Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2022, 10:23 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Dad saves kids from a burning motorhome

Caution: some disturbing images.

I can't imagine having to deal with this. The one thing I wish the article covered was the cause of the fire. For some reason it does not. The motorhome was a retired city bus conversion. The guy did a really nice job on it too. Too bad but I'm glad that the kids all got out alive.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/milita...g_4410438.html
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2022, 10:28 AM   #2

I was going to read it but they wanted my email just to read that story so I passed.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:30 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1960 View Post
I was going to read it but they wanted my email just to read that story so I passed.
Same for me. Read it here.

https://people.com/human-interest/fa...r-rv-exploded/
Old 07-28-2022, 10:34 AM   #4

The guy did a really nice job on it too. ... Well,....Maybe ?
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:48 AM   #5

So sad...I wish them well on their recovery
Old 07-28-2022, 11:11 AM   #6

Here is discussion back in April

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/skok...ed-576579.html
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 01:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
Thanks
Old 07-29-2022, 06:37 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Compassion - Fires and the Consequences

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
Caution: some disturbing images.

I can't imagine having to deal with this. The one thing I wish the article covered was the cause of the fire. For some reason it does not. The motorhome was a retired city bus conversion. The guy did a really nice job on it too. Too bad but I'm glad that the kids all got out alive.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/milita...g_4410438.html
Thanks for posting this!

Title: Compassion - Fires and the Consequences

TexasJeff said: "I can't imagine having to deal with this."

Compassion: There are a number of things that drop put of this article that are very important. Not many of you have interviewed or been told about an RV fire like we have. I have compassion, I have a very hard time listening to someone crying without my eyes watering. This is called empathy, which turns into compassion.

1) Trauma:

"recovering from traumatic injury due to a severe fire and explosion that occurred on their bus-turned-RV on Dec. 27, 2021."

Please note in the following two posts, trauma is reported:

Another RV Fridge Fire

Fridge Defend - Proof of Improved Safety!

2) There Home:

"a life of travel—free of the weight of mortgage and home ownership."

Thus, almost everything they owned went up in smoke.

3) Their Sweet and Tears:

"The Copelands purchased a retired bus from a Washington company in March 2019 for $15,000 and, in their backyard, gutted it down to the bones."

I do not know about you, but I can see hard work and craftsmanship here. This is nothing more than a major accomplishment! The whole time in construction, the dreams of where they go and what they do went up in smoke

4) Loss:

"Krew, and the eldest daughter, Pepper, stood stunned in the back of the bus between the bunkbeds. Kyle ran into the flames and pulled his two children out."

Although things worked out well enough, anyone that knows about fires, there could have very well been 3 people that died, this is a fact.

Anyone that is a naysayer about RV fires has very little compassion for the victims. I do not care if 1 person is a victim, or 10,000, if something could be done to prevent that one victim tragedy, it should be done.

The cause of the fire most likely will be unknown. This is due to the way fires are handled regarding RVs most of the time.

Thanks iRV2 for your commitment to helping RVers remain safe
Old 07-29-2022, 10:21 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Sorry all.. I didn't realize my link would do anything more than just display the article.

Re: "The couple had been attaching a trailer outside when their third child, Emree, 6, departed the RV bus and claimed that their propane heater was making noises."

Does anyone know if they were able to track down the cause of the blaze? I'm thinking the propane heater making "funny noises" probably meant that maybe a wasp or some critter plugged it up and it was catching fire at that point? I'm a strong proponent of installing wasp screens over vital vents.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 10:46 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
Sorry all.. I didn't realize my link would do anything more than just display the article.

Re: "The couple had been attaching a trailer outside when their third child, Emree, 6, departed the RV bus and claimed that their propane heater was making noises."

Does anyone know if they were able to track down the cause of the blaze? I'm thinking the propane heater making "funny noises" probably meant that maybe a wasp or some critter plugged it up and it was catching fire at that point? I'm a strong proponent of installing wasp screens over vital vents.

Yup - they put in an industrial propane heater meant for large buildings and it went kablooey. I have nothing to say about that whatsoever.

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar.../#.YuQN-BzMJPb
Old 07-30-2022, 09:42 PM   #11

I have great sympathy for that family but I always think, am I prepared for a similar crisis?
1) They built the coach themselves so I wonder if some safety system was not installed that comes built in on the commercially built rigs?
2) we have an escape window in the rear and we know how to use it. Was that not an option on theirs?
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome