Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #15

I was talking to a lady at the Goodyear store(wingfoot) and she was telling me Goodyear owns wingfoot and Pilot.
For was its worth..

Don and Barb

https://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/2/1029VAC_2004_4_139-thumb.jpg
Tcloud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #16

Flying J had many problems, not the least of which was an extremely stingy attitude toward their trucking customers. They created havoc in their customer base twice by discontinuing their acceptance of the most accepted truck fuel cards.

But you're right about Pilot, too. In many of their locations, they were a "tick," sucking customers from nearby major truck stops by underselling them by a penny or two per gallon. Flying J did that when they first started their expansion, gaining customers by low prices but losing them by poor service, small parking lots, and lousy restaurants.

Pilot bought out Mapco, which had some pretty nice truck stops. The first thing they did was close the restaurants in all of them and sell the space to franchisees who put in fast food operations.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:42 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm new to the DP world and stopped at mostly pilots on our trip from MO to FL. Prepaying got old, so what are the "RV" recommended fuel providers.

Robodoc
robodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:21 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2 robodoc
I feel Flying j is one of the best for RV friendly of the fuel stops.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:19 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Read & Learn, Flying J is an RV friendly fuel stop.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Robodoc,
Welcome to iRV2. It's the J for me. After planning my trips, the GPS is loaded with the J fuel stops I will use. As others have posted, for a coach towing a toad, you just can't beat the J (truck islands) for an easy in and out. Only one trip into the store to get my receipt (using the RV Fueler Card to turn on the pump). Their actions have stated they want our business. I will give them mine.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
For GaryKD. I have a J card and use there required Mastercard but I can never get the pumps in the truck lanes to turn on. What are we doing wrong? Do they still require a Mastercard in the truck lanes?
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a Pilot and a Flying J across the interstate here in Russellville,Ar. The boy filling my LP tank the other day said they were both going to stay open and that they, Flying J, has already started raising prices. Both stations stay as busy as they can be...
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Chuck & Mary,
You may be doing nothing wrong. The process I follow is:
1. Insert my J RV Value Card
2. Follow the on screen (usually hard to read) prompts.
3. one of the prompts is to insert the payment CC
4. There are more prompts that I just make up the answer.
5. The pump turns on.
6. Fuel is dispensed.
7. Pull forward to allow the next in line to fuel.
8. Go into the store to get my receipt.

The above mentioned process works in almost all states and Js. It does not work in Indiana. Indiana has commercial fuel tax laws that do not allow private coaches to fuel at the truck pumps without first going into the store to get the pump turned on. There are also some Js that are privately owned (not many). These Js can make their own rules about when their pumps are turned on via the card reader. An example of this is the J in Las Vegas. Only a certain card used by commercial trucking companies will turn on their truck pumps. Everyone else must go into the store.

The bottom line is almost all the Js I have been to follow the above mentioned process to turn on the truck island pump. If the process does not work, I go to the store to get the pump turned on and ask what is the process for doing it myself.

If you can use the RV island there should be no problem. However, with 62 feet of coach and toad, combined with RVers who could care less how much time it takes for them to fuel or how long the line is in back of them, I always use the truck island.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:03 PM   #24

The passing of Flying J is a shame - and as has been suggested, we'll likely see the J descending into Pilot's model, rather than the other way around...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #25

The Flying J Mastercard is no longer a required option. As long as you have your Flying J card you can still use any credit card (maybe not Visa) and you will get the cash price plus the 1 cent RV discount.
Some States such as IN (mentioned above) as well as AZ and OR have different rates for RV's and trucks and this requires that you take your info to the fuel desk to get the pumps started. In AZ the RV pays 8 cents less and in OR the RV pays 24 cents more. In States where trucks and RV's pay the same price you should be able to activate the pump at the pump. Trying to get a 60' vehicle in the RV pumps is no fun but even worse is the 1/2 hour it takes to fill that 150-200 gallon fuel tank with an automotive nozzle!
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
For those thinking the J will become a twin of Pilot, think again. Imagine yourself the CEO of making this decision. When one company purchases another company usually it is not to clone itself. Usually is it because the purchasing company sees the purchase as an expansion of the markets they want to be in, in the future. With the J franchise comes a ready made expansion of Pilot's target markets. There is no cost for Pilot to continue allowing the J to do what it has always done for it's RV customers. The physical plant, processes and business model are already in place.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Gary KD. I think all that will change are the pockets the money goes into. To costly and needless to change name and operations of Flying J.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
I agree with Gary KD. I think all that will change are the pockets the money goes into. To costly and needless to change name and operations of Flying J.
Can we think of, or provide many instances where the new outfit taking over left the original method of operation substantially unchanged after the takeover?

I'll start with one closer to home for me - Mercedes taking over Chrysler - did we end up with "the Mercedes of trucks" - or a company drained of assets and ultimately busted...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote