Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2020, 09:05 PM   #1

Evening News

We stopped watching the evening news about six months ago due to biased reporting. True journalism is pretty much a thing of the past. Two weeks ago, I gave it a try and was amazed how many commercials there were in a 30 minute National news segment. Tonight, I did it again and found in the last 15 minutes of the 5:30 news, only 4 minutes and 15 seconds was actual news with 9 minutes and 45 seconds being commercials. One time there was 45 seconds of news between 2 two minute ads. What a waste of time it was. Maybe next December, I'll check it again to see if it has improved.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2020, 09:11 PM   #2

“the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results”
Albert Einstein

Need I say more!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:15 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
We stopped watching the evening news about six months ago due to biased reporting. True journalism is pretty much a thing of the past. Two weeks ago, I gave it a try and was amazed how many commercials there were in a 30 minute National news segment. Tonight, I did it again and found in the last 15 minutes of the 5:30 news, only 4 minutes and 15 seconds was actual news with 9 minutes and 45 seconds being commercials. One time there was 45 seconds of news between 2 two minute ads. What a waste of time it was. Maybe next December, I'll check it again to see if it has improved.
Don’t count on it. The only time I watch the news is when I’m folding laundry early in the morning waiting the coffee, and only then because my hands are otherwise occupied. It’s still dumb, but I get a short does of local “news” and some entertainment from the KCRA morning traffic reporter. Other than that no network tv finds its way into my life, for the reasons you stated.
Attached Images

R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:16 PM   #4

Ditto!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	evening news.png
Views:	57
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	299812  
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:20 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
Ditto!
TRUTH!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:03 PM   #6

Not sure what this post has to do with an RV forum, but I'll bite. Check back after Nov. 3....with a little luck...and some common sense, things may look a little less biased. JMHO.
mistercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:03 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Dirty Laundry by Don Henley covers it exactly.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:24 PM   #8

Try ditching cable and go to ROKU. You can have continuous news... no commercials.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:32 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Try ditching cable and go to ROKU. You can have continuous news... no commercials.
Yeah buddy - ROKU rocks and for just a $49 one time cost. Add Amazon prime or whatever (DW handles this) and there is seemingly endless worthwhile content. So many Masterpiece series it can keep you occupied for quite some time. Just be careful about binge-watching til 2am and screwing up the next day.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercee View Post
Not sure what this post has to do with an RV forum, but I'll bite. Check back after Nov. 3....with a little luck...and some common sense, things may look a little less biased. JMHO.
Post is in the Community Section under 'Just Conversation'

Kinda like talking around the campfire while RVng
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
So I saw this the other day and it seems to do a very good job of describing the current state of our news......left or right really doesn't matter because it's where we are...............George Orwell would be proud
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Media.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	299861  
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #12

I'm afraid Orwell would just shake his head and say something like: "Did you people NOT read my books? Seriously, spy cameras in your TV's and everything. It's in there."

On topic, there's a meme out there somewhere that says:
"The evening news. Where moderately attractive people repeat what you read on the internet hours ago."
Which I like.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:19 PM   #13

I try to get my news from a variety of sources. The biggest change I’ve seen in the nightly news is that they all tend to go for sensational video these days.

The amount of bias I see varies. If you’d like to see where your favorite channel falls in the bias and accuracy spectrums, Ad Fontes Media puts out an interesting chart where you can see how the various channels compare. They do keep it updated. Interestingly, if you are either a Fox News or CNN fan, they differentiate between TV news and internet news for those channels. Here’s a link:

https://www.adfontesmedia.com/
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:36 AM   #14
IC2

IF and that's a big IF, I watch the news, it's the local only. While they tend to be left biased (especially Spectrum)while FOX leans right. At least local news tend to stick to the facts much better then the national news pundits, all of which seem to have a tendency to ignore real facts and report only what they consider their mission. Years back, most news was just that, news, not opinions or thinly disguised political bias.

My wife watchs mostly Netflix or Amazon prime if the TV is on - and I prefer to read a book though a good baseball game or car race might tempt me.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote