Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2020, 06:50 PM   #43

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When I first brought home my gently used 35’ class A, I was merging on to a limited access freeway on a long down hill ramp, wife following me. Some jerk driving a 5 class BMW like he just stole it weaved thru the cars behind me, passed me by running off the ramp on the left into the dirt merge area then back in front of me and stomped his brakes. Air horns and air brakes to the max, then he had the _all’s to flip me off!
First project: I installed an I beam horizontally on the front end of the frame rails inside the fiberglass front end. Can’t see it untill you open the front hatch for the genset. This was formally a 6’ vertical guard rail post from a state highway that held wire guard ropes to prevent cars from crossing the median and doing a head on into opposing traffic. Reason? It protects my $6K genset, and gives a massive punch to those who feel a brake check will only damage some fiberglass. Yes it added a bit of weight, I did do some creative trimming to lighten it. Best guess is 45 lbs.
Then I added a dash cam able to quickly plug into the coach tv to show the responding officer who did what. Being a former officer, I had arrested the driver in two incidents where the 18 wheeler showed me his dash cam evidence, car spiked their brakes for no reason and caused an accident. Arrested car driver for aggravated assault & criminal damage, first charge being a felony. It held up in court. Massive fines and loss of license.
Like Mr. Coopers’ song says, “No more Mr. Nice Guy!”
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2020, 09:00 AM   #44

In Indiana it's unlawful to have any cellphone in your hand while operating a motor vehicle. More states should have that law.
Steve578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
For under $40 you can buy a 150db air horn with it's own compressor.

I bought one for our rig and it more than paid for itself first trip out. A guy was backing out of a parking spot in a small town as I was driving by. One big blast from my new horn, and he quickly popped back into the parking spot.

BTW, I also have a dashcam.

Happy Glamping.
Thanks for the link. Price is definitely right. How long have you had them? How have they held up? Is there a delay when you hit the button? How long will they sound off?

Sorry for so many questions!
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc70 View Post
You can fix stupid

No I am sorry, you cannot fix stupid. They have been trying on me for years and no luck.
bemmy miffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:06 PM   #47

25% of drivers are aggressive or impatient, 25% are seriously distracted, 25% are sort of paying attention, and 25% are driving cautiously and defensively. We try to always be part of the last group! The more crowded the road, the less courteous drivers tend to be.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:42 PM   #48

What Kind and name brand is your Dash Cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armullis View Post
I have a Dashcam installed in my coach. I may not be able to stop the "distracted idiot" from hitting me, but I will be able to say "Officer....I have video".

I have had those moronic drivers who hate big RV's getting in their way to cut me off and do the "break check" on me. Scared the daylights out of me! The Dashcam will prove me right when I tell the officer "I have video".

I was thinking of getting a dash cam, but I wasn't sure what kind to get. Any help would be great.
Jim Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:44 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kxbronco View Post
Thanks for the link. Price is definitely right. How long have you had them? How have they held up? Is there a delay when you hit the button? How long will they sound off?

Sorry for so many questions!
I have had mine for 2 years now. Still working great.

It is pretty much instant when I push the horn button.

If you just want to give a little toot, just tap the horn button. But hold it down, and it wakes up the dead!

Just try to get the horn as close to the compressor as possible. The shorter the better, as it takes a second to buil build up pressure.

I got mine from Amazon, but I'm sure there are other sources.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:48 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrews View Post
I was thinking of getting a dash cam, but I wasn't sure what kind to get. Any help would be great.
Most will work just fine, but look for one that has a battery that can stand the heat of being in the sun on your dash.

Be sure to use a good quality SD card also, as they must be able to be over-written many times.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:03 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
My 150 Decibel train horns work great for those folks....and those that can't merge....
I want a set of Nathan K5LA Air Chimes!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:44 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
Well, I kinda disagree... driving a big rig IS an art form IMHO! A good MH or commercial driver always pays attention to what's happening down the road and plans ahead! That way, he/she can stop safely; stopping a big rig requires different technique and much more stopping distance. So, a good driver of a big rig is practicing driving arts and skills. But the OP in his original post WAS stopped. Not a hell of a lot he could do but watch the event. His air horn may have saved the day for him, and again, he was watching and being proactive.!
I totally agree. It used to be called defensive driving.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:49 PM   #53

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was a corporate pilot most of my life and also blessed in later years to fly most times we traveled over 100 miles. I retired three years ago and we bought a rv. Gees, I had no idea how crowded the roads have got or how many bad drivers are out there. Very scary!
Lez8ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:34 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lez8ma View Post
I was a corporate pilot most of my life and also blessed in later years to fly most times we traveled over 100 miles. I retired three years ago and we bought a rv. Gees, I had no idea how crowded the roads have got or how many bad drivers are out there. Very scary!
I don't know, some days when I look up into the beautiful skies and see hundreds of contrails criss crossing the big blue expanse above us, I wonder about all of the planes and how crazy it looks. Everyone going in a different direction. Very Scary. And to think, when you are piloting a bus up there you don't even have a bodacious airhorn to use so you can vent your frustrations.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:32 AM   #55
IC2

Speaking of contrails - has anyone else noticed that there are REAL clouds now instead of an overcast now that most airplanes are sitting in the Arizona desert, parked until further notice
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote