Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #1

Deer Behavior

Does anybody know anything about deer behavior? We have a large deer that seems to have taken up residence on our patio. It spends all day sleeping with its head right against our sliding glass door. It leaves around 3pm, and is back each morning.

It has a serious limp on one leg and a large lump that might be either an abscess or a tumor just behind that leg. I think it is rather emaciated, but I am not that used to seeing deer this close up in the winter, so I'm not sure.

We are planning on leaving for Florida next week, so I will need to unplug the heater in the bird bath where it drinks. I am hoping that I don't return to find a dead deer on my door step. I contacted DNR, but they were no help at all. Their advice is to do nothing.

Any suggestions?

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Take Bambi to Florida with you. It will really appreciate the warmer climate.
Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I'd let nature take its course.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:44 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Yikes. Hopefully, with shutting down his/her watering hole, that may be enough for it to go somewhere else.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Call local animal control, or a deer rescue, they can help in situations like this.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Call local animal control, or a deer rescue, they can help in situations like this.
The county animal control and the state DNR both said that it will likely recover on its own, and that we should do nothing.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
The county animal control and the state DNR both said that it will likely recover on its own, and that we should do nothing.

Joel
how about the humane society or animal shelter?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Remember that you will not do the deer any good by trying to keep helping it unless you want to actually keep it somewhat as a pet. As harsh as it sounds shut the heat off to the water and let it go. If it's hurt too bad you will not be able to help it anyway and if it's not then it will heal on it's own.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Remember that you will not do the deer any good by trying to keep helping it unless you want to actually keep it somewhat as a pet. As harsh as it sounds shut the heat off to the water and let it go. If it's hurt too bad you will not be able to help it anyway and if it's not then it will heal on it's own.
Hard to say isn't it? On one hand, it probably just needs some time to recover in a safe place, and who doesn't love to help animals? But on the other hand, you can't personally always be perfectly responsible for it either.

If it were me, I would of course leave the water on as long as I could, and I would probably put some deer feed out too. If the deer hung around as an adopted pet for a while, so be it.

If it was sick to the point where it was really suffering, I would put it down swiftly.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
oh and by the way, if I were leaving town and I HAD to shut off the water, I would shut off the water and let the deer fair on it's own.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Had similar issue with an elk. Made itself a home next to an in-ground plastic waterfall/pond landscaping arrangement (was on a high point on our lot). We got no help from the County until the animal died, unfotunately. Think elk/deer must instinctively seek safety at high spots, adjacent to water. We didn't know unitl they hauled the animal off, but it looked to have been grazed by a car and had worked its way up the plastic pond to recuperate. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Hard to say isn't it? On one hand, it probably just needs some time to recover in a safe place, and who doesn't love to help animals? But on the other hand, you can't personally always be perfectly responsible for it either.

If it were me, I would of course leave the water on as long as I could, and I would probably put some deer feed out too. If the deer hung around as an adopted pet for a while, so be it.

If it was sick to the point where it was really suffering, I would put it down swiftly.
agreed
we have anywhere from 2 to 16 or more that take refuge in our yard around the wood pile and help themselves to the bird food on the ground. this happens about 2 months out of the year, usually around hunting season

he may just need a safe place in his mind to heal up and then will leave.
if he is sick he will go out and depart and the coyotes or buzzards will get dinner, it may sound cruel but mother nature does know best
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #13

When is deer season?

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
When is deer season?

Right now here in North Florida.
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote