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:52 AM   #10

My wife got us a Costco membership a few years back. We have enjoyed the selections and typically split the nonperishable between the camper and the house. I really enjoy some of the clothes deals. I always get the spiced rum from the alcohol aisle which is the main reason I go with the wife. She enjoys Christmas shopping there for the grandkids clothes.
I do enjoy the beef hot dog and fountain drink for $1.50. Cheap, good lunch.
bixler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I've been members of both. To me, they are the same so it's a toss up as to which one is "better".
Sams is very different than Walmart and somewhat different from Costco. Sams tends to stick with a "brand". At Costco, you may buy something and then never see it again.

We have both memberships, but our trips to Sams are less and less frequent for a couple of reasons. Costco is <3 mile from our house and Sams is about 15. Costco has gas and the closest Sams does not.

There are a lot more Sams Clubs around compared to Costco.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bixler2 View Post
I really enjoy some of the clothes deals. I always get the spiced rum from the alcohol aisle which is the main reason I go with the wife. She enjoys Christmas shopping there for the grandkids clothes.
I do enjoy the beef hot dog and fountain drink for $1.50. Cheap, good lunch.
The wife has to look at kids clothes EVERY TIME WE GO TO COSTCO. Not a huge amount of time but an extra 10-15 minutes for sure.

The best deals at Costco are usually, their "house brand", Kirkland. Milk, eggs and bread are VERY reasonably priced. Costco rotisserie chicken shows up a couple of times a month.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:22 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
To add another comment about Costco being quite different than Sams & BJ's, note that Costco is also the largest retailer of wine, in the world. Among the many wines, they have some incredible wines under their own Kirkland label. Check'em out.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:33 PM   #14

It sort of depends on where you are.

When DW was alive we had both. Some Costo have propane and it was much cheaper.

We also had Sam's Club with the rewards credit card. Now that I am solo I have to figure out if it is worth it.

Currently have Sam's joint with one of the kids because they have diesel and the closest Costo does not.

When on the road fueling at either will save money while stoking up on food. Often in they have easy access to the interstate.