Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
donotcall.gov; anybody else notice it's not working?

When congress passed the do not call act a few years back and the registry was established, I was impressed because it seemed that this was something that actually worked. Our junk calls virtually ceased overnight.
In the last year or so I have noticed that scofflaws are blatantly ignoring the law and once again are cold-calling, usually for debt-reduction, interest-reduction scams, only this time they are calling cell phone numbers. I get at least one of these calls a day. (And I have no debt or loans to reduce interest on) I never answer my phone unless I recognize the number and these calls are being left on voice mail.
I am filing complaints but nothing seems to be happening. Anybody noticing the same problem?
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi baraff,
Yep, unfortunately the victim must do all the work to have the law complied with.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have noticed it too. [moderator edit]
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #4

We decided to use a different approach rather than the do not call list. We have unpublished phone numbers for both wired and wireless phones. Even telephone information operators do not have access to these phone numbers. The only unwanted calls we get are wrong numbers, and computer-dialed calls. I think it costs $2@month for this service, but it works very well.
One thing folks using the do not call list realize is, there are exceptions in that law allowing non-profit, religious, and a few other organizations to may make cold calls on the list. This means they have a government sponsored phone number list to use.
This link explains it in detail.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
@Ray, interesting approach, and maybe one I will consider. However its a little perturbing to have to spend extra $ to get some privacy, even if it is only $2 a month.
And the only time I ever hear from our congress crittur is in the months before an election, when I am inundated with recorded phone calls. I refuse to vote for her based on that alone. GRRRRR!
But that's for another thread.......
Old 10-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #6

I may be mistaken but I thought Do Not Call lists had an expiration date. I think you may have to reenlist?
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksmom View Post
I may be mistaken but I thought Do Not Call lists had an expiration date. I think you may have to reenlist?
Originally that was true. However, I believe a law was passed in 2009 making registration of a number permanent. You can also verify your number is still registered.

From the website FAQs:
Will My Registration Expire?

1. How long does my phone number stay registered? Telephone numbers on the registry will only be removed when they are disconnected and reassigned, or when the consumer chooses to remove a number from the registry.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksmom View Post
Nope, supposed to be permanent.
I get at least two calls a day, they show as "TOLL FREE" on my caller ID. I just don't pick them up, in fact if I don't recognize the caller I don't answer.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #9

I am on DNC listing. I get those calls for credit card offers, bank deals now and then. Wonder what this would be like if I wasn't on the DNC list? Since banks cannot read the listings, I would hope since my name isn't on this listing no one would now call me? Guess I shouldn't of signed up for this advertisement.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
When congress passed the do not call act a few years back and the registry was established, I was impressed because it seemed that this was something that actually worked. Our junk calls virtually ceased overnight.
In the last year or so I have noticed that scofflaws are blatantly ignoring the law and once again are cold-calling, usually for debt-reduction, interest-reduction scams, only this time they are calling cell phone numbers. I get at least one of these calls a day. (And I have no debt or loans to reduce interest on) I never answer my phone unless I recognize the number and these calls are being left on voice mail.
I am filing complaints but nothing seems to be happening. Anybody noticing the same problem?
This is political season and calls from pols are allowed. Also, places you have done business with can call you.

However, we have 2-cell phones and haven't seen any increase in calls.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #11

Still get unwanted calls.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My home phone system screens my calls, and automatically greets "800, unknown name, private name" with a message asking for a non-toll free landline to be entered before proceding, and calls not in my dialing list with a message asking the caller to state their name, which gets broadcast over the handsets. If I don't know em, we don't talk right then, they can leave a message.
As for the 2009 ruling, the old list still expired, only the registrants post-09 will be permanent.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff;982855...
And the only time I ever hear from our congress crittur is in the months before an election, when I am inundated with recorded phone calls. I refuse to vote for her based on that alone. GRRRRR!
But that's for another thread.......
I not only do not vote for the politician, I call them or send a polite (i.e. no swear words) nasty email letting them know why I won't vote for them. I punctuate my disatisfaction by telling them that even if politicians are exempt from the DNC, if they cared about their constituency, they would honor it anyway.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #14

iRV2 No Limits Club
I've got only one telemarketer (goes by the name of Card Services and is calling from Boca Raton, FL; an appropriate location since boca raton means rat mouth in Spanish) who has been consistantly bugging me on my home phone for the past six months. Their recording has an option to not receive further calls from them. It doesn't work. I asked to speak to a supervisor one time, was placed on hold for a minute, then was disconnected. I've complained to the police, the DNC, and the FCC (per the police). No luck. There was a segment on the local news last night about telemarketers ignoring the DNC (Card Services was one they mentioned) and the newsies suggested reporting the scum to the FTC.

I don't get many telemarketing calls on my home phone anymore because I just do not give out my phone number any more. If a business refuses to do business with me without a phone number, I give them a fake number with 555 in the prefix (any phone number with 555 in the prefix will go to directory assistance; that way, some innocent person will not get my junk calls).

I've received only one telemarketing call (actually, the same outfit called three times and left a message) on my cell phone, again because I never give it out except to close friends. The one outfit that did call me I shut down because I lived close enough to them to make good on a threat to personally visit them with a bill for my time and their use of my phone and camp out there until paid.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote