Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2019, 02:49 PM   #71

A timely thread, to be sure. Our particular RV Mfg recommends we have the engine running for the leveling jacks and electric slides as they run off the chassis batteries.

In our particular park at this time, has us backed up to another RV, and side by side with another pair, all 4 sharing the same power, water, and sewer spot. Not the most convenient, especially for the two that have the hookups on the 'wrong' side, but it works.

Three days ago, the newer DP directly behind us and our bedroom, pulled out at 7am. I only know that, because he told me he was going to do that the night before, but I never heard a thing. If he idled for a long time, it must have been very quiet.

Yesterday morning, at 6:30am, the RV (perhaps a 20 year old model) behind, and off to the side of our bedroom, cranked up his engine, and let it idle for over 30 minutes, before finally pulling out. It was extremely noisy. I had to get up and close our window to stop the fumes from entering our coach. I really have no idea what he was doing, I was tired, and very annoyed.

For me, I get everything inside and outside the coach ready to go in the morning. Following my procedures followed for the last 9 years, I start my engine, it runs for about 1-2 minutes to get the alternator on line putting out 14v, with proper voltage to the chassis batteries, I pull in the electric slides, then raise the jacks. While the jacks are raising, I unplug shore power, and do my walk-around inspection. It all might take about 5-8 minutes, and we can drive off, or shut the engine down if we have other things to do before departing.

If it is a particularly cold morning (say below 40), I plug in the engine heater for the hour that we prepare to move.

When parking, we pull into the space, extend the jacks for levelling, and extend the slides, then engine off. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes, sometimes 10 minutes, but we always try to be as brief as possible.

Its all about trying to be a considerate camper.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2019, 10:43 PM   #72

The manual says no

Our manual actually says not to let the engine idle for long periods of time. We usually break camp, start up the engine, get air up to pressure, and then drive slowly away. I usually drive slow for the first several miles to let the vehicle get warmed up. It also give me a chance to check all the gauges, mirrors, instrument panel and TPMS before we get too far.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:01 AM   #73

Wow angry MHers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJoe View Post
First post and you start out like this? Nothing more annoying than a diesel engine idling? You must live a charmed life if that is the most annoying thing you must endure. I would suggest that you consider your fellow Rvers also have minds of their own and are free to do things as they choose. You may be happier if you recognize this and do not allow the actions of others to affect your day. Welcome to the forum.

Who knew you MHers were such an angry bunch. "Nothing more annoying than..." is a turn of phrase, people. Certainly the OP, like the rest of us, is annoyed by lots of things that rude camping neighbors do.

Personally I hate the smell of all of your diesel engines and their belching smoke and stink all over the campground. I appreciate the OP posting that as his first question and the responses where the owners are making an effort to minimize that.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:01 AM   #74

American Coach Owners Club
So I was walking my dog this morning and as we went by a Gasser getting ready to leave, I noticed he was idling his engine. I could hear the noise and smell the fumes.

About 30 minutes later walking back to my rig they were hooking up their toad and were still idling. As I stood there wondering why I realized everyone else was peaking at me through their curtains, and they were absolutely certain that I had no dog poopy bags, I was looking for someone's water connection for my dog to pee on, or someone's concrete pad for him to dump on. Or maybe I was going to start a stinky campfire or let my kids ride their bikes.

So I scurried back to my rig and got online to peruse the irv2 forums to see if there were any posts about me and my dog and what we might have been up to.

I love the smell of diesel in the morning.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:54 AM   #75

As the older diesel coaches are replaced, you will not smell diesel fumes. Our '08 Monaco Dynasty had the DPF (diesel particulate filter) and there was nothing but 'air' coming out the tail pipe.

Our new coach is the same, no smell what-so-ever and our exhaust goes out the roof.

We do get a smell from our 20K generator but not much smoke at all, just a little on start up. It's in a hush box so you just hear a faint hum.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:40 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss68 View Post
So I was walking my dog this morning and as we went by a Gasser getting ready to leave, I noticed he was idling his engine. I could hear the noise and smell the fumes.

About 30 minutes later walking back to my rig they were hooking up their toad and were still idling. As I stood there wondering why I realized everyone else was peaking at me through their curtains, and they were absolutely certain that I had no dog poopy bags, I was looking for someone's water connection for my dog to pee on, or someone's concrete pad for him to dump on. Or maybe I was going to start a stinky campfire or let my kids ride their bikes.

So I scurried back to my rig and got online to peruse the irv2 forums to see if there were any posts about me and my dog and what we might have been up to.

I love the smell of diesel in the morning.
Thanks for a good laugh! You know I actually do like the smell of diesel exhaust, maybe from growing up around a trucking business and farm machinery. Not that I want to smell it all the time, but a whiff is not unpleasant.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:20 PM   #77

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
First post and you start out like this?

Nothing more annoying than a diesel engine idling? You must live a charmed life if that is the most annoying thing you must endure. I would suggest that you consider your fellow Rvers also have minds of their own and are free to do things as they choose. You may be happier if you recognize this and do not allow the actions of others to affect your day.

Welcome to the forum.
Wow SlowJoe, you obviously are one of those inconsiderate ones that thinks everything revolves around you. No one else matters, just you. I own a newer quiet non stinking DP and do not let it idle for longer than necessary or reasonable. Even though it is quiet and does not stink, it can still be annoying to others. I grew up With RVs. I owned my first RV when I was 17 yrs old and have had an RV for the following 40 years. My parents always taught me to be considerate of other people around me and think of how my actions could affect them. I too had an older DP fire up at 6AM next to me and idle for a good 30 mins while getting ready to pull out. After getting gassed out, I had to get up and close all the windows. Are people in their own little worlds anymore? How could they not think that would be offensive to other campers. Like the saying goes, “common sense is becoming more uncommon” and it’s really a shame.
Mrknnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:17 PM   #78

I guess people would really hate mine, 8.9 Cummins with 5" straight pipe, no muffler. It sounds great, but it is a little loud. can't hear it going down the highway so I don't care. I know it probably annoys other people, so I make it a point to not start it too early in the morning, and I only idle it as long as I need to get air pressure, then I slowly idle out of the park waving to the people who have come outside to see what's making all that beautiful noise.....
Flame on....
Old 09-01-2019, 06:48 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrknnee View Post
Wow SlowJoe, you obviously are one of those inconsiderate ones that thinks everything revolves around you. No one else matters, just you. .

You don't know anything about me. You have no idea what kind of person I am or how I treat others but you feel enabled to pass judgment on me. The OP was obviously trying to create a thread like this and he got what he was looking for. By my response, you are assuming that I am in the "PRO IDLE CAMP". However you are wrong to make any assumptions about me because as I mentioned, you know nothing about me. What I DO believe is that people should not judge others or let other people's actions affect their mood. Your response is a good example of my reasoning for both points.

The words of Hank Williams come to mind:

"If you mind your own business, then you won't be minding mine!"

The world would be a better place if people followed his simple advice...
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:47 AM   #80

I love Hank and his music. Unfortunately if no one ever spoke out about camping etiquette and boorish behavior then we would probably have a lot more of it and the recreational pass time that I enjoy and have invested in becomes less valuable to me.
I remember when (long before RV's were used for full timing and or economical purposes) folks were a lot nicer to one another. Folks did not live in campgrounds unless they worked there. People didn't get up at 3 AM, fire up their noisy truck and haul butt to a job.

By no means am I trying to put anyone down for their economic situation. I'm just saying that folks don't choose to be poor but they can choose to be nice.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:58 AM   #81

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01blueox View Post
an RV Park is just a nice truck stop,,,,,,
You mean to tell Me that they Ain't???..... Who'd a Thunk It !!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:21 PM   #82
BRP

I’m new to Diesel, but I have discovered on my two large slides occasionally a low power is displayed at the switch. I idle long enough for the light to go off , slides then come in.
BRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:48 AM   #83

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
You don't know anything about me. You have no idea what kind of person I am or how I treat others but you feel enabled to pass judgment on me. The OP was obviously trying to create a thread like this and he got what he was looking for. By my response, you are assuming that I am in the "PRO IDLE CAMP". However you are wrong to make any assumptions about me because as I mentioned, you know nothing about me. What I DO believe is that people should not judge others or let other people's actions affect their mood. Your response is a good example of my reasoning for both points.

The words of Hank Williams come to mind:

"If you mind your own business, then you won't be minding mine!"

The world would be a better place if people followed his simple advice...

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!
Enough said.
Mrknnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #84

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My gosh, all the life altering complaints (pick one, there's plenty to choose from) should make a new RV'er think twice about putting out all that money and dreaming of happy fellow campers sitting around the campfire. At my age and probably like you, you've been around the block a few times and seen things that irritated you and that now really mean nothing. With all the things that could go wrong in life, you should be happy just to be here. Let it go!! What's to gain about getting all up tight! Not worth it. Is the words of Sgt. Hulka, Lighten up Francis.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel