Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2020, 02:45 AM   #71

Carolina Campers
Just a note... a commercial electric passenger bus used in some cities costs about $750,000 vs. the same bus in diesel which is less than $450,000. My guess is a similar premium will exist for RV’s. Sort of puts it out of my range.
Past RV's: Three Airstreams, 2010 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2020, 03:25 PM   #72

I don't see how it would work for boondocking. You drive as far as your batteries will let you, then what do you do run your generator at night to charge your batteries. Oh thats right you won't have a generator because you will not have fuel to run it. Propane is a fossil fuel. Guess our boondocking days will be over.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:36 PM   #73
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Thread Warning

Several posts have had to be removed due to politics which is a violation of the Community Rules. Please keep posts on topic and free of politics.

Thank you to those posting within the rules.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:37 PM   #74

Until charging at campsites is available in a large scale, I don't think the current RV has anything to be worried about.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:39 PM   #75

Won't happen my lifetime and I'm 58....
Old 11-12-2020, 03:43 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
Nope. Why should it? With the advent of better batteries on the horizon ....

Look at what we have now. Semis, busses, delivery trucks all on batteries. Even farm tractors. The industry will adapt. Just think of a 45 ft class A with no Diesel engine, no fuel tank, no DEF tank, no radiator, no transmission, no intercooler etc etc. Much less maintenance. More torque, all wheel drive etc. No pollution gear, no exhaust system, no diffy. The list goes on.
Look at the new Hummer that is schedualed for release next year.

Consider a class C with more power, much quieter and similar advantages to the class A.

I think we are on the verge of tremendous changes in many segments of our lives. The RV industry being only one.
Totally agree.

Imagine traveling in an RV that is SO quiet all you hear is wind and tire noise.

Say goodbye to EGR, DPF, DEF, transmission issues etc...and the torque !!! Mountain ? What mountain ? Drive for 500 miles take a rest, re charge. Charging in a campsite would be a matter of plugging in you 30/50amp cable.

Tesla has a prototype motor home, albeit too small, that has a range of 500 miles, but, the capacity for larger battery arrays in larger RV's is there.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #77

Forest River Owners Club
[Mod Edit]

REMEMBER, the electricity needed to charge electric vehicles comes from OIL.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:48 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitziebikes View Post
I don't see how it would work for boondocking. You drive as far as your batteries will let you, then what do you do run your generator at night to charge your batteries. Oh thats right you won't have a generator because you will not have fuel to run it. Propane is a fossil fuel. Guess our boondocking days will be over.
I can’t see why an integrator couldn’t include a small 4 or 6 KW gas or diesel 120/240 volt generator. Just a matter of room I suppose.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:50 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furkmyster View Post
Until charging at campsites is available in a large scale, I don't think the current RV has anything to be worried about.
Charging is already available at campgrounds. EV’s generally come with an EVSE (charge cord) that plugs into a standard 50 amp 240 volt 14-50 campground plug. EVers who currently tow RV’s already do this.

In the early days of EV’s they use to use campgrounds to charge up. This has gone by the wayside with the advent of the various charging chains like EVGO or CHARGEPOINT or TESLA SUPERCHARGERS.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:54 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverGrowUp View Post
Sorry I violated the rules.

REMEMBER, the electricity needed to charge electric vehicles comes from OIL.
Curious where you live that electricity comes from oil. Do you live on an island? I have heard of this on some isolated islands.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:58 PM   #81

MPG for RVs

I'm getting 14-17 mpg with my Diesel. Better than some pickup trucks that use gas.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:02 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys View Post
Totally agree.

Imagine traveling in an RV that is SO quiet all you hear is wind and tire noise.

Say goodbye to EGR, DPF, DEF, transmission issues etc...and the torque !!! Mountain ? What mountain ? Drive for 500 miles take a rest, re charge. Charging in a campsite would be a matter of plugging in you 30/50amp cable.

Tesla has a prototype motor home, albeit too small, that has a range of 500 miles, but, the capacity for larger battery arrays in larger RV's is there.
The performance increase and convenience of EV based RV’s will be as attractive as they are with EV’s. However, my guess is a 500 mile range is 6 or 7 years away yet. The Cybertruck will have a 500 mile range but probably half of that pulling a trailer. Then again, that would be plenty for us as we tend to take a long lunch and then walk the dog. An hour lunch wouldn’t be a deterrent for us.

EVRV’s won’t fit every bodies lifestyle but they will for some. There are a lot of Cybertrucks on order and I suspect some will be pulling trailers.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:03 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Winnebago has already built an electric-powered MH. There are electric semi-tractors on the road now. Over one million Teslas are on the roads today, There are more threads about this here on irv2.com.
Your figures are not entirely correct.
There are not long haul tractor trailer rigs operating commercially. Occasionally a manufacture will test (a) rig without present success. There are city transportation districts that have attempted to use electric busses most situations have quietly failed. That includes Disney.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:17 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
…..as long as commercial airplanes use jet-a, there will be a little bit of diesel left over for RVs.....now, when we get all electric 777s--diesel RV owners can start worrying--but that person hasn't been born yet--IMHO
PS--what did owners ever do with their old non-slide rigs when slides came out?
Kept them & enjoyed not having to deal with leaks, bad motors, & other slide problems.