Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2021, 03:15 PM   #1

Death by 5th Wheel Driver

Just recently my wife and I drove up to Indiana for a funeral. Let me tell you it was the craziest drive yet. I have made this trip a 1000 times before. With the COVID stuff going on you would think it would be no problem. Oh no. first of all you need to plan ahead for hotel rooms. We had to stop for the night and couldn't find a hotel room no where. Had to finally drive an hour up the road to find a room. We never had an issue with trying to find a room just for a quick stay. Cars, trucks every where. There was soo many people on the road you thought it was a holiday.
Then we are about 30 miles from are final stop then this happen. Traffic ahead was slowing down then stop!! I had enough room for me to stop our car. There was a Mini Copper in front of me. Then I saw in my rear view mirror a guy towing a big 5th wheel in my lane. And HE WAS NOT STOPPING!! I knew he was not going to make it in time to stop. So I had to divert to the emergency lane. Other wise this guy would had hit me and push me into the Mini Copper. I would had kill the guy in the Mini. The guy in the 5th wheel was going over 80mph, cause I had to pass him to get around and couldn't hardly get pass him. Why in the world would you travel that fast in a 5th wheel. You have over 16,000lbs you have to stop. Crazy. When I saw him in the mirror he was hauling mail and hadn't even touch the brakes. He was already on top of my rear end. He couldn't had any brakes left after that. I am sure his wife gave him an ear full.
And I was about to trade our Class A in for a 5th wheel. That didn't help my cause with my wife. People go low and slow. and arrive safe.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2021, 06:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
65 mph is our top speed with the 5er. Sure the truck will pull it faster, but why? It is a lot to maneuver and stop so, play it safe. Some of the idiots out there are on a short schedule and think they have to make 600 miles in a day to make the most of a trip. They do not realize that they can pick destinations closer to home and travel much shorter days at much safer speeds.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:51 AM   #3
IC2

In the west I might touch 70 mph fora very short time and usually in error but normally I run 62 to 68 mph regardless. A couple years back in Wyoming, cruising along at my normal speed an identical set up to our rig including tow vehicle pulled out and passed us. No clue as to his speed but he was a small dot way ahead in less then a mile. Some folks hauling these 20,000 pound plus combined units have no chance of a fast stop at these ridiculous speeds.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 02:41 PM   #4

Just for grins, how logical is this?
"The guy in the 5th wheel was going over 80mph, cause I had to pass him to get around and couldn't hardly get pass him."

I would prefer a careless/reckless driver be in front of me rather than behind me.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 02:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
"The guy in the 5th wheel was going over 80mph, cause I had to pass him to get around and couldn't hardly get pass him."

I would prefer a careless/reckless driver be in front of me rather than behind me.
The coach driver would be the loser in the tv movie "Duel" with Dennis Weaver.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

I would agree with you on having him in front of me. But my exit was coming up soon and I was in the left lane. I needed to get over to the right lane and cars was lined up behind him. So my only choice was to speed up and get around him so I could get over. I hardly got around him, cause he keep speeding up. Crazy...
Old 04-18-2021, 10:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dads Toy View Post
I would agree with you on having him in front of me. But my exit was coming up soon and I was in the left lane. I needed to get over to the right lane and cars was lined up behind him. So my only choice was to speed up and get around him so I could get over. I hardly got around him, cause he keep speeding up. Crazy...
A better choice was for you to better anticipate your upcoming exit. Or to proceed to the next exit and make u turn. Crazy is as crazy does.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:36 AM   #8

I'm with T&W and Ray on this one. When there's lots of traffic, I slow down. Just to be safe. And I try to make it as easy as possible for those that want to pass me to pass.

Both in my car or my RV. Slowing down has the added benefit of giving me more time to find and safely head for my exit. It's rare that I ever have to panic lane change.

In my RV, there have been a couple times when I missed my exit or was slow in recognizing it was coming up, but I just drive on, take the next turnaround and head back.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:31 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my RV, there have been a couple times when I missed my exit or was slow in recognizing it was coming up, but I just drive on, take the next turnaround and head back.[/QUOTE]

West of the Mississippi that could easily be a 30 mile round trip.

Glenn
Old 04-18-2021, 11:52 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
ok DadsToy see how fast it was pointed out that you was totally in the wrong.
Glad everything worked out for the best. I do have one question. Under your screen name there is a picture of a man and woman walking in the moonlite. Asking for a friend, is the woman Dad's Toy?
Old 04-18-2021, 12:01 PM   #11

You had to pass him??

Had to cause exit was coming up.....

Slowing down/let him go by...then merge to right
OR pay attention to signage/exit numbers and plan ahead

Guy towing 5th wheel probably was spitting cause you cut him off and then short stopped due to traffic snarl

Sorry..but I think blame goes all around on this one
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:16 PM   #12

We're full timers that pull a 35' Montana. Always stay pretty close to 60 mph.

Ran across this video just yesterday. Just not worth getting in a hurry:

RS ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:22 PM   #13

Browsing his website I found another!!!

RS ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:30 PM   #14

'Tis merely a scratch. A bit of duk tape, WD40, and Krylon paint they'll be good as new.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, driver