Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #57

For annoying calls, you can check certain websites to see what's what about them. A couple sites are Caller Complaints - Stop Telemarketers And Annoying Unknown Callers - CallerComplaints.com and Report a Phone Number - Annoying Calls - Fraudulent Phone Calls - Scams

I found these because I had numerous phone calls a day on my cell phone from someone claiming that I owed money and was a about to be taken to court. Since I didn't owe anything at the time aside from my mortgage, I looked up what these calls were really about and found a way to call someone "in charge" to let them know they had a wrong number. The calls ceased after a few days. On my home line, I let my machine answer and in busy times of the phone calling calendar, I let the message space fill up so they can't leave a message. Anyone who needs to contact me knows my cell and work number. The point is made and I can relax in my own home.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #58

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi baraff,
Yep, unfortunately the victim must do all the work to have the law complied with.
True, but you also get all the pay.

I will do SOME of the work for you

US code, Title 47 Section 227
Old 12-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You may be getting calls from credit card company you do business with. I was getting many calls from something called credit card services, despite beingonthe dnc list. I called the companyand they admitted theywere calling with offers to lower my interest. I never carried a balance on the card. I told them to cancel the card and have not gotten another call since.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #60
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Report fraud and telephone scams to the [url=http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/phonefraud/index.shtml]Federat Trade Commission[/ur](FTC).

Way back when the credit card services scam was being initiated in the US. First time I reported it, the area code was out of Florida. It was shortly after that when these scams/frauds were being imitated from outside the US. The Do Not Call list does not work for out of country solicitors.

Be very careful if you ever respond to the credit card services. Many are just phishing exhibitions to get you to give up your card number.

As stated previously, they can check to see if the algorithm of the numbers are good.

10-15 years ago there was a web site called "discard" or something like that where you could generate a legitimate Credit Card number (one that met the algorithms of over 150 banks) I believe that web site is still around today. Credit card scams, fraud, and phishing calls have been going on for a very long time.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What urks me to no end is that the politicians managed to exempt themselves from the dnc list. I can tell you I will NEVER vote for a politician who makes spam calls. This is 2011 and anybody who does this is hopelessly out of touch with the electorate and way behind the times. They won't get a vote from me.

Anybody listening in Washington?

Nah, I didn't think so....
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The law you cited is Title 47 Section 227, Same titled "Restrictions on Telephone Use"

Check it out... you see the "Teeth" in the law is your ability to sue the caller who violates the DO NOT CALL for 500/call, and the judge can triple that if he wishes.

And if anyone knows of a lawyer who will take such cases on speculation.. I have one caller who owes me over six grand straight, 18 if trippled.
Have you ever tried suing somebody - and collecting? It cost a lot of up-front money with slim chance of ever seeing any return. Even if you get a judgement do you think that these are the kind of people who are going to pay? They'll shut down and start up again under a different name. MHO and experience.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
What urks me to no end is that the politicians managed to exempt themselves from the dnc list. I can tell you I will NEVER vote for a politician who makes spam calls. This is 2011 and anybody who does this is hopelessly out of touch with the electorate and way behind the times. They won't get a vote from me.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post

Can ya hear me now? Can ya hear me now?

You need to get a more expensive lobbyist.

Go down to K street with your AMEX card. You will find a whole bunch of new best friends.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:34 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKat View Post
For annoying calls, you can check certain websites to see what's what about them. A couple sites are Caller Complaints

I put in my EX-GF's number and it came up "Spoofed Number". Sounds like a legit site to me.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #66

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by larcougar View Post
this is what I have said,I ask if they have a pencil or pen
and some paper and they said yes then I told them to write
this down don't call this number again it worked for me.
You do realize that was "Shirley" you were talking to?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:47 PM   #67

And don't call me Shirley !

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:57 PM   #68

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We get one or two calls a day (even on Sunday's), the calls come through as "Toll Free" from various numbers. I never answer them, although I did pick up and disconnet about a second later. About 30 min later I got another call from them which I ignored.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #69

Ford Super Duty Owner
Has anyone tried any of the free aps for Android or IPhone? I just downloaded one for my Android just to see if it works. It will send all calls not in my call to list to voice mail without the phone ringing. Then I can review the calls and the spam calls I can add to the Blacklist and the calls I want I can add to the white list.
Now if my idiot sister in California will just leave a voice mail . She has her number blocked and I will not answer calls with blocked numbers and she will not leave a message.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #70

Tell said sister to dial *82 before your number. It temporarily removes her number blocking. She can put it in her contact list and not even have to enter it every time. I have friends that refuse to leave a message too.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote