Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2016, 09:07 PM   #1

Diesel fuel

My wife and I were out looking at motor homes today and the topic came up; if you have a diesel rig is there ever any difficulty locating fuel or do most service stations provide it?
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2016, 09:13 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Whaap,

Truck Stops/Travel Stations are the for sure spots, but if your looking for something close to your location, at any given time, the Gas Buddy App is what I always search.

There's probably more, but, that's what I use.

Rich
__03 15' Klamath SS w/30hp
r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #3

My experience is most do, but there are plenty that don't. Gas Buddy is a great tool as Rich shared.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:47 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Diesel fuel is everywhere...I get mine, when at home, at Wal Mart.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:07 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I've got 4 stations within 1 mile of my house that sell Diesel.

While on the road I use Gasbuddy to determine the best place to stop based on price. Most of the time there are several stations at these stops so I just pick the one with the easiest access.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:16 PM   #6

Google maps will also pull up stations with diesel. Never had a problem finding diesel. Diesel motorhome usually have large tanks and you don't need fuel as often, (My experience)
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:02 PM   #7

Find The Cheapest Truck Stop - TruckMaster Fuel Finder

Find The Cheapest Truck Stop - TruckMaster Fuel Finder

I frequently use this before beginning any trip. It lists the fuel prices and will also have a google earth photo of the station so I can determine if I will have easy access.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:41 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
finding diesel

In my experience it hasn't so much been a case of whether they had diesel but whether they had pure petro diesel or a bio mix of no more than B5. My older Cummins hasn't been converted to run mixes any higher than that. This seems mostly to be an issue in my home state of Oregon...haven't really encountered problems when traveling in the SW. Anybody else with older rigs had problems with this?
Sneelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:57 PM   #9

For 7 yrs (2007-2014) we traveled all over the USA (12 trips) using secondary/back roads (rarely used Interstates....hate traveling on interstates)
NEVER had an issue finding diesel fuel.........price, that's a whole different side

Diesel fuel is readily available........everywhere.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:34 AM   #10

When traveling and the coach says "Feed Me Seymour" Sharon will look in The Next Exit" book and and then she will look at GasBuddy for prices.

Something to keep in mind, if you are a member, many Sams Club and Costco stations have diesel at the most reasonable prices around.

But to answer the OP question, in 15 years driving a diesel, we have never had troubles finding diesel at stations that are built so we can get our 50+- foot total length in and out successfully.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:58 AM   #11

Many places have diesel bio blends that exceed the limits set on 2012 or so older trucks. That is the only reason we traded in our 2012 Ram because we were having issues finding diesel with 5% biodiesel. Most places the blend is much higher in the Midwest. There are some places where diesel can be hard to find. I-64 in western Virginia is one such place.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
My wife and I were out looking at motor homes today and the topic came up; if you have a diesel rig is there ever any difficulty locating fuel or do most service stations provide it?

I'd say no problem finding it, but the way some stations are designed makes it troublesome same as gas.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:48 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I find it's easier finding places to fuel up large diesel rigs, than large gasoline burners.

And I've owned both.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:41 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
but the way some stations are designed makes it troublesome same as gas.
X5

At least locally, the ones that have diesel are laid out for autos. Not something that you can't easily back. But, Gas buddy is your friend. Start with top tier Diesels and you will likely find one that is easy $ and near the city limits.. making access likely better.

Just got my first DP. And the experience of filling it up was educational. I gave priority to the professionals. They have money to make. I made sure I gave them room and offered them access to pumps first - even if I arrived before.

For fulltimers, I agree, Costco and sams, otherwise interstates will always have big rig/class A friendly fueling.

Tags
diesel, fuel