Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2006, 05:56 AM   #1

Does anyone have any ideas whether or not a Engine Code Reader is worth buying to check on my 2004 Chevy W-22 engine. There is one in the paper here for $90. This one on sell says it supports all OBD II Protocols including the controller area network. ( CAN )
protocol. Erases trouble codes and resets check engine light. What could it help me with, i.e, telling me my spark wire(s) are bad, my headers are leaking or etc? S/Toby
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2006, 05:56 AM   #2

Does anyone have any ideas whether or not a Engine Code Reader is worth buying to check on my 2004 Chevy W-22 engine. There is one in the paper here for $90. This one on sell says it supports all OBD II Protocols including the controller area network. ( CAN )
protocol. Erases trouble codes and resets check engine light. What could it help me with, i.e, telling me my spark wire(s) are bad, my headers are leaking or etc? S/Toby
Old 12-25-2006, 06:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Toby,

A OBDII scan tool is one of the most useful tools that you can buy in my opinion. I have a Actron model which I recall cost around $150.00 when I bought it, but now runs $99.00. I often times see models for sale as cheap as $79.00.

I just use the tool yesterday when my Check Engine light lit on our Ford Expedition. Just by plugging the code scanner in the diagnosic port, I was able to see the code which said "Bank 1 Oxygen sensor 2 bad heater circuit"

A couple months ago, the Check engine light illuminated on one of our cars. That code said something to the effect of Evaporative emmision system failure. Basically, the gas cap wasn't tightened.

I hope you can see from those examples, how useful the tool is. Todays engines often diagnose themselves and the failure codes are stored electronically. The OBD scan tools let you read those codes.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:12 PM   #4

Thanks Joe.
Think I'll buy one. Sounds like a useful tool. Althoug now-a-days, I usually can't fix it, but maybe I can learn what ails it. Like one of the contribators on irv2 says, "fix it till its broke" Thats usually me. s/Toby
Old 12-25-2006, 05:17 PM   #5

Toby, My wife gave me a ScanGaugeII for Christmas, just installed it today. In addition to being able to scan trouble codes, it can give you realtime readout on rpm, mph, mpg, cooling system temp, intake air temp, trip distance to empty and many other bits of info. It cost 169.95 here's the site if you want to check it out: http://www.scangauge.com/

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:50 AM   #6

Jim
That sounds great; however, I bought the cen-tech this morning with a gift card my daughter had given me. Now I'll spend the rest of the week trying to learn how to work it. I've just about given up on the DVD-RW recorder trying to hook it up and get it to record. Thats the kind of guy I am. Love toys, but my mind ain't what it should be. Note I didn't say like it use to be. s/Toby
Old 12-26-2006, 12:51 PM   #7

LOL, Hey Toby I can relate to that, welcome to the crowd.

Jim

Old 12-26-2006, 06:55 PM   #8

LVJ58 -- not sure if you were aware of it or not, but the link you put in your message above simple links back to this thread.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:34 PM   #9

Thanks Kazoo Tom, looks like I messed up Again--I'll give it another try.

Yep, think I got it right this time.

Jim