RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2020, 10:52 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dow Jones over 30,000.....

So.....for every seller of stock or a group of stocks, there is a buyer. Until there are no more buyers. That seems to be an established fact.

With electronic/flash trades probably billions of trades are made each day. Are currency traders included in the DJIA ? Firms are making 0.01 cent per trade and that is a lot of pasta.

What am I getting at ? Durned if I know

How are your pension plans and IRA's doing right now ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2020, 11:10 AM   #2

No doubt a crazy year. At one point we were down enough to pay for a new Bus. Now we’re up more than I made in a lot of my working years. My wife says it all goes to the kids anyway. My goal was to run out of money and run out of breath at the same time.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjohnson913 View Post
No doubt a crazy year. At one point we were down enough to pay for a new Bus. Now we’re up more than I made in a lot of my working years. My wife says it all goes to the kids anyway. My goal was to run out of money and run out of breath at the same time.
I always say I want the check to the undertaker to bounce.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjohnson913 View Post
I tell my kids not expect a lot of money but they will probably be able to have a heck of a garage sale.
sanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:58 PM   #5

Last four years have been great for the 401k. Not going to go broke after all. Ready to get back on the road. Like others just waiting for this Covid stuff to be over. Safe travels.

Enjoy the journey
Old 12-01-2020, 07:54 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I quit trying to guess what might happen next. When the Covid first started to spread I was sure the market would go down big time. It went down a little and then bounced right back. Doesn't really make sense.

I look at my accounts at the end of each month to track he difference. This last month my accounts went up +10% so I am pleased. Hope it continues.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:16 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It has been a wild year. November was great for the market.
Not sure if that was vaccine hopes, new president hopes, divided government hopes, or companies making money but stock market times are good.

I am hoping for Dow 40,000.

Hal and Pam
2017 Entegra Cornerstone - B
2020 Ford Edge ST
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:07 AM   #8
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
What goes up, must come down.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:45 PM   #9

Yup, the economy has done quite well. Last July I withdrew $10K from an IRA, by Sep the IRA had recouped the $10K and is another $3k higher now.

RRR is right what goes up must come down, then will go back up at some point. Tesla is the ultimate example IMO. I wish I'd had the good sense to follow an acquaintance's advice 12 years ago, he's a millionaire today.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:42 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you look at a chart of the Dow Jones Avg going back 100 years, you will see a lot of downturns. The Great Depression WW2, Korean War, Kennedy’s death, etc. the market always bounced back and went higher. The stock market trend, long term, is an up movement.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:31 PM   #11

Crazy year for sure, by April I had lost just over 100K this year. Now, made all that back plus made 137K on top of that. Put nothing in to it this year as I am out on disability.

Goal is to have enough to last until my early 90's, with a good standard of living.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:40 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Yup, the economy has done quite well.

Dont confuse the economy with the stock market. Although, the stock market does better when the economy is doing well, right now the economy is not doing well. About the same day the Dow Jones hit 30,000, 25,000 people in Dallas Texas waited in line at a food bank to receive food before Thanksgiving.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/thousan...bank-donation/
Old 12-04-2020, 02:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
Dont confuse the economy with the stock market. Although, the stock market does better when the economy is doing well, right now the economy is not doing well. About the same day the Dow Jones hit 30,000, 25,000 people in Dallas Texas waited in line at a food bank to receive food before Thanksgiving.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/thousan...bank-donation/
Market is doing great. Economy was fantastic until covid. Economy was recovering well, until the lates round of lock downs.

What do you expect when the governor will not allow business to open? When everything but big box stores are closed. Thats what is hurting the economy. Its self inflected. Open everything and it will take off like gang busters.

Certain sectors are doing Great. Marina a few miles from my house has had his record year in boat sales, has owned the business 30 years. Harley dealer near me, record sales, owned the business 16 years. RV dealers are about sold out of new units.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:37 PM   #14

As John Bogle, the founder of Vanguard, says the key is to stay invested - in the long run you will come out smelling good. Sure, the dips are unpleasant but virtually nobody is consistently successful timing the dips and peaks.
Gammel is offline   Reply With Quote