Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2020, 11:30 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Did my rv kill my pepper tree?

short version:
we have a big pepper tree on the fence line with our next door neighbor. our driveway is dirt and three years ago we bought a 27k diesel rv and parked it in close proximity to the pepper tree.

the tree has essentially stopped leafing ~1/3 way up - it looks like a Tim Burton tree - and to us it seems the pepper tree is very.suddenly.dying :-(

how likely is it our rv’s weight has caused this death / damage?

(fwiw, the tree is likely 60-70 years old.)

my version:
we live in an older silicon valley neighborhood that used to be a farm. our home was built in ‘47, refreshed and expanded over the years; our street has no sidewalks and many of our homes still have dirt driveways.

our dirt driveway runs parallel to our neighbor’s paved driveway, with a fence running down our property line. on their side of the fence is an ~10’ wide dirt strip with drought-resistant plants.

ON our fence line sits a big california pepper tree with ~ 50% of the trunk on their side, 50% on ours.

three years ago we bought a 27,000 lb diesel that i park in our dirt driveway. i’m able to back it in so that its major weight area (engine) is 30’ away from the trunk, but there is still 27k lbs on the dirt driveway (and roots?). there are no roots visible and the coach leaks no fluids.

the tree has stopping leafing ~1/3 way up - it looks like a Tim Burton tree - and to us it seems the pepper tree is very.suddenly.dying :-(

how likely is it our rv’s weight has caused this death / damage?

(fwiw, the tree is likely 60-70 years old. about 10 years ago during an excessive heat spell a massive - and seemingly healthy - limb on our side suddenly broke off and crushed the roof of the prius parked under it.)

based on what i’ve indicated above, how likely is it our rv’s weight has caused this death / damage? my thinking is we’ll need to have an arborist evaluate the circumstances / tree and make go-forward recommendations.

i made this post on arboristsite and a moto forums, too - thx in advance for any / all experience-based feedback.
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2020, 12:32 PM   #2

Driving a heavy rig near a tree will compact the soil and starve part of the tree for oxygen/water.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
interesting, thx very much.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
arborist on-site 6/3 to evaluate go-forward plan, will post feedback if anyone is interested.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:27 PM   #5

Dying from the bottom up can be a sign of root rot/Phytophthora although that's usually a wet soil/poor drainage problem. Compacting of the soil can cause loss of aeration and drainage. If the roots one one side are covered with pavement, and the other side gets compacted, that can push it over the edge. Sometimes Phytophthora can be brought in on an infected nursery plant and travel from root to root. It's fairly easy to diagnose because there will be black/brown "threads" in the cambium layer and in severe cases the whole cambium layer near the base turns black. Sometimes one side of the tree with die first.

It could still be any number of pests or stresses caused by excessive drought or an extra wet winter. A stressed plant is more susceptible to disease and pests.

Yes, I'd be interested in hearing what the arborist has to say.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:59 AM   #6

What is the normal and usual lifespan of that tree?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:49 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Did my rv kill my pepper tree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
Dying from the bottom up can be a sign of root rot/Phytophthora although that's usually a wet soil/poor drainage problem. Compacting of the soil can cause loss of aeration and drainage. If the roots one one side are covered with pavement, and the other side gets compacted, that can push it over the edge. Sometimes Phytophthora can be brought in on an infected nursery plant and travel from root to root. It's fairly easy to diagnose because there will be black/brown "threads" in the cambium layer and in severe cases the whole cambium layer near the base turns black. Sometimes one side of the tree with die first.

It could still be any number of pests or stresses caused by excessive drought or an extra wet winter. A stressed plant is more susceptible to disease and pests.

Yes, I'd be interested in hearing what the arborist has to say.

lots of very good information, thank you very much.

re i’ve read varying info re lifespan of these trees, but it seems 50-80+ years is in the ballpark.

i’ll post the feedback when available.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
follow-up w/local arborist of 30+ years.

said he’d never seen sudden death like it in a pepper tree before without trauma such as extensive root damage due to trenching, etc. no visible reason - fungus, insects - as to why it died. said no to rv parking question.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:12 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
If you can get around the tree about 5-foot away in a circle take ground samples to your local county extension service as they can check the dirt to tell you what is in the dirt hurting the tree. Next, take water samples used to water the tree as that can also be tested. Browning sounds like a lack of SUN light. Also if you can find any wood branches take them in as samples all can be tested and should be free to do so. I do not know about the Burton tree just the artist Tim Burton.
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote