Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2017, 09:11 AM   #141

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thumbs up

So sorry to see you go. Your reports have encouraged me to start the blog.

If you do write or finish a book then please post a link to it here and I'd love to read it. Your abilities to put into writing have been an encouragement to me as it must have been to others.

We will miss you and you will forever be in our thoughts when things go not as expected.

Dale
noeldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2017, 10:47 AM   #142
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sharalyn,

Part of me is sad for you losing Pushpaka and the adventures you could have had in her. The rest of me is happy that you have started on a new course. One thing I know with absolute certainty is that you will find joy in all your endeavors. I'm a true believer that if your path is rocky and overly strenuous it's time to take a new path. When you are doing what is right for you your path will be fun and easy. Everything happens for a reason.

I hope you will continue to check in here occasionally. Many of us feel as if we met you and we are interested in your future. Best wishes to you and Toki! May you soon find that place of peace.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:07 PM   #143

Tiffin Owners Club
Good luck with your new direction. We have enjoyed your updates.
Florida is not a bad place to hit the reset button...
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:52 AM   #144

Winnebago Owners Club
Good luck with the future. You will go forth a stronger person for your experiences with the Class A. Issues you have had, especially the water, are not related to the motor home although the effects were compounded because it was a motor home.

I hope you are able to take away from your experiences the wonderful world of people who RV. They excel in helping each other whether they are single or partnered. I hope it remains thus forever.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:28 PM   #145

It is just as important to know when to quit, as it is to strike out on a new adventure. There is no shame in regrouping, at least you tried, some people can't even muster that much. Good luck and just relax and stop beating yourself up for trying. Take care and thank you for including us in your adventure.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #146

I hope you will keep writing. I love reading your insight on life. It reminds me of the Twiss book, The Long, Long Trailer. Not the movie that all RVers are required to watch, but the book. The bad experiences are just as interesting as the good. I've enjoyed riding along on your journey. You will be missed. Best regards in wherever your feet may point you.
Dan
Old 04-15-2017, 06:18 AM   #147

Blog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeldale View Post
So sorry to see you go. Your reports have encouraged me to start the blog.

Dale

Thanks Dale! I'm so glad you were inspired to write. What is the name of your blog and where can one find it?
Roadmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:23 AM   #148

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmagic View Post
Thanks Dale! I'm so glad you were inspired to write. What is the name of your blog and where can one find it?
It is on IRV2. Started out an adventure like yours but not as drastic. Now it becomes more of a journal.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/blogs/20680-noeldale.html
noeldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:39 AM   #149

The Book!

Having had such adventures and having learned so much the hard way, I have decided that I should write a book. The working title is: So You Want To Buy an RV! and I need your help.

My plan is to use my story as the backbone, with lists of "what can go wrong" or "what you need to know" interspersed in it. I don't intend to try to scare people away from RVing, only to entertain and educate. I'm not sure a book like this would have prevented me from trying, but it would have been valuable to know up front what challenges I would face.

I am hoping to include some of you and your experiences, by name or otherwise, as you choose. If you had a misadventure of some kind, like the guy who lost steering in traffic, or any of you who had accidents or messes to clean up because you were a newbie, I hope you will share your story with me for possible inclusion. Also, I'd love to have be able to include good stories about great times or what you like most about RVing.

I just made a contract for a home in Vero Beach, and am looking forward to giving my full attention to writing again. Thanks to all of you for inspiring me in so many ways, and for being my friends and supporters during this challenging time. :-)
Roadmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:36 AM   #150
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ok, I'll start with my first 2 RV Newbie Oops moments.

I picked my shiny new RV up in a Chicago suburb and was heading back to Oklahoma. That required a toll road. As I was pulling up to the toll booth I misjudged our width and smacked the plexiglas wind defector with the driver's side mirror. No damage until you count heartbeats missed by the toll collector and me.

Always check to make sure there is water in the water heater tank when you fire it up for the first time each year. The electric heating element lasted less than a minute.

Best wishes for finding just as much magic, Sharalyn. I know it's everywhere when you know how to look.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:15 PM   #151

Thank you, Sharalyn!

Sharalyn et al,
First, hello to all here. This is such a great community of RV people and I feel fortunate to have found you. Let me say up front that this post is much longer than I intended, especially after adding my own story about RV mishaps (and I did edit!)... for those of you who don't like long posts, sorry! Also, I'm late to the party, but have appreciated so much reading everyone's posts and plan to stay around.

