Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2020, 09:16 AM   #1

DEF in Jet Airplanes

On the front page of this morning's local paper (Punta Gorda Sun) there was an article about a couple of local air ambulance pilots losing both engines on a Cessna Citation and having to do a dead stick in Savannah.

What happened is that our airport fueling personnel added DEF to two of the companies Citations instead of JET fuel additive. The DEF was for the diesel fueling trucks. They have an additive for jet fuel and the bottles were stored in the same room. The fuel person grabbed the wrong bottles.

One Citation lost one engine and landed. The engines were ruined. The other plane lost both over the Atlantic headed for New England with patients aboard. With both engines out electrical power thus avionics were intermittent.They had to come in what they could see. Several times they lost sight of the ground and finally at 1500 feet saw the runway. It's engines were also ruined.

Both pilots aboard the dead engines plane were asked what they were thinking? They replied that they were too busy calculating distances and rate of descent to think about much else.

The local airport has asked the FEDS to exempt their fuel trucks from the DEF requirements because of their light use. They were denied. So, in the meantime they have fired the idiot who did it and now store DEF in a totally separate building.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2020, 10:16 AM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
So, jet jocks can actually be glider pilots... who knew? In all seriousness, there are people that should never be allowed near an airplane of any kind, let alone to fuel one. Wow...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:25 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Interesting, this happened a couple times before (DEF fuel contamination), I think last year. If memory serves me correctly, it was at the same ?FL? airport.

EDIT: I found a link. What's really scary is that it was at the Punta Gorda airport the last time, AND, the article goes on to mention 2018 and 2017 incidents. YIKES, they really do need to find out how this is happening!

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...dents-reported
DeWat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:08 AM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's what happens when pilots are to careless and think airports are offering valet service.
#1 rule I followed after I had an issue with a line-boy. Who damaged a fuel tank.
NEVER LET ANYBODY TOUCH YOUR AIRCRAFT UNLESS YOU ARE THERE TO WATCH.
I don't mean anything personal but jet jockeys have attitude! Most are used to Valet everything!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:26 PM   #5

Looks like time to find a couple pre 2007 fuel trucks.
TB673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:26 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lambert View Post
That's what happens when pilots are to careless and think airports are offering valet service.
#1 rule I followed after I had an issue with a line-boy. Who damaged a fuel tank.
NEVER LET ANYBODY TOUCH YOUR AIRCRAFT UNLESS YOU ARE THERE TO WATCH.
I don't mean anything personal but jet jockeys have attitude! Most are used to Valet everything!

Wow, you just condemned anyone flying jets! Ease up! Most of those jet jockeys are damn good pilots!
DennyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:10 PM   #7

One really does get what they pay for, whether it be a pair of socks or an employee.
To prevent that all it requires is a different type attachment on the storage DEF tanks than on the fuel tanks. A different size color-coded nozzle on the transport trucks DEF and fuel tanks will help too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:04 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
As a long time pilot, they beat it into our heads during Army flight training to have one of the crew watch the refueler. That keeps the refueler from putting jet fuel into recip engines tanks. And vice versa, although the jet will fly with basic aviation fuel...but not for as long or as well.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:46 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
It looks like the DEF was mixed into the fuel truck. No pilot would know unless a chemical breakdown was done. Luckily only 1 airplane was affected.
DennyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:44 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
100oct pleaseClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200720_112625703.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	305414
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:50 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Stinson 9E Reliant for those who might ask [emoji16]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:46 AM   #12

So, a quick comment on the original story. Lack of training, probably lack of pay, and unqualified personnel. Yet the airport management blames the Fed for not giving an exemption that all us have to follow. Yup, seems about right for the times.

Not knocking the OP at all, just what I got from the story. Luckily they were able to land. If this is multiple incidents at this airport, it's time to clean house.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:13 AM   #13

Knowing what I know about Punta Gorda,and the airport employees, I am sure I know the real reason for the 'mistake'.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:19 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Well after 39 years of flying turbo props and jets , a def fuel contamination is certainly a new one to me. For years it was always a battle to make sure that we were receiving prist in our fuel on aircraft that it was required. Prist usually came three ways, premixed, mixed at the truck, or mixed in thru a can. Of those methods mixing at the truck required more supervision .

Tags
air