Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2015, 12:57 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dump station tales

We all have em - odd things seen at the dump station. Last week we were camping in Northern ID and saw another "don't do this" example as we were pulling out.

There was a LOOOOOONG line and we were behind an older Winnebago trailer. When it was their turn the old guy in the drivers seat (complete with walker) got out and took off the valve cap but didn't seem to have a hose or any intention of getting one.

My DH was watching this and (his turn to dump - we swap) starts moaning... "oh no.. really? No hose? I have to stand there NEXT"...

After old guy takes off the cap he pulls the handle. Nothing happens so he gets down on one knee and LOOKS in the valve. I would not put my face there for love or money...

Next he goes into his trailer (slowly... remember the walker) and comes back (slooooowly) with a broom. He inserts the broom handle in the sewer pipe and works it in and out. Then removes it and the sludge begins to blurp out onto the pavement. Splat, splat, splat... Thick sludge (think gutter goo) begins to flow. My DH is cussing with the truck windows rolled up.. not sure who he thought would be listening.

When the old guy is almost done my DH gets serious about a plan to save his shoes. He gets a box of nitrile gloves out and stretches them over his shoes. One for each toe and one for each heel. He has black glovey fingers jiggling from both ends of his feet.

Old guy is almost done now and takes the broom (no rinse) and puts it back inside his trailer and pulls away.

We pull up to the scene of the gooey crime and my DH gets out and begins to hose off the mess. As we are dumping (with a hose) another rig pulls up behind and the guy gets out and walks over, points at the floppy black fingers and makes a crack about being OCD clean.

No one died.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2015, 01:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
We all have em - odd things seen at the dump station. Last week we were camping in Northern ID and saw another "don't do this" example as we were pulling out.

There was a LOOOOOONG line and we were behind an older Winnebago trailer. When it was their turn the old guy in the drivers seat (complete with walker) got out and took off the valve cap but didn't seem to have a hose or any intention of getting one.

My DH was watching this and (his turn to dump - we swap) starts moaning... "oh no.. really? No hose? I have to stand there NEXT"...

After old guy takes off the cap he pulls the handle. Nothing happens so he gets down on one knee and LOOKS in the valve. I would not put my face there for love or money...

Next he goes into his trailer (slowly... remember the walker) and comes back (slooooowly) with a broom. He inserts the broom handle in the sewer pipe and works it in and out. Then removes it and the sludge begins to blurp out onto the pavement. Splat, splat, splat... Thick sludge (think gutter goo) begins to flow. My DH is cussing with the truck windows rolled up.. not sure who he thought would be listening.

When the old guy is almost done my DH gets serious about a plan to save his shoes. He gets a box of nitrile gloves out and stretches them over his shoes. One for each toe and one for each heel. He has black glovey fingers jiggling from both ends of his feet.

Old guy is almost done now and takes the broom (no rinse) and puts it back inside his trailer and pulls away.

We pull up to the scene of the gooey crime and my DH gets out and begins to hose off the mess. As we are dumping (with a hose) another rig pulls up behind and the guy gets out and walks over, points at the floppy black fingers and makes a crack about being OCD clean.

No one died.
I think I would have waited and went to another dump station somewhere.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #3

Thanks Janet H for posting that. Although it was a bad experience for your Hubby, please forgive me, because admittedly, I had to laugh about the "foot gloves" and more so your final comment!

The actions of some folks just never cease to amaze! Don't have any dump station tales.... but I am quite experienced about stirring and burning excrement with diesel. Something I learned in the army many, many moons ago in SE Asia.
ThinBlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinBlueLine View Post
Thanks Janet H for posting that. Although it was a bad experience for your Hubby, please forgive me, because admittedly, I had to laugh about the "foot gloves" and more so your final comment!

The actions of some folks just never cease to amaze! Don't have any dump station tales.... but I am quite experienced about stirring and burning excrement with diesel. Something I learned in the army many, many moons ago in SE Asia.

Dump Station shenanigans are highly interesting and it's worth paying attention. Free entertainment.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/fun-a...ion-53258.html

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Old 09-29-2015, 06:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Dump Station shenanigans are highly interesting and it's worth paying attention. Free entertainment.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/fun-a...ion-53258.html

GREAT READ! Thank you!!
ThinBlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:54 PM   #6

Dump station tales

First time I showed DW how to dump the dump station was either full or clogged up. Pulled the black handle, and quickly saw it was coming back out. Closed the black. Told DW she can go back in while I take care if it. Did a quick grey rinse, then cleaned up the area the best I could. On the way out I told the attendant it was clogged, and a sign would be helpful. Have not showed DW how to do it since.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #7

On our way home we used a dump station on I35 in southern Iowa. I pulled up and took a look. It had S*** 4" deep all around the inlet and over part of the concrete. I have no idea what the creep who dumped this did but they sure did not clean up. So being a good guy I got out a hose and spent 5 minutes rinsing the area so I could dump and head on home. I wish we could catch those kind low rent individuals so I could tell them what I think of them and thier family.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:55 PM   #8

In a small coastal town I approached the dump curb provided by the city. One little opening next to curb to place the sewer hose. If you use your hose,make sure the hose is into the curb hole and held in place or the contents will spill into street for the cars to run over. The guy ahead of me had no hose, no idea what to do, so he got a little stick to hold the dump site lid open,and without a hose dumped his contents immediately into the street. It didn't seem to go into the hole as he thought it would. It was a stinking mess, I backed up away from the mess, made a wide path around the mess and moved on to another dump. The guy acted like he empties his rig without any hose at anytime. I sure didn't want to shake his hand if I ever made contact with him.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:31 PM   #9

It was our first camp hosting job at a local state park. We had been RVers all of six weeks. We would get RV's in on Sunday afternoons that would want to use the dump our site was directly across from the dump station.
On this particular Sunday a large MH pulled in and made the U Turn to access the the dump. An older woman got out and was directing her mate to line up the dump bay with the dump. Back and forth, and back and forth numerous times till finally the old gent stopped and came around to view the location. He apparently decided they were close enough and opened the bay and pulled out his slinky. Not quite long enough, it barely made it to the drain hole. Instead of repositioning the MH he pulled out a length of rope and tied it to the sewer hose, gave the loose end to the woman and proceeded to pull the dump valve! When that effluent rush started that sewer hose had a mind of its own and the rope was not enough to restrain it. Let's just say s--t was flying the old gal dropped that rope and back peddled, probably the fastest she moved in years.
I shouted WTH are you doing? They old gent yelled back he'd been RVing for 40 years and knew what he was doing. He cleaned it as best he could but it still stunk for a week. but the grass did green up.
'17' F350 6.7 CC King Ranch DRW 4x4 4:10s B&W 20 K Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:55 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickdog View Post
.... but the grass did green up.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Old 10-02-2015, 07:30 AM   #11

As they say "You can't cure stupid". Remember when many interstate highway rest areas had RV dump stations?. In the last several years, every one I see has been closed - probably due to some of the antics mentioned here.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:56 AM   #12

Waiting in line for the dump guy in front of us gets out and his wife gets behind the wheel. he instructs her to pull up. She does. He tells her to back up a bit and she refuses. So he gets out his hose and connects it and it BARELY reaches the inlet, but won't go down into the inlet hole.

So he calls his wife around. He puts his SANDALED FOOT on top of the inlet cover, holding the hose under it, but not down in it, so there was room all around the hose under the cover.

I'm watching this thinking no no no don't do it!

Wife pulls the blade. Sh!t goes everywhere. All over his foot, the cement, everywhere.

My husband and I just about died.

Poor dude doesn't look up. Just gets the hose, rinses off his foot with the dump station hose and leaves.

I literally gagged.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:44 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
I go to swap meet twice a year that runs from wed to sun, if I stay over to mon I can use to site dump station, no charge. they have on site honey wagons that service the porta pots. the dump station is a cement pad with a slot 12x 18x48 with a hole in one end. Nothing fancy but it works if you use it properly. This time I came up to it I was third in line so I went to have a look, I was stunned this guy was using the honey wagon hose which was 6 inch dia and fairly ridgid with aluminum ear clamps on it. No way it would be even close to fitting. He was hold it with his hands up to his sewer outlet. Needless to say there was sh-t going everywhere, his hands, the pad, on his shoes, just an awful mess. He had the nerve to complain about the set up. I told him if he didnt like it he could go down the road a pay 20 bucks. While I waited for the next guy I hosed down the pad, so it would be clean for the rest of us. I hope I never see anything like this again, just the stupidity gets me.
jsides is offline   Reply With Quote