Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel B View Post
My periodontist did 2 implants in the front/top,($1,600. each, plus the cost of a crown-cap) and whenever I need a tooth pulled I go to him and he fills in the empty spot with freeze dried bone, that way if I need another implant later the spot is solid and ready, and the gum area does not sink in, he showed me snap-on dentures with no fake gum area, just the teeth against your own gums, he said you need 3 implants in a tripod pattern to do it, they felt like the snaps on a cowboy shirt. He also does sinus lifts when people have been missing top molars for a while and there is not enough bone and things droop.
I have customers with dentures that come into my place with horrible bad breath, and a few who click their dentures when they have nothing to do, weird habit.
My dentist thinks it's time for a top denture, but my periodontist thinks my OEM's are worth saving. I don't like the look of most dentures, I call them Unitooth, like one big tooth with no spaces in between, they look fake from 50 feet away.
RIGHT, here is what I was looking at, in researching;http://http://www.eonclinics.com/dental-implants/
They say they can go into the sinus cavity and "sprinkle" ground up bone and it "seeds" and grows missing bone for missing teeth. THATS good, and so bone loss isn't permanent. And the implant is possible for anyone... except the price of getting a healthy mouth! We all want to stay the march of time; and keeping our good looks shouldn't be like staring are the cost of a new car! My DH's friend has gone to a dental college to get 6 implants done and it will be $16,000 .
What dental insurance out there pays the 50% for implants?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel B View Post
My periodontist did 2 implants in the front/top,($1,600. each, plus the cost of a crown-cap) and whenever I need a tooth pulled I go to him and he fills in the empty spot with freeze dried bone, that way if I need another implant later the spot is solid and ready, and the gum area does not sink in, he showed me snap-on dentures with no fake gum area, just the teeth against your own gums, he said you need 3 implants in a tripod pattern to do it, they felt like the snaps on a cowboy shirt. He also does sinus lifts when people have been missing top molars for a while and there is not enough bone and things droop.
I have customers with dentures that come into my place with horrible bad breath, and a few who click their dentures when they have nothing to do, weird habit.
My dentist thinks it's time for a top denture, but my periodontist thinks my OEM's are worth saving. I don't like the look of most dentures, I call them Unitooth, like one big tooth with no spaces in between, they look fake from 50 feet away.
Sounds like you have a Peridontist that has continued learning new things; nice!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:14 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Since I'm considering a single implant of a tooth, Doc, how about this discrepancy I'm reading here and in other posts? Does the best work take 10 months, much of it waiting to heal, or can an implant actually only take 2 weeks?
There are certain ideal cases where an 'immediate' implant can be placed. But they are rare. Ive seen many implant failures due to loading of the implant prematurely.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #46

Years ago, I had a 2-in-1 cap. 1 molar cap with 2 teeth on it. It lasted until the capped tooth failed. Maybe 5+ years.

I now have a full uppers and 2 lower implants to support full lowers. It takes about 4 months for the titanium implants to fully adhere to the jaw bone. With the blessing of my dentist, I "adjusted" a couple of sore spots myself with a dremel tool with a small grind stone attached. I can eat Corn Nuts.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Years ago, I had a 2-in-1 cap. 1 molar cap with 2 teeth on it. It lasted until the capped tooth failed. Maybe 5+ years.

I now have a full uppers and 2 lower implants to support full lowers. It takes about 4 months for the titanium implants to fully adhere to the jaw bone. With the blessing of my dentist, I "adjusted" a couple of sore spots myself with a dremel tool with a small grind stone attached. I can eat Corn Nuts.
In my mind a crown (cap) is a failure if it only lasts 5 years. Most insurance companies will not pay for replacement in anything less than 5 years. I never did like the physics of a cantilever bridge. As I felt it hastened the demise of the attached tooth. That is a good place for a single tooth plant. The use of an 'overdenture' dramatically improves the retention and function of a lower. Adjusting a denture for high spots is not rocket science but can be overdone.
Sounds like you had a decent dentist at least in theory.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
I am in the six month waiting period for my implant to stabilize for the implant to be installed.Front tooth gone so.... I look like a picture for the redneck calendar photo. My dr had to use human bone around implant fo fill. My question to him was it tested for HIV and hapatitis. So far so good done in Nov new tooth in May
papa&susu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #49

Without digging through my receipts, it could have been 8-10 years. Don't remember.

I had my dentist adjust them once, but I wasn't going to drive 15 miles round trip, every time I got a sore spot. I used Play-Doh to detect the high spots.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa&susu View Post
I am in the six month waiting period for my implant to stabilize for the implant to be installed.Front tooth gone so.... I look like a picture for the redneck calendar photo. My dr had to use human bone around implant fo fill. My question to him was it tested for HIV and hapatitis. So far so good done in Nov new tooth in May
Freeze dried allograft human bone from the right sources is perfectly safe. It has been tested and the process of preparing it also helps. There has NEVER been a documented case of disease caused by allograft from a reputable source. BUT the bone is expensive and thats one of the reasons you pay dearly for the procedure. One of the problems with cut rate dentistry is that one of the places they can cut the cost is in where they get the supplies.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #51

Quote:
Without digging through my receipts, it could have been 8-10 years. Don't remember.

I had my dentist adjust them once, but I wasn't going to drive 15 miles round trip, every time I got a sore spot. I used Play-Doh to detect the high spots.
Good ad-lib with the play-dough but I'm not sure about the toxicity.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #52

It's spelled Play-Doh and it's made for kids. Just how toxic could it be?

Old 01-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #53

Quote:
It's spelled Play-Doh and it's made for kids. Just how toxic could it be?
Thats a good point but you never know. I dont trust anything that copies the funnies. And that is sure an 'off label' use.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #54

Dunner,
BTW we will be headed for your neck of the desert the end of the month. We start a volunteer gig at Boyce-Thompson Arboretum.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #55

I asked the dental assistant where I could get the indelible ink sticks they use and was ignored. Art store had no idea what I was talking about when I asked for indelible ink pencils. My other dentist said to use lard, but I have not had much luck with that. Besides, the Doh is re-usable. I use it in my shop for making epoxy molds for connectors, etc.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #56

Quote:
I asked the dental assistant where I could get the indelible ink sticks they use and was ignored. Art store had no idea what I was talking about when I asked for indelible ink pencils. My other dentist said to use lard, but I have not had much luck with that. Besides, the Doh is re-usable. I use it in my shop for making epoxy molds for connectors, etc.
How do you sterilize it?