Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #1

Heartland RV Club
Driver Films Alleged Texting Crash

MJ Morning Show Main Feed - MJ Morning Show

This dumb dumb should not be able to ever own a cell phone or drive a car again for a long time
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyrver View Post
MJ Morning Show Main Feed - MJ Morning Show

This dumb dumb should not be able to ever own a cell phone or drive a car again for a long time
... agreed.... a VERY long time... like when that very hot place freezes over! Just terrible how some idiot can ruin the lives of others in a split second.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I hope the guy doing the filming stopped and stayed long enough for the police to get there so he can give his statement and to talk to the people that was hit.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #4

I just have to ask' whoever was driveing took these pictures?

Isn't that just as bad as texting while driveing?

perhaps they were just lucky.

looks like the pitchers were taken over the stearing wheel.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #5

On May 15th a 19 yr old girl took out my brother on his motorcycle while she was texting. Ran right over him. He died 3 hours later in the EM. of a massive heart attack and his wounds. He got a casket, she got an $88 reckless driving ticket. something needs to change.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
In either case you can't fix stupid.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This has been an issue with drunken drivers for years, Experts now are telling us TEXTING can be even more dangerous than driving drunk.

In the past killing someone while drunk driving you got, as noted a slap on the wrist, perhaps six months jail time a suspension of your license for a bit, some fines to pay.

I will tell you a true story:

Michigan state police are getting dozens of 9-1-1 Cell calls about a drunk weaving down I-75 in Independence Towship (Between Detroit and Flint) finally we (yes we, I worked for them and answered many of those calls) hear he's run off in the ditch.. It is PAST my quitting time, I turned the phone over to my relief and went home.

Woke up the next noon and (I worked afternoon shift) and find out about the fatal accident.. Here is what happened. Mr, Drunk Driver got his pick up out of the ditch, went the wrong way up the freeway and ended up head to head with a JEEP going the right way.. The young lady, scheduled to mary the driver in a few days, never made it to the wedding, she received a funeral instead, she was a civilian police employee, same as me, different department.. The young man, (A police officer) was unable to attend the funeral of his bride not to be as he was still in Intensive Care.

The drunk was arrested and taken to Oakland County Jail.

The prosecuitor charged him with Homicide, 2nd degree, and won a conviciton. I believe he is STILL in prison

At his trial he said, in his own defense... I didn't mean to kill nobody, I was drunk, I'm not responsible.

Yes he was drunk, and not the first time either, IN fact if I recall correctly it was his 7th or 8th drunk driving conviction.. he'd been suspended, revoked, denied and was on probation from his earlier OUIL convictions.. Conditions of probation included NO operation of a motor vehicle, NO consumption of Alcohol and NO being in a place where liquior is served. Each of those acts (Driving, To a bar, Drinking) was a FELONY.

Yet his defense was "I dinna mean to kill nobody, I was drunk)

The jury,, seemed deaf to his defense. AS THEY SHOULD BE. in cases like this.

Alas, It did not start a trend,, Should have, but did not.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:26 AM   #8

Unfortunately there is no shortage of Idiots on the road and stupidity seems to be more common today. I feel for the poor people that had the misfortune of being on the road at the same time as this idiot.
Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It can be worse. We were driving through Waco, TX in our RV, heading for home. I moved from the outer lane to the middle lane to allow 8 cars to enter the freeway. As the last of the eight cars passed use, it almost side swiped us. All three lanes were full of cars and there was no place for me to go.

As the car got near the front of our RV, I could see that the young woman driving it had a cigarette between the fingers of her left hand and had her cell phone between her hands and was driving with her elbows and texting while doing 60+ MPH. I gave her a short toot on the air horn on her next incursion into my lane. That set her off on a road rage rampage where she gave me the one finger salute multiple times and cut in front of us, slamming on her brakes. Attempts to move back to the right lane were blocked by her as she switched lanes with us. A large RV is no match for the maneuverability of small car. Mercifully, she took an exit ramp about 5 miles later.

It is unfortunate that law enforcement personnel are not permitted to charge people like this with reckless driving. We don't need special laws for texting. As the OP's video shows, there is an excellent record of the reckless driving. The cause is unimportant. When someone drives like that, they should be cited. It would have been very easy for the car in the video to have had a head on collision with cars in the other lane that it narrowly missed.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:29 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
What's worse is people who don't even need distractions like phones to be bad drivers. Almost got side-swiped today by a lady wanting to merge into my lane in town (without even looking over!!). While trying to avoid that accident, the person in front of me decided to make a last second right turn, and I almost rear ended them because of the person on my left, who wasn't doing anything distracting.

They hand out driver's licenses like they were candy, and are way too lenient on some offenses.
SyrenSkywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:58 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Washington Bridge in New York, while heading over the upper level in my RV, looking out the windows in bumper to bumper traffic, there was a gal steering her car with her legs and texting.
Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was unable to follow the link..

But to the question of the driver doing the filming.

It may have been someone other than the driver that held the camera

Or. it may be like one police officer I chatted with one day following a chase.

He saw the idiots breaking into a couple of JEEPS, reached down and picked up the camera and set it on it's mount and pushed record.. (This while waiting for the embarassed light to become jealous once again) then he filmed the theivs driving out of the attended lot, the attendant waving to them and then he radioed his dispatcher who called me as the chase hit the freeway.. A few miles later the two jeeps missed the curve, went airborn, landed in a DEEP gully (I mean we had to spot them from a copter) and the theives.. Well they must not have been too badly injured cause they RAN LIKE where texting drivers belong (per one of the earlier posts, "That hot spot which may some day freeze over).

Did not do any good though.. When the facts were explained to their friend the spotter, ER, Parking lot attendant his name turned into Carany (As in Sang LIke)
Old 06-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
A lot of phones you can video easily while driving. I can start the camera on mine without even looking away from the road. You then can keep both hands on the wheel while holding the phone in one hand pointed forward, catching everything that goes on.
SyrenSkywolf is offline   Reply With Quote