RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2020, 07:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCollins View Post
I'm afraid we would look like Mr. & Mrs. Humpty Dumpty trying to get out of our fire escape window. Probably have the same outcome as the fairy tale character.
A great fall indeed
Wandering Mcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2020, 07:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
The only time we've used ours was to remove the old refrigerator and replace with a residential unit.

We do test and lubricate ours every season though after hearing that many folks are not able to open their window in an emergency after long periods of inactivity
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	what he said.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	297780  
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:32 PM   #17

If my MH is on fire, I don't care how scraped-up I get; I'm bailing out the nearest escape window/route! I've been severely burned when I was a child, still carry the scars 71 years later. I've helped remove bodies from burned houses, smoke inhalation kills them nearly every the time while they were either trying to fight the fire or trying to find an escape route.
It cannot be emphasized enough, GET OUT! STAY OUT!
This thread reminded me, I haven't exercised the escape windows in our MH this year; perhaps because we are not using the MH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:43 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our first DP hat the escape window over the toilet. The window was high and narrow with nothing to grab onto. Only way out was head first. OK, survived the fire but with a broken neck I’d be a quad for the rest of my life.

Our 2017 DP has a much better escape window with counter and cabinet to grab onto. I tested it and easy enough to get out. If there is a fire, you have seconds to get out. PRACTICE.
Tom78418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:01 PM   #19
IC2

Our 38 foot 5er has two escape windows. The one in the bedroom which we open regularly for ventilation requires you to climb over a dresser, crawl out to an 8-9 foot fall to the ground, something I just can't see my wife doing. The second one, and probably the most useless, is in the furthest back, LH slide and which requires you to climb over a desk. That 'fall'is only about 6 feet. Both are top openers with the back one's hinge having already broken and then tepaired. That hinge - a great engineering feat in that it was two aluminum pop rivets which failed 2500 miles from home in a little town in Wesr Texas. It still has pop rivet hinges but they are the long ones, replaced in new and straight holes vs the originals that were too short luminum at incorrectt angles. We don't often open that window - i.e 1x a year just to make sure itstill will.

If we have an emergency, the entry door will have to suffice.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:27 PM   #20

Everyone should do a test to see if the window opens and have a plan as to getting out.
My thought is I'd use that window even if someone had to push me out through it and even if I broke something in the drop. It would sure beat running through fire and smoke up front if that's where the fire was.

RV fires happen extremely fast and the smoke will kill you.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:05 PM   #21

How do I privately message you twogypsies? You can send me a message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Everyone should do a test to see if the window opens and have a plan as to getting out.
My thought is I'd use that window even if someone had to push me out through it and even if I broke something in the drop. It would sure beat running through fire and smoke up front if that's where the fire was.

RV fires happen extremely fast and the smoke will kill you.
penskeparty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:22 PM   #22

This is such an important topic and one the RV salesman never discusses with the new buyer. Over the years, Mac McCoy used our bedroom escape window 3 times during his presentations. Mac said, best case scenario, you have 40 seconds after an alarm sounds inside to get out. Smoke and/or fumes get you most of the time before the flames.

If you are able to practice an escape, it is time well spent. If not, it would be wonderful if you would go to the window and open it. Then mentally and verbally rehearse exactly what you would do in those 40 seconds. There are thousands of us that are much better, for knowing Mac the Fireguy. All the best.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:43 PM   #23

I don’t see either one of us going out the escape hatch. So I mounted a 30lb fire extinguisher by the bedroom door. I’ll take my chances fighting my way out.

I also have one mounted in the front drivers side unlocked bay for easy access.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by penskeparty4 View Post
How do I privately message you twogypsies? You can send me a message.
Left click his user name in his post, drop box appears - click "send a private msg to twogypsies".

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:57 PM   #25

Exiting the Emergency Window.

We tried to get out that “Emergency” window once in our last coach 18 years ago. We were a lot younger and definitely more limber back then. The following is my recollections of the mistakes I made.

Mistake #1: It would have made the Funniest Home Videos show for sure if Sharon would have let me submit it! After she agreed to try the escape for a safety lesson, to make it more realistic the first thing I did was to yell “FIRE! all “women and children first ….Hurry …Hurry …Hurry” trying to incite pressure as if it was a real emergency. She hopped up on the bed and opened the window and inserted the stick I had made that holds the window up. Then she flopped on her belly and tried to get her legs out by using her hands to push her backwards. To say that was funny is an understatement! She was on her belly moving backwards toward the window, the air mattress was moving around like waves in the ocean, pillows and blankets getting tangled up in her feet making her off center. She managed to get one leg out, but it was bent at an odd angle. As she tried to get the second leg out, she got hung up. One leg was in and one leg was out and she looked like she was doing the splits. Her pelvis was about halfway out of the window with the side opposite the butt resting directly on the window frame (boy that had to hurt, ya know?). "HELP" she pitifully cried. I yelled “hurry, the fire is getting closer”!

Mistake #2
I was laughing so hard I had a hard time seeing with the tears in my eyes. I ran outside and brought a step ladder to the window but since she was on her belly her leg wasn't pointing downward so she could stand on the ladder. It was sort of straight out of the window, like she was signaling for a left turn or something. "Put your leg down” I yelled. (Its funny, the knee doesn't bend in the correct direction when you are trying to exit a window while on your belly!)

Mistake #3: Obviously a ladder wasn't going to help much so I ran back inside and I started to pull her back in, only by then she was wiggling around so much she had knocked the window strut out causing the window to slammed closed on her butt trapping her on the window sill. She couldn’t go out, and she couldn’t come back in. By now her shouts of "help me" had drastically changed to yells of anger aimed at me! "Whose stupid idea was this anyway?" "Just wait till I get out of here!" "Stop laughing you dumb ass" and many more not appropriate for family entertainment.

Mistake #4
I told her to calm down. Don’t ever tell a hysterical crying woman to calm down! The results are not what you expect! By now her arms were tired and giving out causing her body to slump downward and making her one leg that was outside the window try and go upward, but the emergency window had slammed down making that impossible. Being an engineer, I knew the importance a good foundation was so I started to build one by stuffing pillows and blankets under her, her… well let's say trying to prop up her upper torso so she could rest a bit. In between screaming for help she said something to the effect of "don't get frisky on me now big guy". That is when I knew I had enough pillows stuffed under her upper half. Now that she could rest calmed down.

Mistake #5
I said "Ok let’s try this again". You would have thought she had been in the Navy the way the salty words came out! But I think the translation boiled down to "The He (double toothpicks) with this stupid idea and just get me out of this window YOU Made Me Get In", with emphasis only a woman can put on certain words. Of course, being a stupid male, I screwed up by trying to be technically correct and I said "ME? I made you do it?"

Mistake #6
After I got her out, and things calmed down she became less hysterical and more emotional when she saw I had been crying over concern for her safety. Being married for more than 4 decades taught me to never correct her and let slip that they were not tears of concern, but tears of laughing so hard at her trying to get her fat... um correction, I better say slightly larger than a teenager's butt out the window!

We left that experiment with the understanding that if we had to exit the motorhome in a hurry by using that darn small and too high window, that I was going out first, and fast as she would be pushing me. Then I was going to stand up, turn around and catch her as she slid out on her belly head first...and “watch where you put your hands this time bud”!!!! I don't think there is a snowballs chance in he "double toothpicks" that at our present age we will try that episode again. We have almost made it to the 5-decade mark of marriage and I sure don't want to screw up making it to the Golden Jubilee milestone by any silly suggestions about an emergency window ever again!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Exiting the Emergency Window.

We tried to get out that “Emergency” window once in our last coach 18 years ago. We were a lot younger and definitely more limber back then. The following is my recollections of the mistakes I made.

