Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Death on the Road

We just returned from a short trip today. While at the CG, a camper had a heart attached and passed away. He and his wife were a long way from home when this happened. It was very sad and to make things worst, she could not drive the coach, probably was too upset to drive, but may not have known how.

Is there some type of insurance or a membership in a group that will provide a service to bring the coach home in case of an emergency?
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
KIX

I think FMCA has a program of volunteers to do just that.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Yes they do. Then again there are stand by Sams with the Good Sam club. I pray that that lady gets home soon so her family can take care of her. I will keep her in my prayers.

Dan
Old 05-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #4

A friend and I have made an agreement that if either of us needed help such as that we would fly out and drive the coach back.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
FMCA has the right program for this. Once a year they publish a list of stand-in volunteer drivers that can help in an emergency such as this in then FMCA magazine. You would probably never be more than 50 miles from someone that would do this. Great organization.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
MASA MASA Assist - Emergency Air Ambulance Service to World Travelers

Though that URL does not seem right to me the page sure looks like it.

Now, the program changes from time to time but I paid a one time fee, as I recall about 4 grand, but my memory may be flaky there.

In the event of a medical emergency or DEATH they will fly both my wife and I (no matter which is alive or deceased or "in distress" (medical)) to the hospital or funeral home of our choice, They will pay for whatever the "initial evaucation" (The ambulance ride to initial hospital) is not covered by my health insurance, They will arrange a driver (Paid professional porter) for the motor home to any address I specify.

In short, they take care of everything save the funeral itself.

Page 2: You said "Had a heart attack"

AED's Automatic External Defibrulators... Can and DO save lives.. Check them out (GOOGLE please)

I'm trained to use a Lifepack model,, but to be honest they are so easy to use anyone who can read can do it.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
FMCA has a program that will get your coach home, kids home, the remains home. Program is called FMCAssist FMCAssist emergency medical evacuation
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
x2 on recommending joining FMCA. The FMCAssist is included w/membership, a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #9

My God that poor lady. My brother just died Tuesday and what a mess it is just to get him to a funeral home and make arrangements. I can't imagine being on the road and trying to do this in a strange city and not be able to drive the coach. I don't think most of us think about this and we should. I just joined FMCA.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi DRosedale,
SkyMed has an excellent reputation Their contact number is 800-475-9633. There have been personal testimonials from several members of the camping clubs I belong to. They have SkyMed and the FMCA service mentioned in previous posts. In every case, SkyMed did more than advertised. The FMCA service was lacking in response and empathy.

Read the terms and conditions before making a decision and depending on the service. If the service ever needs to be used, one will be in no mental shape to jump through hoops to get service.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:17 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We went with SkyMed after looking at other plans. It is a little higher in price, but if something happens to us on the road it is just one phone from having some one at SkyMed make all the arrangements for us.
GaryKD posted their number for all of us, give them a call.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
DRosedale, I see you belong to the Texas Boomers Club. These people are some of the best at helping someone that find themselves in a bad situation. In 2003 there were a few of us camping for the week between Christmas and New Year's at the Alabama Coushata camp ground east of Livingston, TX. I had the misfortune of having a heart attack while we were there. I was transported to Memorial Herrmann hospital in Houston by ambulance. Long story short. I spent a week in the hospital and then the doctor had us stay for another week so I could do some cardiac rehab. Rusty And Sandy Creekmore opened their house to us for a week and then another lady Mrs. Llana Nixon took me and my wife everyday to downtown Houston for my rehab appointments. Rusty went to the camground got our trailer and took it to the storage facility where it was stored at no charge to us. When it was time for us to leave we went to get the trailer. Rusty hooked the trailer up to our truck and then he and Sandy took us out to IH 10 where my wife took over the driving and we came home. I don't know what we would have done had it not been for our friends in the Texas Boomers. If you are out with them or need help they are just a phone call away.

Jerry
Old 05-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #13

What a testimonial. Rusty and Sandy, good for you!

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRosedale View Post
We just returned from a short trip today. While at the CG, a camper had a heart attached and passed away. He and his wife were a long way from home when this happened. It was very sad and to make things worst, she could not drive the coach, probably was too upset to drive, but may not have known how.

Is there some type of insurance or a membership in a group that will provide a service to bring the coach home in case of an emergency?
Last year during our annual 'get away from Mesa, Az heat, I awoke one day unable to walk. We called our SIL and flew him to our location and he drove us home. All's well that ends somehow!

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote