Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2020, 09:16 PM   #127

Monaco Owners Club
Trekker, I'm with you. I like 'em cut as steaks, with green chilis, but steaks are hard to find. Great on a good fresh Saltine. 'Course I'm the guy who has eaten and enjoyed baby squid cooked it its own ink, jellyfish (once, on a Communist Chinese bulk carrier), suck crawfish heads, love good alligator. If you sop up all the liquid in the can with paper towels which you left jammed in the can you won't notice the smell -- unless you're more bloodhound than I am.
Urban Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2020, 04:41 PM   #128

And they're on sale at Costco this week, $3 off.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:01 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin1960 View Post
When I recently had my quad decade checkup, one thing that the blood lab showed was a slightly high LDL . Read that Sardines in olive oil was good source to help bring down so I went and bought me some. I have always liked sardines but not so much that would have on a shopping list . I have had sardines for lunch everyday for about 7 or 8 days , I found some that are skinless and boneless and packed on Olive oil. I like the skinned ones but this is all the local Grocery store had as far as being packed in olive oil . I eat 2 cans for lunch which are 2.9 ounces and 120 calories each , 5 grams of fat but a whopping 19 grams of protein and I swear I seem to have more energy in the afternoon . That is a good ratio of fat vs protein especially considering the fat is suppose to be good or better fat. One thing you gotta get the cans outta the house they taste better they they smell.

Interesting observation about the energy level after eating sardines.

I moved to a carnivore diet about 9 months ago. A healthy diet that dates way back in time. Before agriculture. I eat tri-tip, rib eye, fat trimmings from steak, eggs, salmon, salt and water. Nothing else.

I never have felt so alive. So much energy. It is amazing. My arthritis is gone. Zero health issues. No more roller coaster ride from blood sugar levels. Constant energy that burns for a long time. I can hike 2.5 times as far and as high.

The only hard part is finding that kind of food in bulk. And it gets expensive. I'll need to drive 180 miles this week to get 35 lbs of meat.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:52 PM   #130

I been eating sardines for years. I get the boneless, skinless ones in olive oil from Trader Joe's. I eat em with rice, and it makes a good healthy meal. Various articles describe them as a superfood, and they don't have the level of mercury in them like the bigger fish have. I also get the smoked trout in a can and it's really good. The only problem with them is my cats surround me and I can't eat in peace. My blood pressure is perfect, and I credit the sardines for that.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:23 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. Lion View Post
I eat tri-tip, rib eye, fat trimmings from steak, eggs, salmon, salt and water. Nothing else.

You are well named Mtn. Lion.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #132

I only like to sardines in mustard. I always give the sardines in olive oil to my yellow lab she loves them.
franklin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:51 PM   #133

Monaco Owners Club
Eating Sardines

i typically buy Wild Planet sardines @ costco - luv ‘em.

about 6 months ago i bought some Wild Planet anchovies (in olive oil) and they are excellent, too(!), nothing like i remember anchovies tasting.

yum
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:19 AM   #134

Monaco Owners Club
I put a dab of anchovy paste in my boiled shrimp recipe. Don't taste the anchovy but it perks up all the other flavors.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:06 PM   #135

I've heard of sardine sandwiches (I think my mother may have eaten them), but for some reason, that doesn't sound appetizing. I do like them in a can, packed in olive oil. One can at a time is enough for me. Fortunately, I live by myself, so breath odor isn't a concern.
Edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:27 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikena View Post
I thought this site was about RV’s and related subjects. Not sure your diet choices qualify.
Nope, this forum is "Just Conversation".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:52 AM   #137

Monaco Owners Club
Ten pages of sardine conversation, and now we hear from a sour Dean . . ..
Old 06-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #138

I like sardines, but also have a fondness for pickled herring. I get either the herring in wine or in cream at a local supermarket, made fresh at their fish market. Makes my mouth water.
Edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:09 AM   #139

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward44 View Post
I like sardines, but also have a fondness for pickled herring. I get either the herring in wine or in cream at a local supermarket, made fresh at their fish market. Makes my mouth water.
Hmm. I've overlooked herring. Not sure it's available fresh down here, but I'll keep an eye out.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:01 AM   #140

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward44 View Post

tasty stuff, pickled herring ... my father used to pickle steelhead and salmon ... very tasty.
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote