Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2006, 02:20 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Definately need to consider the size of rigs now days. 5er that are 40' and 45' class A's are not that uncommon. I know with our 36.5' 5er and truck, we are 53' hitched and I need a 60' site unhitched.

As for trees, you can't have too many. I prefer the shade and beauty of trees over the sat TV or internet. To avoid the problem, I prefer to have cable and a CAT-V connection at the trailer. You could also have some barren parking lot areas for the anti-tree crowd.

Offering a few pull throughs with minimal service (electric only with water and sewer dump available, no bath house use for an additional fee) at a reduced rate would be nice for the folks on the run and just want a safe place for a few hours rest.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2006, 02:46 PM   #16
Administrator Emeritus

You could also have some barren parking lot areas for the anti-tree crowd.

Can't we find a "happy medium" Ken?

One of the nicest campgrounds in your State hosts the anuual Datastorm rally every year and I wouldn't call it a barren parking lot!!
Here's a picture of Buckhorn Lake campground in Kerrville....

Please understand that,at least for some of us,dependable connectivity is an important necessity...

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:45 PM   #17

Here are my thoughts on the subject. Concrete pads are nice but since concrete is very expensive, crushed gravel makes a good alternative. The access roads need to be wide and easily traversed. I tow a 34 foot fiver and need some room to maneuver. I like trees as long as they dont scrape my roof. One suggestion could be "bottle trees". I dont know what the proper name is but trhey are nice, no maintenance and dont brush roofs. As the name implies, they grow in a bottle shape. This sounds like a great business and I wish you the best of luck.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:39 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
drainage
we walked the prospective field last night after the torrential RAIN and winds, ever get stuck up to your knees in alabama red mud.

85 $ a yard for concrete, it may be $ up front, but i think it will hold up longer than crushed stone. some of these rigs are HEAVY,

and since we are talking heavy....
would you climb 800 feet of elevation up some winding roads to get a breathaking view out the kitchen window.
its almost as good as lookout mountain, minus the suburban sprawl of grocery stores and noise
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:56 AM   #19
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">would you climb 800 feet of elevation up some winding roads to get a breathaking view out the kitchen window.
its almost as good as lookout mountain </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would, but I'm accustomed to long, steep, and winding roads here in Western North Carolina.

It could be a concern to those accustomed to the flatlands and those with underpowered tow vehicles towing heavy trailers or those with overloaded motor-homes dragging a toad.

If the grade is under 10% most rigs should be OK.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:50 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...and since we are talking heavy....
would you climb 800 feet of elevation up some winding roads to get a breathaking view out the kitchen window.
its almost as good as lookout mountain, minus the suburban sprawl of grocery stores and noise </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We have. Check out Starlight campground in Clay, PA!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:10 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
You could also have some barren parking lot areas for the anti-tree crowd.

Can't we find a "happy medium" Ken?

One of the nicest campgrounds in your State hosts the anuual Datastorm rally every year and I wouldn't call it a barren parking lot!!
Here's a picture of Buckhorn Lake campground in Kerrville....

Please understand that,at least for some of us,dependable connectivity is an important necessity...

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite frankly, Buckhorn, while very nice is a bit short on shade for my taste. This is a spring, fall and winter destination for us. We use a Bulls-eye mounted sat dish so that we can get under the trees and set the dish up in the sun. I guess growning up in south Texas makes me appreciate the shade.

I'd really prefer a campground that had some shaddy areas and some more open for the folks that like the roof top mounted dishes.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:12 PM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
You can buy a heck of alot of 3/4" modified crushed stone in leu of $85 yd. concrete. roll it good and it sets up like concrete, and drains very well. I don't know how much freeze ya'll get down there, but it sure takes it's toll on concrete, especialy if ya park those bahemoth coachs on it, and the crete aint thick enough.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:07 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Should a contracter suggest "Stonedust" please say "no way". We made that mistake and had to live withit fot 10 years.
My 2cents

2003 Carriage CW362 5th Wheel
Tootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:55 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
You can buy a heck of alot of 3/4" modified crushed stone in leu of $85 yd. concrete. roll it good and it sets up like concrete, and drains very well. I don't know how much freeze ya'll get down there, but it sure takes it's toll on concrete, especialy if ya park those bahemoth coachs on it, and the crete aint thick enough. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
thanks
we have af ew hard freezes, but only about 1-2" inches ever stays frozen for long, 1/2 to a whole day, makes the ground crunchy,
the stone looks to be less costly delvering as well, the concrete folks around here dont like mountains,
if it ever dries out around here i can get back to work. 4 days of on and off rain has made everything ugly
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides

Old 05-11-2006, 04:39 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'll make a suggestion for the many RV'rs who are dog lovers (like us) and travel with Fido. How about a nice, fenced dog run? One of our favorite RV parks has one, along with a dog poop bag dispenser. The run is not too large but it really is nice to be able to take the dog to the run, take them off lead and let them exercise.

Also suggest you kick anyone out of your park who does not clean up after their dog...those folks drive me nuts.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:56 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
I'll make a suggestion for the many RV'rs who are dog lovers (like us) and travel with Fido. How about a nice, fenced dog run? One of our favorite RV parks has one, along with a dog poop bag dispenser. The run is not too large but it really is nice to be able to take the dog to the run, take them off lead and let them exercise.

Also suggest you kick anyone out of your park who does not clean up after their dog...those folks drive me nuts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
your reading my mind, my pooch loves to be able to run around and play.
didnt think about a poop bag dispenser, that may be new trick.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:48 AM   #27

A nice level well drained place to park. We prefer the concrete pads to park on, but they need to be as level as possible.

Sewer hookups that are actually LOWER than the parking pad. The system doesn't drain very well up hill.

Lots of room between the sites. We like to sit out under the awning in the evening. It is always nice to be able to view more than the utility side of our neighbors RV.

WiFi is becoming more and more in demand by the RV community. A good system that guarantees a good signal throughout the entire campground. Add a dollar or two to the nightly fee for each site to pay for it. To the campers the fee is transparent and is perceived as free.

A few sites for "overnighters" with only a level space and electric for a small fee. A dump station available for an additional small fee. You want to keep them out of Wally World, give them an alternative.

A clubhouse/office with a nice quiet ADULT lounge along with a game room for the younger set. That goes with quiet hours that are actually enforced by the operators.

Service counts!!!!! Make sure you have a staff that is well educated in customer relations. Staff attitude goes a long way in cementing relations with customers, and encourages the positive word of mouth advertising that can really build your business.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:53 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kazoo Tom:
Sewer hookups that are actually LOWER than the parking pad. . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i dont know if we could swing that, take all the fun out watching folks get creative
and dance with the hose when it pops out.
I especailly like teh parks withthe water spigot for fresh water, at or below the surround surfaces, and very close to the sewer hook up, what were folks thinking ???