Mistake #1: It would have made the Funniest Home Videos show for sure if Sharon would have let me submit it! After she agreed to try the escape for a safety lesson, to make it more realistic the first thing I did was to yell “FIRE! all “women and children first ….Hurry …Hurry …Hurry” trying to incite pressure as if it was a real emergency. She hopped up on the bed and opened the window and inserted the stick I had made that holds the window up. Then she flopped on her belly and tried to get her legs out by using her hands to push her backwards. To say that was funny is an understatement! She was on her belly moving backwards toward the window, the air mattress was moving around like waves in the ocean, pillows and blankets getting tangled up in her feet making her off center. She managed to get one leg out, but it was bent at an odd angle. As she tried to get the second leg out, she got hung up. One leg was in and one leg was out and she looked like she was doing the splits. Her pelvis was about halfway out of the window with the side opposite the butt resting directly on the window frame (boy that had to hurt, ya know?). "HELP" she pitifully cried. I yelled “hurry, the fire is getting closer”!

Mistake #2
I was laughing so hard I had a hard time seeing with the tears in my eyes. I ran outside and brought a step ladder to the window but since she was on her belly her leg wasn't pointing downward so she could stand on the ladder. It was sort of straight out of the window, like she was signaling for a left turn or something. "Put your leg down” I yelled. (Its funny, the knee doesn't bend in the correct direction when you are trying to exit a window while on your belly!)

Mistake #3: Obviously a ladder wasn't going to help much so I ran back inside and I started to pull her back in, only by then she was wiggling around so much she had knocked the window strut out causing the window to slammed closed on her butt trapping her on the window sill. She couldn’t go out, and she couldn’t come back in. By now her shouts of "help me" had drastically changed to yells of anger aimed at me! "Whose stupid idea was this anyway?" "Just wait till I get out of here!" "Stop laughing you dumb ass" and many more not appropriate for family entertainment.

Mistake #4
I told her to calm down. Don’t ever tell a hysterical crying woman to calm down! The results are not what you expect! By now her arms were tired and giving out causing her body to slump downward and making her one leg that was outside the window try and go upward, but the emergency window had slammed down making that impossible. Being an engineer, I knew the importance a good foundation was so I started to build one by stuffing pillows and blankets under her, her… well let's say trying to prop up her upper torso so she could rest a bit. In between screaming for help she said something to the effect of "don't get frisky on me now big guy". That is when I knew I had enough pillows stuffed under her upper half. Now that she could rest calmed down.

Mistake #5
I said "Ok let’s try this again". You would have thought she had been in the Navy the way the salty words came out! But I think the translation boiled down to "The He (double toothpicks) with this stupid idea and just get me out of this window YOU Made Me Get In", with emphasis only a woman can put on certain words. Of course, being a stupid male, I screwed up by trying to be technically correct and I said "ME? I made you do it?"

Mistake #6
After I got her out, and things calmed down she became less hysterical and more emotional when she saw I had been crying over concern for her safety. Being married for more than 4 decades taught me to never correct her and let slip that they were not tears of concern, but tears of laughing so hard at her trying to get her fat... um correction, I better say slightly larger than a teenager's butt out the window!

We left that experiment with the understanding that if we had to exit the motorhome in a hurry by using that darn small and too high window, that I was going out first, and fast as she would be pushing me. Then I was going to stand up, turn around and catch her as she slid out on her belly head first...and “watch where you put your hands this time bud”!!!! I don't think there is a snowballs chance in he "double toothpicks" that at our present age we will try that episode again. We have almost made it to the 5-decade mark of marriage and I sure don't want to screw up making it to the Golden Jubilee milestone by any silly suggestions about an emergency window ever again!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
ROFLMA great story that would be me and the wife to "T"
Old 08-24-2020, 10:12 PM   #27
NXR

Ever use your Emergency Exit Window?

I have an 8' 6" telescoping ladder in a bedroom closet with a long strap on it. With the window propped open I dropped the ladder out the window and it opened itself.

I keep a tool on my nightstand, one of those pointed hammers for breaking the tempered glass in a car. (My wife and I are retired firefighter/paramedics and she and I both know how to use the tool.) I actually have one at each seat up front as well because it has a seat belt cutter on it.

That escape window is going to turn into little bits of broken tempered glass before I'd ever think of propping it open in a bail-out situation. Along with the big window in the rear cap that does not open any other way.

I also keep a 4' axe in the same closet. I should be able to open a wall if I'm scared enough. Or an intruder.

Ray

Tags
wind, window