Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
The interior of the Elio is *VERY* Toyota-esque to me. I am thinking that they are sourcing parts from Toyota.
The bulk of the car in built with parts from various suppliers that are currently in production and used on multiple makes of vehicles in the market. This is one aspect that is helping them keep the cost low.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 05:18 AM   #30

I'm thinking of it as a 3-season daily commuter (I have a ~~15 mile commute to work), right now I drive an SUV, but I don't need to drive that most of the time. I'm going to the office & home and maybe a quick stop at the grocery store. I wouldn't drive it in the winter, I don't think. Certainly not with the winter we've been having this year! I'm also thinking of it as a tow vehicle, for the little jaunts we want to do out of the campground. Those aren't going to be very far for the most part. We'll see where it ends up.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:43 AM   #31

It would be a great tow vehicle. Especially if it can be flat towed 3 down.

I have a 70 mile round trip commute every day for work. I currently drive a Mazda Miata which averages about 27 MPG and my gas savings will literally pay for the car. I imagine if you are going from an SUV to this you could do the same. It would almost be a bad idea not to purchase one.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobeth66 View Post
I'm thinking of it as a 3-season daily commuter (I have a ~~15 mile commute to work), right now I drive an SUV, but I don't need to drive that most of the time. I'm going to the office & home and maybe a quick stop at the grocery store. I wouldn't drive it in the winter, I don't think. Certainly not with the winter we've been having this year! I'm also thinking of it as a tow vehicle, for the little jaunts we want to do out of the campground. Those aren't going to be very far for the most part. We'll see where it ends up.
It's a single seater so you'd have a problem if more than one wants to go.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
It's actually a 2 seater ... the passenger sits behind the driver
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #34

Quote:
That's incorrect. It actually seats two in tandem configuration. Driver in front and passenger in te rear.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We (iRV2 folks) were talking about the Elio last August.
See:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f21/eliom...er-172022.html

Is there a market for it (covered trike)? I think so.
I hope they can get it on the road to buyers soon.

They are supposed to be planning assembly in a closed GM plant near Shreveport LA - starting in mid 2014 - selling as 2015 models.
See:
Elio Motors plans to move into former Shreveport GM plant - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

I wish them the best!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a daughter in Phoenix and just requested her to go to their office and find out if it will be towable and to kind of get an impression of the place.

Has anybody gone to their office in Phoenix?
Old 02-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
It looks intriguing. I have a 27 mile commute. Most of the time I drive my Impala, 27 mpg., or 2 gal/day. I plan to retire in 3 or 4 years, so I'm not sure it would be worth it. However, it would be good for running around town after I retire.
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
It looks intriguing. I have a 27 mile commute. Most of the time I drive my Impala, 27 mpg., or 2 gal/day. I plan to retire in 3 or 4 years, so I'm not sure it would be worth it. However, it would be good for running around town after I retire.
In three years the gas savings will have paid for the car. That means essentially you will spent the same amount every month and in three years you will own an additional car. Everything after that is money in your pocket.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
In three years the gas savings will have paid for the car. That means essentially you will spent the same amount every month and in three years you will own an additional car. Everything after that is money in your pocket.
Don't get too excited. Website says city mpg is only high 30's. Highway is 89.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Don't get too excited. Website says city mpg is only high 30's. Highway is 89.
What website? Where on their website? I'll paste what I've found on the Elio Motors website about two minute ago.

"This is a very green vehicle – and we’re not just talking about the color. Yes, it gets 84 MPG on the highway, but you’ll be doing your share of city driving, too. Fear not, with its city rate of 49 MPG, you’ll be consuming only 1/3 of what the average American vehicle consumes."
Old 02-14-2014, 08:34 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
And they have a good way to finance it:
Payment Options: This is the Coupe de Gras. Along with the traditional methods of paying for vehicles, we wanted to add something else unique; a credit card payment plan. It will allow you to drive off with your new Elio with no money down. You simply sign an agreement to use the Elio credit card for all of your gas purchases. We, in turn, charge your credit card three times the amount of the fuel (most likely less than what you were paying for fuel on your existing vehicle). The simplicity is the difference. Two-thirds of the bill is your car payment the remaining third of the bill is the original fuel cost.
Let’s give an example: You put $50 worth of fuel in your new Elio. Your credit card will be billed for three times the amount, or $150 due in full. The breakdown is simple; two-thirds ($100) is the Elio payment, one-third ($50) is the fuel. Details on minimums and the like are being worked out with several banking institutions, but the reality is simple. Drive off with a new Elio for no money down and pay for it with the massive fuel savings you have over your existing vehicle!
Old 02-14-2014, 08:41 PM   #42

Quote:
And they have a good way to finance it: Payment Options: This is the Coupe de Gras. Along with the traditional methods of paying for vehicles, we wanted to add something else unique; a credit card payment plan. It will allow you to drive off with your new Elio with no money down. You simply sign an agreement to use the Elio credit card for all of your gas purchases. We, in turn, charge your credit card three times the amount of the fuel (most likely less than what you were paying for fuel on your existing vehicle). The simplicity is the difference. Two-thirds of the bill is your car payment the remaining third of the bill is the original fuel cost. Let’s give an example: You put $50 worth of fuel in your new Elio. Your credit card will be billed for three times the amount, or $150 due in full. The breakdown is simple; two-thirds ($100) is the Elio payment, one-third ($50) is the fuel. Details on minimums and the like are being worked out with several banking institutions, but the reality is simple. Drive off with a new Elio for no money down and pay for it with the massive fuel savings you have over your existing vehicle!
This company is going to revolutionize the automotive market place! This is a great example of capitalism at it's finest.