Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2018, 08:24 PM   #15

Actually, if it not for "junk" mail the USPS could not stay in business, under present conditions there is not enough regular mail revenue to support keeping the doors open.

Wayne, have you "opted-out" of receiving promotional mailings on the GS website? I did right after we joined; it took several months to see any results, but now I only receive snail mail from ERS and medical assist, gonna drop medical assist as it is included in the dues for FMCA for much less money.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2018, 08:40 AM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ray,
Not yet. Only mail I get from them is their ESP (which I already have) and Medical Assist and insurance. I just tear them in half without opening and toss them. I'll look into opting out. Thanks.

As for FMCA Assist - it works. Friend had heart attack in FL. FMCA Assist provide Medical Equipped Lear Jet with medical personnel and flew him (and wife) back to Arkansas.Then the provided transport of MH and puppies. Not a penny out of their pocket.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:59 PM   #17

Wayne, i just discovered one cannot opt-out of snail-mail on the GS website now. You must call. "To unsubscribe from postal mail solicitations, please contact Member Services at 1-800-234-3450."
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 01-01-2019, 05:12 PM   #18
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's their stamp if they want to waste money. Unfortunately we pick up the cost in other areas.
I'll give the call a try.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:25 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I've done that with all junk mail. Stuff the postage paid return envelope with their (& others) propaganda & send it back to them.

L-

Never thought about that one.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #20

In our County (Pinellas County in Florida) we have a waste to energy plant. They burn waste to generate electricity and sell it to the power company (Duke Energy). My understanding is that 85% of all the waste collected and delivered is some kind of paper/cardboard product.... and it burns good.

Dear Good Sam... thank you for providing the fuel to create electricity.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Never thought about that one.
It’s unlikely to be effective. Call them and ask them to remove you from the mailing list. It’s the direct approach and it works.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
It’s unlikely to be effective. Call them and ask them to remove you from the mailing list. It’s the direct approach and it works.
I agree, it's ineffective, but it makes one feel good knowing they just doubled the USPS profit from that mailing.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I agree, it's ineffective, but it makes one feel good knowing they just doubled the USPS profit from that mailing.
When you consider that the bulk rate for an envelope is .18 and the PO can barely make ends meet at .55, an increase it the amount of bulk mail returned could have a negative impact on profits. I believe it makes one feel good when the envelopes stop arriving, that’s why I pick up the phone.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #24
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Post office does not return bulk mail so 18 cents is 18 cents in their coffers.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Post office does not return bulk mail so 18 cents is 18 cents in their coffers.
What I was referring to as returned bulk mail is the “postage paid return envelope “ included in the mailing to make it easier to sign up for that canine dental program or other irresistible offer. Returning that envelope with a note indicating that you are dead, or some other language attempting to discourage future correspondence, means the PO now has to do more leg work than if the envelope had been deposited in the recycling bin.

There probably aren’t enough people engaging in such behavior for the PO to even notice. All the best in your efforts to reduce unwanted solicitations in the mail.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #26
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I am a Good Sam lifer. It cost me a $34 onetime fee when the man was here.

I suspect I will get less mail after I went to FMEA for roadside assistance.

Now days I get mail from “Gander RV” in Madison, WI. They changed their name up here!

No more “Camping World” on the east side of Madison, WI. It is “Gander RV”.

Just an fyi….
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:35 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
It's unlikely you'll get a response from GS by posting on this forum. E-mail them directly for best results To answer your question, it is called marketing. It is no different from the messages and full page ads that appear in FMCA's monthly publication.

The most effective method I have found for reducing this type of mail is to call the phone number on the paperwork and ask to have your name removed from the mailing list. It may take more than one call. The great part is that if this is our biggest concern in life, we're doing pretty good.

Happy New Year.
Doesn’t work. I have been trying to turn off Good Sam SPAM for a month and if anything, the mailings have increased. I have called “Marcus”, emailed him, tried to turn off mailings on their web site, and have been corresponding with their customer service. No luck.
This started after I got a solicitation from them that looked like an invoice. It was very deceptive. I wrote Marcus to complain about it and asked to be removed from their mailing list. Almost immediately, the SPAM volume increased and now I get mailings from them almost daily. I called Marcus’ office. The SPAM keeps coming. I don’t want anything more to do with them.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
You are not the only one that does that. Unfortunately these days the responsible parties never see it, just some contract mailing service has to handle it...

But there are good stories out there... About a decade ago I saw a gentleman in the post office with a cardboard box in his hand, and a return envelope taped to the top... the envelope was a return envelope from the most recent democratic party fundraiser mailing. I asked him what it was and he said "about two pounds of their stuff".

A friend used to mail them bricks. They he became the radiation safety officer for his university, and switched to lead. It made him feel better, but I'm not sure it reduced his junk mail by much.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote