Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2021, 10:20 PM   #1

Ford's Incredibly Bad Idea!

Yes, I'm a motorcyclist but this idea is not just bad for motorcyclists it bad for everyone on the road. These screens in the cab are killing people whether they are running ads or not.

arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2021, 10:34 PM   #2

STUPID STUPID STUPID

Did I say STUPID.

Bad enough folks aren't paying attention to DRIVING now they will be checking out the billboards/Ads in cab
Hard enough to get folks to turn off/leave dang cell phones alone when driving.

*Funny how TVs in MHs are not powered when driving but heck yeah...display all that nonsense in the car/truck

STUPID............
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
STUPID STUPID STUPID

Did I say STUPID.

Bad enough folks aren't paying attention to DRIVING now they will be checking out the billboards/Ads in cab

*Funny how TVs in MHs are not powered when driving but heck yeah...display all that nonsense in the car/truck

STUPID............
AMEN!!!
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:45 PM   #4

I'm going to hope that this patent is going to be for future self driving vehicles. I've been riding for over 50 years and I've had more close calls in recent years than in all the previous years combined due to people looking down at their phone. Can't tell you the number of times people almost hit me, and passed by never even knowing I was there because they were looking down. I used to say the #1 danger to motorcyclist on the road was their own stupidity and recklessness. Now it's cell phones. But hey, two days ago I saw a guy riding down the road on his motorcycle with one hand on the bars and the other hand helping his phone which he was looking at.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:25 AM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
Agree! The driver assist technology that exists today isn't great at seeing "small" obstructions like pedestrians, bicycles and motorcycles according to ACEM (european AMA) and actual accident data, yet some drivers trust the technology rather than using it as safety net for driver errors. I find myself looking at other drivers head when I can see them to see if they are actually watching the road.

Been riding since 1965 and seems the " safety zone" while riding gets larger every year. Last summer another motorcyclist was rear ended in a left turn lane. Second in line at a red light. When the light for the through traffic turned green, the driver moved with the straight through traffic even though the left turn lane light was still red. Didn't hit the brakes until after hitting the motorcycle. Fortunately, the motorcyclist had left space between the bike and the car ahead so he didn't get sandwiched. We were at the end of a ride and splitting off for home. One of the riders was a local motorcycle LEO. He is always relating the issues with cell phones. etc. and had just discussed the need for an escape even at a traffic light while telling stories over lunch. Turned out to be very timely.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:35 PM   #6

Just what I want Lawyers ads popping up on my drive.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:27 AM   #7

Lawyer and chiropractor adds when the airbags deploy
DRvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
I'm going to hope that this patent is going to be for future self driving vehicles. I've been riding for over 50 years and I've had more close calls in recent years than in all the previous years combined due to people looking down at their phone. Can't tell you the number of times people almost hit me, and passed by never even knowing I was there because they were looking down. I used to say the #1 danger to motorcyclist on the road was their own stupidity and recklessness. Now it's cell phones. But hey, two days ago I saw a guy riding down the road on his motorcycle with one hand on the bars and the other hand helping his phone which he was looking at.
I have to agree. I believe this is most likely a future patent for autonomous vehicles.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
I have to agree. I believe this is most likely a future patent for autonomous vehicles.
We can only hope. I don't know any engineers at Ford anymore or I'd ask.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #10

Sometimes a company will patent an idea to prevent another company from utilizing the idea, and intentionally bury it.

I'm REALLY hoping that Ford is trying to lead the way here, b/c we definitely do NOT need more advertising in our lives.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:23 AM   #11

They can run an ad on my screen for a gallon of fuel ea. I think I saw a movie like that.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:45 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Advertising is way out of control. We don't watch OTA TV or cable, sat tv anymore. We ignore road advertising.
When Prime and Netflix start it we'll drop them too. Almost never does advertising influence our buying.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:30 AM   #13

As I see it a lot comes down to how this is implemented. Personally I don't see the advantage, the billboard is not needed here, GPS and online databases could do the same thing. So I have ask what is this really about.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
STUPID STUPID STUPID

Did I say STUPID.

STUPID............
All 3 TV's in my class c work while driving. They are all 12 volt, but no one watches them. And the in-dash DVD player works as well. I thought that was crazy when I found out.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford