Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2005, 12:04 PM   #1

I have been set up next to I-65 just north of Nashville for 2 weeks now. There has been a steady stream of FEMA trailers headed south on 65 daily.

Nothing fancy, but nice trailers. Just wonder how many of them FEMA bought for the Katrina victims.

If they are handled in typical fashion, FEMA will either sell them as the recovery progresses (so they will have to buy new ones if a disaster strikes next year) or they will store them some where for 10 years till they rot down then give them away.

I think everybody in Indiana with a pick-up and trailer hitch is working pulling them south at the moment.

Alarmguy
04 See Ya Gold (40' MH)
00 Voyager toad (4 down)
90 El Dorado class C (spare)
Alarmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2005, 12:04 PM   #2

I have been set up next to I-65 just north of Nashville for 2 weeks now. There has been a steady stream of FEMA trailers headed south on 65 daily.

Nothing fancy, but nice trailers. Just wonder how many of them FEMA bought for the Katrina victims.

If they are handled in typical fashion, FEMA will either sell them as the recovery progresses (so they will have to buy new ones if a disaster strikes next year) or they will store them some where for 10 years till they rot down then give them away.

I think everybody in Indiana with a pick-up and trailer hitch is working pulling them south at the moment.

Alarmguy
04 See Ya Gold (40' MH)
00 Voyager toad (4 down)
90 El Dorado class C (spare)
Old 11-09-2005, 03:58 PM   #3

I would think production quality is suffering right now also with focus on quantity. I would not want to buy anything made from about September to next September.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:24 PM   #4

The sad part is that people don't want to live in the trailers because they are close together. Instead our tax dollars are paying for Hotels and Motels...
Towns are charging $250.00 for a tent size in the local parks for the guys cleaning up the city.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:57 PM   #5

Well I tell you what, they are nice looking trailers and brand new. If I were homeless I would be very thankfull to get one of them.

OK so they are close together, heck all full timers live close to the guys next door on both sides. I mean it is not as though it is permanant. The trailers are only temporary housing till they get their homes rebuilt or find other housing.

I for one think they shouldn't be given a choice, if a trailer is available, then they either take it or pay for the motel out of their own pocket, plain and simple, there shouldn't be an either or, it is a trailer or your on your own Bubba.

I do feel for those who lost everything, but housing is housing, the government isn't responsible for first class accomidations, or any accomidations for that matter, so in my opinion the trailers are a REAL GOOD deal.

Alarmguy
Old 11-09-2005, 09:34 PM   #6

When the time comes I'd avoid the thought of picking up one of these units when they are through with them. A dealer at the Hershey RV Show explained to me that roughly 50% of what is being manufactured is being sent south, and anything with bunk beds goes first. He then told a story of the Govt. wanting to sell the last bunch of trailers from the previous 4 hurricanes to hit Florida, out of 750+ units they had to pick from, his salesman brought back 2. The rest were junk. Those people trashed them. He estimates that better than 90% will go the the scrap yard. I'll bet some people in India and the surrounding countrys would love a well used RV. It would sure beat a tin shack or tent
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 03:50 AM   #7

Does anyoneknow who is building them?? I assume they are coming out of the Elkhart area where a lot of the big guys have their factorys..

As far as quality being hurt, well,, Monaco, Rexhall and Alfa are all built on the west coast, I don't think they are involved in these trailers, but I could be wrong.. Anyway that would put Monaco, Beaver, See Ya, Rose Air, Rex Air, Aerbus, American Clipper and Vision and anything else built on the left coast in a different light.

I was just outside walking the dogs and saw 6 more FEMA trailers headed south, so there doesn't seem to be any slowing..

Alarmguy (In Nashville, Tennessee)
Old 11-10-2005, 04:16 AM   #8

What's going to happen when another storm rips thru them? Another disaster?
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:35 AM   #9

Ya Gotta A Point There... I mean lets face it, tornados seem to be attracted to trailer parks, and we all know that those critters can happen where these things are being set up, not to mention another huricane. That would be a mess wouldn't it.

On that line do you know the difference in a Texas Tornado and a Tennessee Divorce???, Nothing, somebody is going to lose a trailer in either one...

Alarmguy (In Nashville, Tennessee at the moment)
Old 11-11-2005, 03:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
According to the news the last couple of nights , the trailers are stacking up and they are not getting people into them because FEMA is too slow on getting the paperwork completed. The people are even sueing FEMA to get something done!
Old 11-11-2005, 03:41 PM   #11

I think North America has gone sue nuts on just about everything. All this does is make lawyers richer and drive up the costs of everything for the rest of us.

I wonder if it is possible to sue the people that are sue happy? Hhmm
Old 11-12-2005, 06:07 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> As far as quality being hurt, well,, Monaco, Rexhall and Alfa are all built on the west coast, I don't think they are involved in these trailers, but I could be wrong..
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From the Monaco magazine I got a couple of days ago, their towable line is very involved, they just do not have any Monaco branding.

BillinRedStick
BillinRedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:37 AM   #13

Most of the ones we saw here were Fleetwood with no storage tanks. FEMA has a local area auction where you can bid on the 'old' ones ... most of them were total trash, broken windows, doors, toilets, etc. ... some even had some of the walls destroyed. The people living in them were totally uncaring about taking care of their FREE house .... Sad, very sad.
We still have a couple of fairly large FEMA parks here that won't be going away soon ... A lot of the people in them are buying new boats, cars, etc. with the money they are supposed to be saving for new housing.

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:15 AM   #14

I read somewhere that Gulfstream in Elkhart IN. had a 500 million dollar contract with the fed gov. to build trailers for katrina....
MONTANA RED is offline   Reply With Quote