Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2020, 07:39 PM   #1

Ever had one of those times

When you think no ones watching but later you find out they were?
The company I work for had 2 big projects come in on a late Friday evening and needed completed and shipped back out to the customer in 8 work days. This was about 6 weeks ago. Then Monday morning that time frame was push up to 5 days has to ship back Friday. That's going to be tough but it is what it is. 3 guys in the shop including myself (shop foreman/lead mechanic) I'm not a office guy work on the floor all day every day. So to get the job done me (55yo) day 1- 20hr d2-19.5 d3-16.5 d4-17 d5-12 =85hr other 2 way younger guys (27 and 30) neither one put in over 50hrs because they were tired or this or that! Anyway the owner of the company shows up today out of the blue and wants to talk to me. Ask way I had those kind of hours. Told him of the time frame I had and the customer was needing it. I've been doing this same work for 30+ years and I've never missed a time frame yet and don't plan on it in the future. So we talk a while about a few other things and he thank me for all my effort and for getting the job done. Thanks me again hands me a envelope and said a little something for effort and hard work. Open it up 15 one hundred dollar bill!! Yes sometimes they do watch.
Jayco19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2020, 07:50 PM   #2

Good job from both parties.

Nice to be appreciated.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hallelujah !!!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:22 AM   #4

Those moments are so rare in the working world. Good for you. (and the boss)
Old 04-02-2020, 04:32 AM   #5

Wish we saw more of that work ethic. I remember many a late, late night working to hit a deadline...many an early morning to get an early start on a project. I climbed the corporate ladder over the years and retired on my own terms when it ceased to be fun any more.

Love the retired life, but sometimes when I see today's work ethic (or lack thereof) from the 20 and 30 year olds it frightens me as to what our country will become. Hopeful they will rise to meet the challenge.

Great job by you and the owner of the company.
RJShiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:04 AM   #6

JACO19, at your age and generation you still have great work ethics , ethic's that seem to be lost with the younger work force. Often the new generation wants to be bosses, complain that things are too hard and want the big bucks. They don't understand they have to pay their due's like their predecessors did.
MHO

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJShiflet View Post
Wish we saw more of that work ethic. I remember many a late, late night working to hit a deadline...many an early morning to get an early start on a project. I climbed the corporate ladder over the years and retired on my own terms when it ceased to be fun any more.

Love the retired life, but sometimes when I see today's work ethic (or lack thereof) from the 20 and 30 year olds it frightens me as to what our country will become. Hopeful they will rise to meet the challenge.

Great job by you and the owner of the company.
Make them leave their cell phones in their car when they report for work and the 20 and 30 year olds will be more productive.
Lynn
Old 04-03-2020, 10:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco19 View Post
When you think no ones watching but later you find out they were?
The company I work for had 2 big projects come in on a late Friday evening and needed completed and shipped back out to the customer in 8 work days. This was about 6 weeks ago. Then Monday morning that time frame was push up to 5 days has to ship back Friday. That's going to be tough but it is what it is. 3 guys in the shop including myself (shop foreman/lead mechanic) I'm not a office guy work on the floor all day every day. So to get the job done me (55yo) day 1- 20hr d2-19.5 d3-16.5 d4-17 d5-12 =85hr other 2 way younger guys (27 and 30) neither one put in over 50hrs because they were tired or this or that! Anyway the owner of the company shows up today out of the blue and wants to talk to me. Ask way I had those kind of hours. Told him of the time frame I had and the customer was needing it. I've been doing this same work for 30+ years and I've never missed a time frame yet and don't plan on it in the future. So we talk a while about a few other things and he thank me for all my effort and for getting the job done. Thanks me again hands me a envelope and said a little something for effort and hard work. Open it up 15 one hundred dollar bill!! Yes sometimes they do watch.
Knowing my luck, inside that envelope with the bonus would be my layoff check.