Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
We used to haul horses to shows with truck and trailer and DW would never drive, just wasn't comfortable. But with the MH, we spent a Sunday afternoon in a big empty parking lot so she could practice turns and backing etc., now she drives at least half of the time. She actually enjoys driving the MH.
rhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm the DW also and have done & will continue to do 99.9% of the driving. DH has driven approx. 150 miles between our old 35' DP & current 40' DP. He has never driven it with the toad nor parked it at a campsite.
He is however THE BEST setter-upper/tearer-downer there is
I like to drive & he likes to watch/nap. Works great for us

Marilyn
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #17
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up DW

Thats a good question. We RV since 64. OK, it was a VW pulling a TT (Rental) all the way from El Paso to Teton and back.
Since 76 we drive MH's and we just switched drivers on the go at that time
Of course not anymore. The last one she drove a yard in a campground.
I'm used to the left seat all my life and now since she is retired she is my personal FA
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #18

When she wants to. It's nice to be able to take a break now and then. We have our own way to get into a parking space and backing up, it works for us. Sometimes we argue about the way to do something, we just get to the same place a different way. Yes, we took the driving class at Lazy Days (twice, just to get all the goody out of it) and use the dots. Safe travels.
jeanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #19

Unfortunately, DW is "altitude challenged". So far she hasn't even tried to drive it. The single-pivot steering column, combined with the seat's range of adjustment just doesn't work for her.

I resist doing mods, but I'm seriously thinking of replacing the steering column with one from a Gillig transit coach. I drove for our local transit agency for a couple of years, almost all of it on Gilligs of various lengths.

Their column is double jointed, one near the floor and a second one about 24" down from the steering wheel. The upper section is also telescopic. With this configuration, you can get the lower column to a good angle, then adjust the steering wheel height and rake to suit.

I thnk this kind of set-up would make it feasible for DW to drive. I learned to handle a 40-foot transit coach in rush-hour city traffic in about a week, so I think a 32-footer in recreational traffic would be OK for her.

All I have to do now is find a bus wrecking yard where I can buy a Gillig steering column!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My wife does not want to drive our coach but she loves watching the scenery as we drive along. She also enjoys following along on a map. When we are camped she handles everything inside and I handle the outside stuff. The important thing is that we both love to travel and see the sights. What a great life !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #21

DW is a city girl, limited highway experience and had never pulled a trailer in over 40 years of driving. To her everlasting credit she asked for some left seat time the first time out with our fiver and did a good job. I am comfortable and enjoy the chance to gawk but occasionally need to remind her to lighten the right foot. She won't pull it into the cg or back up but that is fine. As was suggested, I am glad to have back up in case I get sick or hurt.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I will drive anything with wheels anywhere. Drove a 12 foot cargo van to midtown Manhattan one late November during morning rush hour.

True story: We had purchased a used Class A Dolphin 32' and taken a couple of short trips. We had not had a vacation in literally years. The trip was planned on a tight budget. We were taking one Gkid that was living with us and picking up another on our way to Nags Head. A week or so before our departure my DH had a mild heart attack. The doc. said no to our planned vacation...DH told doc he would have another attack if we didn't get to take this vacation. Doc says OK, but she has to drive. OK off we go heading to Richmond to spend our first night with family. Next morning, we're up and ready to go and it is pouring down buckets. I drive without any problems for quite a few miles and his darn brakes just weren't working. Kept nagging at me about being too close to the right edge of the road. We're on a two lane road and he said to me "you almost hit that mailbox" my response "well I missed it didn't I?" At this point I decided he'd have another heartattack if I didn't let him drive.

I drove our popup from Virginia to California with two girls and myself.

When taking the church youth group to Richmond from rural SW Virginia for a conference, the pastor and the youth director were uncomfortable driving in a "city" so they appointed me to be the designated driver as I was from there.

So throw me in that briar patch whenever I don't think he is going to have a heartattack because he is not behind the wheel.

Thanks for the question because it is one I was thinking of asking.

Come on gals - show'em what we're made of.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:08 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DW never drove so much as one foot while towing our old 5th wheel. She has no problem driving pickups or large SUVs but no interest in towing. Now that we have a class A I have suggested she try driving it. It is both of our preference that I do most of the driving but it would be nice if she could drive if I am tired or something happens to me.

By the way, in the 12 years we have been together I have probably logged less than five hours of right seat time (in all types of vehicles combined) awake with her driving. If you ask if she is a good driver I have to say I assume so but whenever she is driving it is because I'm tired and napping.
cliff841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRosedale View Post
How often does your DW drive the MH or is your like mine, either sleeps in the passenger's seat, or goes back and sleeps on the couch, when not giving me instructions? OK, I know this is a dangerous question, but my DW is doing what she does a lot of, naps.
See bold print above.
Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
My wide does not drive the coach. My first coach was in 1978. She has never driven. She will not drive. If I make her drive I will be paying alimony.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #26
Community Administrator

In 80,000 miles my DW has driven 20 feet. Twice, she pulled foward so I could gas up the toad. This has worked well for us. I'm a lousy passanger and she is a great nagravator. That's a self described title of hers. She agravates while she navagates.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
My wide does not drive the coach. .
Careful Gary. If you don't start using "DW" or proof reading... you may end up paying alimony anyway!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #28

It would be nice not to pull over because of the morning coffee. Last trip she refused to even try so I told her "If you won't drive, I won't tow". Made her drive the toad.Lost her at a stop light in Memphis. Dogs didn't like it so I hooked her back up half way home in Missouri. Still hearing about it.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote