Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2020, 11:55 AM   #15

My wife and I live on the US-Canada border. We live in East China Mi along the St. Clair River. I was a St. Clair Sheriff/ Marine Division Deputy for some six years. Our kids would go across the border on the Sombra Ferry to go get an ice cream cone, they would use their school i.d. cards as identification! Now things are a lot different at the borders! What with 9-11 and now the Covid-19 problem! The bridges (Ambassador, Bluewater and the Tunnel) have restrictions on "Essential Travel" to and from the U.S. and Canada. We were boaters and would go there regularly, many times during the boating season. Now, we're not allowed! Sad state of affairs!
kellyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2020, 12:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyday View Post
The bridges (Ambassador, Bluewater and the Tunnel) have restrictions on "Essential Travel" to and from the U.S. and Canada.
Unfortunately for me, I have to fly into Canada for work. The Provincial government is supposedly granting a quarantine exemption for the few days I'll be there, but I'm a little concerned about getting back into the US.

I thought about driving, but it's a thousand miles each way, for just a short time stay.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:23 PM   #17

Interesting post.

Two separate stories designed for two separate reactions from two separate points of view. Story one, willful violation of border quarantine regulations by falsifying reason for crossing. This received the expected and logical condemnation from those who see it as a consequence of their lying behavior.

Second story, entrapment of innocent people by overbearing authorities. Appeals to all who are suspect or cynical about governmental intentions, desire for revenue, or the universal corruption at all levels of government.

If the OP was simply about the first story, it may be more easily accepted as true. Nothing in the telling is beyond normal human behavior, including the deception perpetrated by the "vacationers."

The second story, which almost appears to be an "Oh, by the way...," is red meat chum for any with a preexisting bias.

My point is, as already posted by others, these two stores reek of troll baiting and, IMO, should be considered as such until a verifiable report that can be fact checked is posted. Until that happens, this is just so much internet "truthiness." It is not up to the audience to prove a story false. It is the burden of the story teller to provide evidence that it is true.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:51 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
There are in fact many stories citing the increase of 5 year bans for seemingly minor issues when crossing from Canada to the US. Now the details beyond what the reporting parties have provided I have no idea. I find it unlikely that anyone was baited into illegally crossing but I can tell you before I approach any border patrol station I triple check that everything is in order.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:21 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Interesting post.

Second story, entrapment of innocent people by overbearing authorities. Appeals to all who are suspect or cynical about governmental intentions, desire for revenue, or the universal corruption at all levels of government.

The second story, which almost appears to be an "Oh, by the way...," is red meat chum for any with a preexisting bias.

My point is, as already posted by others, these two stores reek of troll baiting and, IMO, should be considered as such until a verifiable report that can be fact checked is posted. Until that happens, this is just so much internet "truthiness." It is not up to the audience to prove a story false. It is the burden of the story teller to provide evidence that it is true.
Read the post again. You missed something. According to the OP, the people in the second scenario SAID, they had been told that a tree had fallen. In other words, they fabricated a story in order to induce approval to enter the country. Similar situation as the OP's first scenario.

Could it be you were reading with a bit of "preexisting bias" yourself to see something in the post that wasn't there?

As far as whether the post is verifiable truth... that is an open question on anything you and I read in print or electronically these days. Don't depend on the writer to do that for you. Let the reader beware.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talloaks View Post
Read the post again. You missed something. According to the OP, the people in the second scenario SAID, they had been told that a tree had fallen. In other words, they fabricated a story in order to induce approval to enter the country. Similar situation as the OP's first scenario.

Could it be you were reading with a bit of "preexisting bias" yourself to see something in the post that wasn't there?

As far as whether the post is verifiable truth... that is an open question on anything you and I read in print or electronically these days. Don't depend on the writer to do that for you. Let the reader beware.
You are absolutely correct, not only about missing the word,"said," but about my preexisting bias. I am fully aware of that bias and within the first two sentences of the OP I was "filtering" the entire post through that bias of skepticism. I find it more "serious" that I missed the "said" part, but that's not due to bias, it's due to carelessness (and elderly eyes.)

I am completely willing to accept the post as true, should it be supportable. In fact, now that you've pointed out my reading error, the posts, taken together, seem far more plausible in that they are both consistent in the deceptive behavior of the people involved.

As far as the writer doing the fact checking for us, that is not my point. The writer needs to provide more than just a tale with no link to origin beyond, "something I read on the internet," if he wants it to be taken seriously. A link to the other site, for example.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:14 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
You can't fix stupid, but big fines are a help.

Happy Glamping.
Exactly!
Old 08-13-2020, 04:19 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadi...rder-1.4614788
Old 08-13-2020, 04:53 PM   #23

I don't really care if some don't believe what I was repeating, (first one said it was his neighbor and the second said he worked with the person) I was just posting it because I thought it was interesting and to maybe make someone think twice before they try something similar.
I have no reason not to believe the two people who posted the stories and for the fact checkers not everything makes the news or the net.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:38 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Folks this nothing new, just same old exaggeration and sensationalism. Some new twists, but understandable.

I traveled all over the world on business for many, many years, and visited many different countries. It was not always easy, and not always simple. But, if you followed their rules, did all the paperwork, and was always totally honest, Your life was always much simpler. If you are arrogant or cop an attitude, I promise you, your life is going to get complicated, irregardless of which country is involved.

ps...[Mod Edit] We are spoiled, and take so much for granted.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:43 PM   #25
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Thread Warning

Thread Warning !

This post is about a Canadian border crossing incident. Lets keep the discussion there and only there.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:14 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not necessarily in the same vein, but the same genre.

I have a nephew who is a Customs and Border Protection (CPB) Officer. He was describing to me their method of interrogating a traveler. He explained that instead of asking questions that could be answered "Yes" or "No," they would ask questions that required an answer. For instance: "What have you been arrested for?" He described some of the responses, ranging from, "How did you know," to shock and/or incredulity. The latter were the ones who passed the test.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:28 PM   #27

That article is pre-covid and does nothing to substantiate the OP's gossip.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:47 PM   #28

Have I heard of such things? Yes. Here on iRV2!

In general I consider that nations enforce their pandemic restrictions for what they are: public health matters. Violating such orders vis a vis border crossing? Uh... it's gonna leave a mark.