Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2020, 06:39 PM   #43

Oddly, I had two charges less than two dollars from Alabama gas station. Had to replace card. A friend said they were fishing...if not cancelled they would go for big amount.
DrTomIverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2020, 08:03 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewebb View Post
I had a learning experience this morning.
I have a cash back CC that I use for everything. Every morning I log on to the bank WEB site to check activity. This morning I found two charges that I did not make. I called the number on the back of the card and got a message that they were not available due to the cut back in personnel. The recorded message directed me to their WEB site to take care of the problem. Their WEB site is not user friendly enough to easily get to the page necessary to take care of the problem. Also, it appears that it is not updated to cover the current issues due to the virus. I ended up saying the card was stolen and ordered a new card with a new account number. As of now I have not stopped the fraudulent charges from remaining on my account.

I suspect that this is an area where criminals, or very dishonest individuals, will use this time to take advantage of conditions to reap financial gains. I suggest that all of us monitor our CC activities daily to avoid problems.
If it's a Discover or Mastercard you are not responsible.

I have my CC companies email and text me EVERY TIME the card is used.
As well as my debit card that I never used anymore.
It happens in seconds.
Everyone should have that.
66lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:30 PM   #45

My dad had one, I think form Chase, but I cannot remember to be sure, that gave him a one time use charge card number each time he purchased on line. No more stolen chard number charges after that. I have been using PayPal when I can and have not have any problems so far.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:35 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Once you have a balance its hard to get back to 0. the charged items between statement balance and payoff also needs to be paid. Pay enough ahead to 0 the account at closing , or as already said "pay balance" using online payment. Then never let a statement bal get unpaid on time. All my accounts auto pay the "statement balance" on the due date by deduction from my checking account.I have it all automated so I just check up on it. I also receive text messages for any transaction ...charge or payment. No issues in 4 years full time using 3 different credit cards with Everything charged.
I never pay with a debit card. The only account I have linked to my debit card is my checking account. If I need to transfer funds from savings to checking I do it online, never at an ATM. This way if my card is lost or stolen the most any crook can get is what’s in my checking account. Granted that the amount in my checking can vary from several hundred to several thousand but my savings are safe.
As far as credit cards go I gave several but the two I use the most are a PenFed Visa card that gives me 5% cash back on all my gas and when we travel cross country that really adds up and the credit is applied immediately. I can’t remember the last time I got any sort of finance charge. If you pay in full by the due date no finance charge will be added. If that’s not the case with your card you need to get a different card. The other card I use extensively is America Express. I know there is a yearly membership fee but for me the points I accumulate are well worth the fee. For example, over the years I have used my points for 4 first class airline tickets to Europe, two Dyson vacumn cleaners, Surround system, and TPMS system for the motorhome just to name a few things. Anyway,the point is that CC are safe and if managed properly you should never see a finance charge,
Stay healthy and stay safe in these trying times.
Bisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:54 PM   #47

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Seems like an annual event

It seems that I have my primary credit card number gets stolen annually. I am not sure why as I check my activity frequently, always use a secure login with my phone hot spot, use PayPal when possible, and use two step verification. I do know that at least twice when I have used my card to pay at a restaurant that a week later the unauthorized charges start again. I can't figure out any other way my number gets stolen. My bank looks for charges that seem unauthorized and notifies me. You can arrange this with your bank as well. We go over all of the charges on the card and identify which ones aren't mine, the bank removes them, then I am issued a new card. Most recently this occurred three weeks ago. If anyone reading this thread has any other ideas please pass them along. Hold times are longer with the virus situation but with patience you will get a real person to speak with.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:48 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewebb
I have a cash back CC that I use for everything. Every morning I log on to the bank WEB site to check activity. This morning I found two charges that I did not make. I called the number on the back of the card and got a message that they were not available due to the cut back in personnel. The recorded message directed me to their WEB site to take care of the problem. Their WEB site is not user friendly enough to easily get to the page necessary to take care of the problem. Also, it appears that it is not updated to cover the current issues due to the virus. I ended up saying the card was stolen and ordered a new card with a new account number. As of now I have not stopped the fraudulent charges from remaining on my account.

I finally found a PDF form to fill out and mail in to get the charges removed. I searched the WEB site and found an APP for my phone that allowed you to lock and unlock your card but is does not work. I could not find any setting that sent a text when card was used. When we are in normal living mode I may use it every day.

It just irks me that those that do this are not search out and prosecuted.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:04 AM   #49

Virtual account number

For those of you who are concerned about using your credit card for online purchases, you might want to see if your bank offers virtual account numbers. I know both Discover and Citibank do this. When you are ready to make a purchase you go to the card's website and request a virtual number. You get it immediately and you use that on the site where you are making your purchase. Even if someone gets a hold of the numbers, they are useless as they are a one time thing.
Another option is to use PayPal. You can connect a debit or credit card to your PayPal account and the merchant never sees any of your payment information. In addition, PayPal offers resolution if you pay for something and it never arrives, or a similar situation.
When we are at a gas station, it was suggested that we give the card reader a tug before sticking your credit card in. Most of the readers that scan for information for scammers are just coverings for the actual reader, so if it comes off, you have exposed a scam in operation and can report it to the station manager, police, or whoever.
GeneandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:21 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmaintz8 View Post
I was thinking of restricting any new charges to my zip code as we very seldom go anywhere...
Also a dollar limit.
Never use our debit card.
Bob

Do order anything from companies NOT in your zip code?
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:25 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH2 View Post
Very simple, just put the card on autopay. They will draft your bank on the due date so ZERO INTEREST is charged. In essence instead of a debit each time you use the card, you only have ONE DEBIT per month. I do this with my cash back card.

So if you have a fraudulent charge for say $15,000.00, you don't have any problem with autopay paying the fraudulent $15,000.00 when the CC sends them the statement, correct?
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:15 AM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
I see where someone said their bank called to question a charge that turned out to be a fraud. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS! Same thing happened to me about a month ago. I was at the storage site checking on the motorhome when State Farm Bank called about a $600 charge. I said probably not, but to call me back in 30 minutes when I got back home and could check with my wife. She was making all the reservations for this summer (probably not going to happen now).

The bank called back, and it took almost an hour while they checked everything to verify it was me. Turns out I was talking to the crook who was asking me the questions that the bank was asking his partner. They transferred 6K from my checking to make purchases.

They spoofed the call to make it look like it was State Farm Bank calling. If anyone calls, even if the caller ID looks ok, tell them you will call back on a number you know is good.

State Farm Bank took care of everything and said this is happening very often.
cvretis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:56 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
So if you have a fraudulent charge for say $15,000.00, you don't have any problem with autopay paying the fraudulent $15,000.00 when the CC sends them the statement, correct?
A few years ago, while I was working out of state on Hurricane Sandy damages, my CC was fraudulently charged about $18,000+- in a series charges all within a hour (most likely a gang hitting multiple locations until the card maxed out). My experience was when I protested the charges they placed the charges as pending, but my auto pay did not attempt to take it out of my checking account. Once I filled out the forms protesting the charges, the $18,000+ was deleted from my records.

Other times the card was compromised with much smaller charges, once I notified VISA, a new card was issued and I never had to worry about the fraudulent charge again.

Quote:
I finally found a PDF form to fill out and mail in to get the charges removed. I searched the WEB site and found an APP for my phone that allowed you to lock and unlock your card but is does not work. I could not find any setting that sent a text when card was used. When we are in normal living mode I may use it every day.

It just irks me that those that do this are not search out and prosecuted.
I agree 100%. With the $18,000 fraud, I couldn't get anyone interested is investigating. My Credit Union said "it's a VISA problem". Visa said "it's a police matter" and the police said "unless VISA files a formal complaint we can't do anything."
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:08 AM   #54

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
The concert was canceled due to Covid-19. The promotor wants to schedule in Oct. No firm date. I used my Sears Master Card to make the $60.00 purchase. Contacted the seller and they stated no refunds given. Didn't state this anywhere on there web page. How do i know if the rescheduled date will work for me? Called the credit card co. to ask for a credit on the Master Card. I don't want my $ tied up until Oct. Stated they would have to speak with the merchant. What about my protection with this credit card. I paid the $6o.00 as I didn't want to incur any interest charges. Stated they would have to send me out paper work to fill out. Haven't received this yet. The seller said thwey would check into this and would get back with me. Never called me back. I feel the credit card Co Sears Master card owes me a refund.
With the cards that I have, if you dispute a transaction, the card company removes that charge from your statement while they are waiting for "evidence" etc., that the charge should be reversed. By disputing, you avoid having to pay any interest on that disputed amount unless it later is determined that it was a valid charge and they add it back to your statement.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:08 AM   #55

Quote:

I suspect that this is an area where criminals, or very dishonest individuals, will use this time to take advantage of conditions to reap financial gains. I suggest that all of us monitor our CC activities daily to avoid problems.

I have been receiving letters and emails from my banks warning of potential scams. They have sent out recommendations to help prevent getting caught up in these scams. Debit cards are the easiest for scammers to hit according to my personal banker, I never use one. My experience is that Chase Bank has one of the best credit cards out there. They watch for fraudulent charges based on your pattern of use and are excellent at refunding fraudulent charges. I also put notifications of credit card charges on my account do I can see when a charge is made. You really have to watch your backside and even more so now. Thieves/criminals have no feelings for you or what you are dealing with. They are opportunistic animals that prey on anyone they can.
All scum bags.
Piros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:14 AM   #56

Reading all these posts about fraudulent charges, most probably never get punished, it's no wonder CC interest rates and fee's are so high.
Perhaps the CC companies could hire their own investigators to catch and prosecute these criminals.

CC fraud would go down and so would fee's.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote