Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2019, 04:32 PM   #1

European trip?

We are looking to put together a European trip. We were thinking maybe a 2 week European cruise then a 10 day tour with Padilla tours. For those who have been to Europe, what do you think? Sorry, no RV for this one but I figured that in a group of travelers like us we could get some great ideas.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2019, 06:43 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Go for it.
We are not "tour" kind of folks but like being on our own. We have been to Europe 8+ times. Four years ago we spent the summer (4 months) traveling around and renting apts in major cities. Our favorite cities are Budapest (been 4 times), Amsterdam (twice), Vienna (twice), Florence and Verona.
Enjoy!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:33 AM   #3
IC2

We have done European vacations though without using a tour service. We aren't 'structured' people in that today we will be on Rome, tomorrow, Naples. We rented cars and joined in with the rest of the people. This is not for everyone but I did worldwide travel for 30 years in my job. With that said most of the better tour groups do a very nice job in showing you all of those places you read about. My SIL and husband went with tour groups for years and had a fantastic time.

Go for it!!! You will not regret the experience.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:54 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I should add that one great tour group to look at is Roadscholar. We did a tour with them to China two years ago (you can only tour china with tour) and they were great. If you want a tour they do tours all over the world and they are small groups (20 or so) and are geared more to education that racing around like a crazy mass.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #5

We've done a couple month-long European vacations. I did all the planning & reservations. I'm a huge fan of staying in AirBnBs on trips like this.

Our first one was London, Paris, Ehrwald (Austria), Florence, Cap d'Adge (France), and back to London. We drove most of this trip.This was our route map. The circled numbers are the number of nights at that location.
techquarium.com/gallery2z/d/58404-2/eurovacation.png

The second one was Venice, Rovinj, Plitvice Lakes, Split, Durbrovik (all in Croatia), Rome, and back to Venice. This one included a 7 night small boat cruise along the Croatian coast. This was the map.
http://techquarium.com/gallery2z/d/6...Map12+2017.jpg

Everything about both trips was great, but Croatia stands out as absolutely fantastic. Such a beautiful country.

This year we mixed it up and went to SE Asia instead. Hong Kong, Bangkok, Siem Reap (Cambodia), a 7 night small boat Mekong River cruise into Vietnam, Hoi An and Hanoi with an overnight cruise in Ha Long Bay.
http://techquarium.com/gallery2z/d/6...a+2019+04b.jpg

As much as I loved the European trips, the SE Asia vacation was the best of all (for me, my wife would disagree). We were truly strangers in a strange land for that one.

And those kinds of trips are now over for us. I'm retiring at the end of the year and we're going to tour in the USA in our new RV.

Whatever you do, enjoy!
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #6

Looks like we are veering towards a 9 to 12 day cruise of Greek islands coupled with a 9 to 12 day tour of Italy. Afterwards we will drive to a small town where the family has history and meet up with some relatives for a few days. Any suggestions along those options?
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:10 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
WE did a two week Greek Isle cruise (stopped at multiple islands for up to 4 days) for our honeymoon many years ago and loved it.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:45 AM   #8

Was stationed in Southern Italy in the 1960s and have been back many times. We generally use trains if possible but if you plan to rent a car in Italy I think you will need an international drivers license unless things have changed. Big city traffic is awful. The main routes are well designed with frequent rest stops, gas is expensive but easy to get. Italians tend to be aggressive drivers but are good drivers. Enjoy your trip.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:53 AM   #9

Last ti e we went was years ago. But I am not a tour fan either. What we did was dly into Zurich, picked up a rental car and drove. Our big mistake was not laying out a basic route first. And looked for points of interest to visit. Im sure we missed a lot, but at the same time we met up with some friends, enjoyed our time, shed some tears at the American cemetary in Normandy, got lots of pictures from the top of the Eiffle tower, and ate a lot of great food. If we were to go again, it would be a self driving tour again spending more time in some places and skipping others.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #10

Viking river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam is like traveling in an RV. Lots to see and do, without packing up everyday.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:45 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
We’re going to Spain (Valencia and Cartagena) and were then heading to the Algarves in Portugal but are now considering an 11 day cruise on a tall ship (Starclipper) from Rome around to Croatia and ending in Venice then to Florence and back. Haven’t booked so still flexible except for Valencia.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
We are looking to put together a European trip. We were thinking maybe a 2 week European cruise then a 10 day tour with Padilla tours. For those who have been to Europe, what do you think? Sorry, no RV for this one but I figured that in a group of travelers like us we could get some great ideas.
I've made visited to Roma twice. A great city in Italy, the ancient architectures are wonderful. In which destination you're planning to stay during your Europe trip?
frankgibbons is offline   Reply With Quote