Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did You Ever Cancel ?

Did you ever have to cancel a vacation because your MH broke down?
My wife and I did yesterday because of the wonderful Workhorse Brake Recall and an ignorant repair facility that wouldn't look at it!
Needless to say I'm not to pleased. But I will say CoachNet was very helpful with getting us to the repair facility. In the end we limped the coach home.
It always seems though that no matter how I plan and maintain the MH something always seems to go wrong with it before we leave on a trip, our last trip out the engine thermostat failed.
Sometimes I think the thing is jinxed!

Regards,
RovinOn
05 Southwind 37C
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've had our trip end in the middle because of spring/shock problems and limped home. Very frustrating.

I have to compare all the problems to flight cancellations, layovers that weren't expected, fires at hotels that we've stayed at, and the emergency landing with firetrucks that i experienced. Oh yeah, and the cruise from he** that we took.

In the end, having your own bed and bathroom is so much nicer, at least to me.
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree, it is so nice to have your own bed, kitchen, bath and patio. I have broken down several times, but luckily, always got back on the road soon, except in 1996, broke down by Tyler, Tx. on the side of I10 for 12 hrs before we could get a tow truck. Seems the firstone forgot about us and road service quit answering the phone. I had a mechanic and he spent 10 hrs and $200 changing parts, then he decided he did not know what was wrong and got a tow truck to take us to the shop for the night.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can't disagree with any of your replies but having some of the constant nag issues I've had before leaving or during does wear a little thin.
With the recent Brake incident everything except for getting it fixed worked in my favor,,, as is it didn't catch fire, I caught the problem in time.
I'm sure it did no further damage since I got it home okay. I did have a safe place to pull over to when it occured and I had a good experience from CoachNet!

One other thing to add to your replies,,, Yep great to sleep in my own bed,,,,with no Bedbugs!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just had to cancel my trip to Lake Tahoe because of jacks problems. Brought the coach home the night before and found that the jacks control panel was dead. After messing around checking fuses, etc, I thought I had better check my slides. As soon as my slide started moving, all 4 jacks went down all the way and the pump wouldn't shut off. I had to kill the power to get it to stop. Couldn't get the jacks back up. Long story and much frustration later, I pulled the HWH control panel from in front of my radiator and shipped it off to HWH for repair and used the solenoids to lower the coach. Since control panel was now out of the coach, slides would not work. End of vacation.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our Winnebago dealer came to the State rally and announced that they got a whole pallet of brakes in for the recall. They said they could be contacted to make appointments. Of course they contacted our affected club members personally and made appointments for them before they made the public announcement. They sponsor our chapter. It pays to have a good relationship with a good dealer and inviting them to your happy hours doesn't hurt either.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I've left on a trip when I thought there was a good possibility of a break down... If it breaks I don't really care.. it's all part of the adventure called life... It's the UN-planned things that test your character and make life interesting. You don't remember things that went totally smooth... but you never forget things that challenged you.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:32 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Rick Long, great attitude, hope to keep the same kind as we move along in life. Life is full of adventure, good, bad, ugly. It's how you deal with it that makes it interesting
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Roof A/C failed on the way to Lake Havasu and rear axel started leaking while packing for another trip. Cancelled both
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Fuel tranfer pump quit in driveway before trip. Trip was changed to Camp Freightliner
Remember our rigs are made my man and they move.
Joe Ka6bud
ka6bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Things that went wrong

Can't say, that I had too much going wrong....
All the little troubles showed up after Take-Off as a Flyer or after we left Home with the RV. Always made it Home. Thanks for that.

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Like the above, a great attitude at the outset will be truly beneficial when things go wrong:

Please don't take this wrong...but I'm often amazed at some incidents that get blown-out-of-proportion and ends up ruining a trip needlessly. Varying technical abilities and agility aside, some people let small problems get magnified and make poor decisions under duress.

Sometimes it's the second or third "little thing" that breaks the proverbial camels back. Not a matter of severity; just a mathmatical sum that says to you "that's it". Our enjoyment is ruined!

A non-working A/C is a problem, but; a simple troubleshooting sequence could have saved the entire trip from being ruined. In a case like this Coach-Net is an invaluable resource. A small portable fan could be used in the interim to keep you comfortable until cool heads could get a grip on the situation. You can't just think right when you're hot & frustrated. Go get a cold brew, think-it-over, get some help and don't go ballistic over it.

Often a fellow camper has expertise or equipment that might help you in your time of need. I know the frustration when you at your technical limit & the dear wife has had it up to here. Nothing's left but to pack-it-in & head home. At a time like this you must get the anxiousness & stress level back down to an acceptable level so that you can think rationally again. Seek out some help & you will find that another's calmness will be both reassuring and helpful. Far too many of us are man-proud to go-it alone and fall far short when we should be seeking neighborly advice or help in these situations.

But, a problem with the jacks [for example] just isn't one of them. There is always an override method, move to a flat site,or simply borrow blocking & drive onto a temporary ramp. Ditto for the slideouts: just let her be for the evening & work around it. Calmly check off what might be the problem. Get another's help and survey the situation. Phone for advice. But, don't let the "hurry-up & get it fixed" prevail and force undue stress at a time when you need to be level-headed.

Vehicular problems are often over-stress as well. Barring an internal engine component failure [ know I will catch flak here] practically anything can be fixed, modified, shored-up or replaced in-site without having to call the Tow Truck. Heck, I'll bet you have 2 retired mechanics and an aviation mechanic within shouting distance; even if you're at a very remote location.

Just don't let the small stuff ruin your day.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With the last canceled trip in the past and the Coach brakes will be repaired on the 4th of October, We'll be heading out for Kentucky....
For some reason the Virginia trip was just not to be for some reason.
But the ugly thoughts of winter are now entering my brain!
Old 09-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Crossing the North Carolina border heading south for a couple of weeks. Engine started to overheat. Walked around the back of the coach and found coolant pouring out the bottom of the radiator. Coach net arranged service at Cummins Atlantic at Kenly, a few miles down the road. Inspection showed radiator was toast ffrom the road salt up here. Problem arose in getting a new radiator shipped in which took several days plus a weekend. So instead of Florida, we enjoyed CAs hookups and watched the traffic on 95.
Knowing the cancelation policy of the park we were headed for, I figured we were out of luck. The service writer at Cummins Atlantic took the time to call the paark and fax them telling we would be down for over a week. Park canceled for us and refunded our full fee.

Bill