Sharalyn, I found your journal a couple of weeks ago, and wanted you to know how much it inspired me. Initially, I was inspired because as a woman who is 71 you just went for it: I'm just several years behind you and hoping my age doesn't stop me from taking on new things. I've talked with so many women in their 60s and 70s who think their adventure days are over. You've proven that they don't have to be. Your honesty about the difficulty, especially through fatigue and pain, also helped me. It limited you and yet you were able to find a way to go on toward your goal.

I also related to your ability to become absorbed by natural surroundings and allow the setting to change your state of mind. When I was younger, I got through many desperate days at loathsome jobs by taking my breaks outside. Your writing about it so eloquently reminded me how much meditation, or just focusing on nature, can help me get through tough days.

Even though I'm not solo now, I was for many years. When I was 40 and still single, I piled most of what I had into a passenger van, having sold the rest, and moved across the country to a place where I knew no one. I've never regretted that and loved the adventure of it. I'm sure that journey helped me sow the seeds for wanting to experience RV travel.

I was so sorry to read about the flooding problem that was the last straw for your days in Pushpaka. I never felt, though, that you had missed the mark in any way. I and clearly many others here think that what you accomplished was amazing. One of the best parts may be that your sense of adventure is still intact and you're making good use of your experiences through your writing.

Your ability to laugh at your mistakes makes you feel like a friend, I'd bet to many here. I could see myself making the same mistakes and getting into the same sorts of pickles. Especially the time you couldn't figure out why your electricity wasn't working and the guy asked you about your generator...your description of how you gradually saw the light was so relatable and hysterical... LOL, my brain can really fog up sometimes like that.

Your description of the RV problems sounded daunting, but I know from a little experience that having some problems is inevitable. The story of my first vacation in my own RV just last year taught me to 1) expect problems and 2) know well ahead of the trip that "All systems are Go." You didn't have that luxury when you decided you needed to flee winter in Iowa. Being from Minnesota I can kind of imagine what that was like.

I had several trips as a teenager in a camper with cousins. My aunt and uncle were good enough to include me with their family of six kids in a very small truck camper. The oldest two boys slept in a pup tent (this was the '60s) except the time when they were literally flooded out of it. I don't know how we all made it work (there were moments, like the time my uncle plowed over the stop sign in Cleveland) but I have fun memories of those times. Then a year ago, my husband and I bought a small Class C. We knew nothing. My husband travels for work, so it was up to me to get the fixes done. A couple of months later it was the week before our first two-week vacation, and I realized that only one outlet was working; no other electricity worked (it had worked when we bought it!). Also, the sellers had winterized with antifreeze, but after six flushes with water, water and vinegar, even some bleach, I couldn't get the stink and taste out the water. I also couldn't get the water heater to work, and thought that the outside shower was leaking.

Being short notice, I found just one mobile repair guy who could come out. He fiddled around and said, "See, all the outlets work. There's no problem there." He showed me and he was right. (Huh? I thought.) "How about the outside outlet?" I asked. "On the same circuit. It's definitely working." I took his word for it. He said we might need a new water heater, but when I was obviously dismayed, he looked at where the water had been coming in under the sink and said he was sure it was just from our flushing water through it to get rid of the antifreeze (which we've since learned is a no-no). Then he insisted the outside shower was not leaking, charged me $100 and left. I felt he'd been impatient and not really listening to me, but was so happy to hear that our problems were over that I didn't worry about it and happily reported to my DH that everything was working fine.

The next week we left on our first vacation. Our packing took three hours longer than planned and then our first stop turned out to be hours longer to get to than the RV park person and even Google directions said it would be. We wearily arrived about 11 p.m. I won't go into the state of the RV park, but it wasn't what we'd expected from the pics and they were packed like sardines in there. After finding our plug-in in the dark down a muddy slope, we couldn't get the electricity to work. We also couldn't get the hot water to work. We found a new park the next day, but couldn't remedy the situation with either the electricity or the water. We spent the next two weeks camping without either. Because we'd been tent campers for years, we knew how to do that... but it was quite a letdown after our excitement about our first trip.

I did eventually find a good mobile repair person who showed me the crack in the water heater (we may have caused that ourselves by flushing it) and that the outside shower was indeed leaking. He also educated me about GFCI outlets shutting off the electricity when there's a rainwater leak. (And how quickly that happens when there's a gap between the outside outlet and the siding that allows rainwater to pour into it!)

Sharalyn, I hope you'll really enjoy your new home in Florida and that you'll check in here from time to time. Thank you again for the trip journal; it was a joy to find and I'll continue to think of you as we continue to plan and travel. I hope to read more from you and learn how you're doing in your new life.
PacificRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #152

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sharalyn is looking for a smidge of help, details here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/crazy...nd-364814.html
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey