Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2022, 12:09 PM   #1

Frustrations when selling an RV

I have been assisting my daughter and family in selling their 5th Wheel trailer and getting more frustrated with the people I am dealing with.
1) We put 10 photos and price in the ad and people ask questions that are clearly visible in the photos.
2) We listed the price in the ad, people ask for additional information and details then say, "oh, it's outside my budget" or "oh I live too far away".
3) People make an appointment, spend 1-2 hours looking then say, "I do not own a truck" or "can I tow it with my car"?
4) And the best one, spend 2 hours looking, negotiate and settle on the price then say "I will be living in it, but must find a truck to move it and find a place to keep it"
I understand people have questions and usually work with a budget, but come on folks, let's be somewhat prepared before waisting people's time when you know you can not afford an RV or have no means of towing it and or keeping it.
Is simple common sense and courtesy a lost personal trait?
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2022, 12:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
..........Is simple common sense and courtesy a lost personal trait?
Yep. Is it listed in RV Trader? Might ask prospective buyers questions to screen prior to a showing whether they have a tow vehicle (which one?), budget, have a storage facility and ready to buy.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:17 PM   #3

Iíd suggest that you implement a screening process prior to allowing anyone to view the RV.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:25 PM   #4

It's always fun dealing with people when selling things. I had an old truck for sale once, I was only asking $1,200 which was a great deal for a running truck and it sold right away to the first person that had $1,200 which many did not. Some wanted payments and one even asked if I would consider giving it to her for nothing.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
My favorite dumb question from people calling about anything you have listed for sale. They have not even seen the unit except for the photos.

"Will you take less for it?" And the other is they immediately offer an amount that is considerably less than your asking price.

My immediate answer is "No". And offer to show it to them if it is within their budget.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:02 PM   #6

i sold my truck camper last summer and man,the idiots i had to wade through.i did post a really high selling price to weed out a good # of the usual flakes and surprisingly got really close to the # i asked for in the ads.i tried to sell one of my orv's and actually had one guy get all pissy because i wouldn't do his due diligence for him.
hemifoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Yep. Is it listed in RV Trader? Might ask prospective buyers questions to screen prior to a showing whether they have a tow vehicle (which one?), budget, have a storage facility and ready to buy.
They'd just lie anyway.

I would, and have, offer to deliver it for a "small" fee.
Old 05-28-2022, 07:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
My favorite dumb question from people calling about anything you have listed for sale. They have not even seen the unit except for the photos.

"Will you take less for it?" And the other is they immediately offer an amount that is considerably less than your asking price.

My immediate answer is "No". And offer to show it to them if it is within their budget.

Ken
I totally agree. Seems everyone thinks they should be getting a better deal or price vs. whatever you're asking. I hate it when the first thing out of their mouths, is "what's your bottom-line price?" I'll respond with "what's your highest price?"
Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsykora View Post
I hate it when the first thing out of their mouths, is "what's your bottom-line price?" I'll respond with "what's your highest price?"
I tell them "today it's the asking price and with the number of calls I've received I won't be accepting less any time soon but you are welcome to check back in a couple weeks." This puts urgency into the sale if they really want it.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:04 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
we just sold our Diesal pusher 34 fter.99% od replies are messages an texts in the 2 yrs we tryed to sell it. the 1 % that actually phoned came to see it too. 1 couple in his 80s and his young asian wife kept saying,yes buy it,.buy it.but the poor guy was so large he could hardly get it in..
Next couple was traveling ministers,they were hoping i would donate it to there Church of the begging Ministers
third and last were pair of fellows that flew from Ontario to Edmonton.rented a car and drove here 180 Kms. they loved the Itasca, i showed them all my repair receipts and a few things it still needed . they drove it home in 5 days and said no mechanical issues at all.except it wanders ,i did tell then its best to drive at 90-100 KPH .
Old 05-28-2022, 08:09 PM   #11

Some excellent responses and suggestions ...... Thanks everyone.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:58 PM   #12

That sounds like quite a challenging list. I did sell some vehicles and other goodies the last few years. I did have lots of tire kickers and a few "low ballers". The tire kickers never followed though and the "low ballers" I just said check back with me in a couple of weeks if it had not sold.

Pricing can be hard. I have thrown out some "low" offers, usually in my opinion not insultingly low. Just a couple of days ago I did this. A new in box, discontinued item was listed for about 1/2 of new price. It is probably a reasonable deal, but still about 15% higher than I am willing to pay. I would like it, but I do not need it and I am not in a hurry.

I made my offer and they started telling me why it was worth their asking price. I did not argue. I just said what I offered is what it is worth to me. I said I hope they are able to sell it for their asking price, but if not my offer stands.
Nwcid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 01:03 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was selling a car before we went full time and had it listed for a fair price that reflected the low milage, no wreck and really clean. I had one middle eastern fellow that got really pissy with me and demanded that I lower the price before he would come to see it. I finally told him that I would not sell the car to him for a higher price and hung up on him. He tried calling back several times and I let the call go to voice mail and finally blocked his number.

We were selling a very nice Avion 5th wheel (higher end RV) and had it priced slightly below average retail price. We had the normal scam artist which I dismissed, but we had several people call and tell me I need to lower the price. They could buy a newer Prowler trailer for less than I was asking. I told them if they were pricing Chevettes, why were they even looking at Cadillac's? We finally put it on PPL's consignment lot, and they got high retail from a couple looking for an older higher end RV....not a Prowler.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 01:09 PM   #14

No suggestions but do want to welcome you to the world of dealing with the public in general and retail sales in particular. Everything being rainbows �� and unicorns �� is out of stock.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust, sell