Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2019, 04:49 AM   #99

Engine or Block heaters yea plug in for the CG and HOME and diesel fired for the road or just diesel fired. They are the cats meow, quieter, less polluting, extend the life of your engine and can even provide you with heat while you sleep! Don't leave home without one this fall, winter, spring or summer.

Oh yea they are also very green and pollute a lot lot less compared to a cold start followed by idling. Europe has a law against idling so they make extensive use of these.

So far there is just one blue marble and naah we don't want to make a waste land of it, lets take care of it for all the humans yet to come.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 06:59 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Ninety posts in, and not one confession as to why one lets their diesel run for extended periods. Almost all the posts are people who apparently can tear down camp in five minutes, and idle out of the park silently. Where are all the perps who like to rev up their diesels at 5 am, while chatting for the next hour before pulling out. Do people really expect anyone to own up.
I personally have never observed
Anyone abusing this issue.

Most times I wake up and see a new neighbor that quietly entered their site sometime in the night.

Or some empty sites where a typical respectful person left out.

Personally, I turn on the aqua hot engine circulation pump the evening before we leave. If its below 50 degrees outside.
Before we go to bed we dump the tanks and bring in the slide.

In the morning we start a warm engine
And Idle on out.

I see most neighbors about do the same.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:18 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLowell View Post
I personally have never observed
Anyone abusing this issue.

Most times I wake up and see a new neighbor that quietly entered their site sometime in the night.

Or some empty sites where a typical respectful person left out.

Personally, I turn on the aqua hot engine circulation pump the evening before we leave. If its below 50 degrees outside.
Before we go to bed we dump the tanks and bring in the slide.

In the morning we start a warm engine
And Idle on out.

I see most neighbors about do the same.
Speaking of aqua hots, I have had those running next to me all night. They are not the quietest thing going. Some of them sound just like a generator running. We live with what we get. If the neighbor is a bit noisy, and we don't like it, we leave. Im not going to try to change the world, or go complain about something. Not my job to be the police. I will vote with my wallet.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:57 AM   #102

Aqua hots should run intermittently for a short time to provide heat to the zones and provide hot water.
A properly serviced unit should not smoke and if the cover is properly attached?
Not be heard when it does run.

I have to open my aqua hot service bay door
To hear mine run.
From inside its barely noticeable and if the tv or radio is on I cant hear it run at all.
We cant hear it from our bedroom.

I admit, some coaches have a different furnace than mine.

But I seldom notice a furnace cycling.

We never had a neighbor run a generator yet .

Unless we were in a rest area.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:02 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLowell View Post
Aqua hots should run intermittently for a short time to provide heat to the zones and provide hot water.
A properly serviced unit should not smoke and if the cover is properly attached?
Not be heard when it does run.

I have to open my aqua hot service bay door
To hear mine run.
From inside its barely noticeable and if the tv or radio is on I cant hear it run at all.
We cant hear it from our bedroom.

I admit, some coaches have a different furnace than mine.

But I seldom notice a furnace cycling.

We never had a neighbor run a generator yet .

Unless we were in a rest area.
Maybe you don't hear it inside, but from outside, they sound like a small generator running. Im assuming it was the aquahot furnace, as it was cool out. We were at a fairgrounds with 50 amp hook up, so Im assuming it wasn't their generator. What ever it was, had an exhaust pipe. I don't have that system, so Im not familiar with it. Just one more thing for others to complain about diesels. Might as well throw it into the mix. I think maybe some campers have diesel envy. lol
Old 09-14-2019, 08:48 AM   #104

Winnebago Owners Club
When you compare our AquaHot to the neighbors propane forced air furnace it is very quiet. When you compare both to the next neighbors heat pump we are both very quiet.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Speaking of aqua hots, I have had those running next to me all night. They are not the quietest thing going. Some of them sound just like a generator running. We live with what we get. If the neighbor is a bit noisy, and we don't like it, we leave. Im not going to try to change the world, or go complain about something. Not my job to be the police. I will vote with my wallet.
Your ( assuming ) its a aqua hot.
You don't know for certain.

I leave mine on electric mode 24/7
The way the thermostat is seton my unit.
The fuel burner only kicks in when its below 40 or so.
And then it may run 10 minutes every 2 hours or so on fuel burner mode. Unless its in the 20s
And since we spend winters, 4 months in Florida we seldom, never see 20s degrees even at night.

As I stated I only hear mine when im outside if I lift the aqua hot bay door.

I think your hearing a propane fired furnace.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:36 PM   #106

Nope, I got one of those, and I know what they sound like. This had a small exhaust pipe, about the size of a generator. It almost sounded like a small generator, but it was a 50 amp site, so I don't think they would be running a small generator. It was a large tag axle coach. Quite beautiful. I just assumed it had some kind of diesel heater.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #107

Could be
I was next to a 2018 Newmar King Air
For a month last winter.
He was backed in and I was Pulled in mext to him about 40 ft between lots.
It got down to high 30s andow 40s a few nights.
About 4 am I heard his Furnace fire up and run maybe 10 to 15 minutes.

It souned like a whole house propane fired furnace.

If he had an aqua hot in the king Air ?
It was 10 times bigger than mine and not enclosed like mine is.

A few times.
But even that was not annoying.

Now if it ran constantly like a generator
It could get anoying.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:27 PM   #108

Newmar Owners Club
107 posts of abusulty nothing to learn...........my Lord.........
Old 09-15-2019, 05:12 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSebastian View Post
I would like to know why some folks with diesel pushers need to idle their coaches for extended periods of time before the leave the RV park. I've seen people start up their coach and then proceed to do all the things required before hitting the road. i.e put in slides, retract levelers, drain tanks, disconnect water, disconnect power, all while the coach is idling.
WHY???
I have a diesel pusher and don't start the coach until I'm ready to put in my slides and retract the levelers. That takes at MAX 10 minutes and I'm gone. There is nothing more annoying than a noisy diesel idling when not necessary. Please consider fellow RVers.

Thank you.

Dan
All diesel engine mfgrs today discourage extended low idling, as it is harmful to the engine and dilutes engine oil with unburned fuel. Some states restrict diesel engine extended idling by law.

The reason some still continue the practice is ignorance, extended idling(20'- several hrs) was common practice 60 yrs ago.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:27 PM   #110

That's why owner operators at truck stops don't do it but the non-owner drivers do.

Tags
diesel