Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
I would vote for it.
fsteve65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
x6. And why do they not start at minimum wage without experience? If they only received the average wage as their constituents, would they make a career of it?
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
My new guideline now is to never vote for an incumbent. If they can't impose term limits, then I will.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #18

LSC9901, I did exactly that yesterday!

My idea is a 10% federal flat tax on every dime earned, by anyone stateside (offshore tax is 35%), whether a private individual, corporation, government unit, etc. Eliminate the IRS, monies to be collected by states,and the feds share forwarded to them by the state treasurer. No long forms allowed, just a one-page sheet listing your gross income and a line for tax due. If the feds can't live within that amount, those politicians make up the difference. Might sound foolish to some, might not to some.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
They got ahold of my cell number somehow! Grrr!
me to and the calls are everyday
some turkey wanting an opinion on everything from dryer sheets to toothpaste

tax the adds, yes sir
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Screw 50%.. I say a dollar for every dollar spent. And ALL unspent campaign an pac monies go to the Treasuries as a debt payoff payment.. kind of a 'put your money where your mouth is'
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I totally agree! Lets not forget about the fuel costs that we pay for whoever is running for re-election too! Maybe they could put a tax on Hot Air too.......I bet that would bring in a lot of money.
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdstrohm View Post
Love it ...

My husband always says, the way to fix SS is to get rid of the govt pensions and put them on SS .... it would be fixed in no time.
Now there's a good idea. Richie Daly 11, former second boss of chicago, is collecting 3 pensions last I heard.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog View Post
i never drink unless i'm by myself or with somebody, but i will drink to that
I all ready did.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
LSC9901, I did exactly that yesterday!

My idea is a 10% federal flat tax on every dime earned, by anyone stateside (offshore tax is 35%), whether a private individual, corporation, government unit, etc. Eliminate the IRS, monies to be collected by states,and the feds share forwarded to them by the state treasurer. No long forms allowed, just a one-page sheet listing your gross income and a line for tax due. If the feds can't live within that amount, those politicians make up the difference. Might sound foolish to some, might not to some.

I don't mean to get too far off track with this, but the flat tax is one of those ideas that sounds great on paper, but in practice it would be a disaster. Right now 75% of all the taxes paid in the US are paid by 5% of the population. Almost half of the households in the US pay no federal income tax at all. Many get back more than they pay in with all the low income incentives out there. Put in a flat tax and the upper end gets a huge cut and the lower and middle will be paying much, much more than we are now. A while back there was a discussion of eliminating the interest deduction for second homes, which includes RV's. Many RV owners had a fit about that.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
I don't mean to get too far off track with this, but the flat tax is one of those ideas that sounds great on paper, but in practice it would be a disaster. Right now 75% of all the taxes paid in the US are paid by 5% of the population. Almost half of the households in the US pay no federal income tax at all. Many get back more than they pay in with all the low income incentives out there. Put in a flat tax and the upper end gets a huge cut and the lower and middle will be paying much, much more than we are now. A while back there was a discussion of eliminating the interest deduction for second homes, which includes RV's. Many RV owners had a fit about that.

I'll be the token FairTax whipping boy here. Eliminate tax on income, tax expenditures instead!
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #26

Ramblin,

I certainly understand what you are saying, but if I'm paying 35% of my income in taxes now, I'd really welcome only paying 10% of my expenses. Any time there is a consumption tax or sales tax or goods and services tax, as our friends north of the border call it, you have a blank check to the government. If you are in a state that has sales tax, what did the tax start out at and where is it now? I can remember a 2% sales tax when it started and now we're just under 9%. You can guarantee that any sort of a national sales tax will only go one way and that certainly isn't down!
Old 05-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Ramblin,

I certainly understand what you are saying, but if I'm paying 35% of my income in taxes now, I'd really welcome only paying 10% of my expenses. Any time there is a consumption tax or sales tax or goods and services tax, as our friends north of the border call it, you have a blank check to the government. If you are in a state that has sales tax, what did the tax start out at and where is it now? I can remember a 2% sales tax when it started and now we're just under 9%. You can guarantee that any sort of a national sales tax will only go one way and that certainly isn't down!

I'm no tax expert, as will become apparent if we pursue this discussion much further.

The FairTax, as I understand it, is a fixed ~26% sales tax levied only on new items when they are sold. After elimination of income taxes, it supposedly comes out net positive for everyone, and generates more revenue for the government than the current system does. It works because suddenly, EVERYONE is a taxpayer; prostitutes, drug dealers, foreign tourists, illegal aliens, everyone that buys stuff.

Income tax collection works on a bell curve. If you tax me at 0%, you get $0. If you tax me at 100%, you still get $0, because I no longer have any incentive to produce (or report) income.

In that scenario, I, to some extent, have control over whether I want to pay the tax, how much I want to pay, etc. I just work less if I want to pay less tax. Under the FairTax I would have no such control. I either pay the tax, or I don't buy anything new.

I understand what you're saying, if the government has control over the tax rate under the FairTax, they will manipulate it. I don't know if there is anything to control that in the bill.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #28

Ramblin,

The idea behind the fair tax is fine, but the practice is that it won't work. For example, we are on the border with Canada. Quite simply, I'll just go across the river and shop in Ontario. For 25% or more in savings, it's a no brainer. Also others will simply go to Europe, Mexico, and wherever else there is no such consumption tax.

The tax code is incredibly complex, but there is a reason for it. The tax code started out in pretty simple terms, but then Congress decided to use it for social engineering. For example, let's stimulate the housing industry by allowing the deduction for home mortgage interest, let's make high tax states like NY and CA more attractive by allowing a deduction for real estate taxes and state income taxes and so on. I can remember that at one time there was a deduction allowed for cigarette taxes paid. That was done for the benefit of the tobacco industry.

Is the tax code too complex? Absolutely. The argument could be made that it is almost unenforceable due to its complexity. Now you have so many different special interests wedged into the tax code I don't ever see it changing. Everyone from the doctors with the medical deduction to the unions with the deduction for union dues. As the '60's DJ's used to say, "And the hits just keep on coming!"