Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2016, 10:35 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Fun Camp Grounds

We are in our 60's and enjoy hanging out with other folks, but can't find a RV park where the OLD folks stay up after dark. Currently where we are no one comes out after it gets dark. We have a camp fire to hang out around. Is there somewhere out there we can have fun after dark?
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2016, 10:38 PM   #2

LOL. Your post made me laugh. Just curious, where are you now? I'm sure you will find some pretty lively RV parks out there. If I was there, I would hang out with you!
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see that often, were in our seventies and wonder what the attraction is to stay inside so much. We'll sit outside by the fire and most times it's just us outside, everyone else is inside watching tv. No thanks.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:58 AM   #4

Outside after dark...... How about ever outside (other than just wandering around the CG or walking their dog).

I think one of the most amazing things we observed during our first year RVing, is how few people are ever outside enjoying themselves.

Seems like we are about the only ones that enjoy being outside. Ok, we learned very quickly about the no-seeunms and nasty little black mosquitoes in FL and Hilton Head as soon as the sun starts going down this fall, but still.......

Having thier morning coffee, nope, just me.

Having lunch, nope, seems like just us.

Cooking on thier grill, and eating outside, nope, seldom see anyone but us.

Enjoying the sun, reading a book, watching a ballgame or race on thier outside TV, nope, just us. Or, just having an evening beer or cocktail outside, nope, seems most everyone is hiding inside, or went out to dinner and comes home and locks themselves inside.

Funny thing is, how many people, the wanderers and dog walkers, we meet while we are sitting outside......... and if I am watching a game or race outside, someone usually stops by to chat.

However, many have all the chairs set up, rug, lights, decorations, but actually being outside, nope, seldom see anyone.

Sure, there are a few people, and some do the campfire thing too, but it seems to be very few people enjoy being outside anymore. Actually, we saw the same thing in our S&B. People want a big deck, expensive outdoor furniture, fancy outside fireplace, built in BBQ, but they never seemed to use them.......

I'm sure it is probably different in the state and national park campgrounds where you have a lot of tent campers, smaller pop ups, and TTs, and we were at one CG at the Jersey Shore with mostly those smaller units with families, and there was a lot more activity. Oh, and at Ocean Lakes there was the evening golf cart parade at dusk.......

But at the "RV Resorts", not much outside activity at all other than the wanderers and dog walkers.....

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:46 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure where you are but if possible, check out a state park here in Indiana.

We set up an outdoor kitchen, with a propane stove & grill, electric griddle, and of course our wood fire. So we cook and eat outside........come see us....

I too like to sit out at night by a fire and sip on Old #7 or Old #7 "Fire" in the cooler weather. Now and again - a S'more can be found being made.

Morning coffee - an old occupational mandate was getting up and out early - nothing like a cup of joe next to a fire........nothing like the smell of bacon on an open fire...

Indiana State Parks have a pretty lively bunch - yes - there are the dog walkers (us), bike riders (us), walkers (us), camp site visitors (me).........

When can I expect you at our camp site????????

g
Old 02-26-2016, 06:10 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Around dusk I pull out the banjo or guitar and sit by the campfire. Does not take long before other start to gather
Old 02-26-2016, 07:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
Around dusk I pull out the banjo or guitar and sit by the campfire. Does not take long before other start to gather
That's a great idea! I play guitar, but I never thought to bring one with me on the RV. That would be so much fun to meet another guitarist and jam around the campfire!
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:06 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider93 View Post
That's a great idea! I play guitar, but I never thought to bring one with me on the RV. That would be so much fun to meet another guitarist and jam around the campfire!
The best are the children, I play a lot of folk songs that the children can sing along with. (old standards) They are the first to show up then the parents come looking for them. I'm not that good but have a lot of fun.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:11 AM   #9

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I bring my ukulele and play outside all the time. It is a nice portable instrument that can be softly played. I prefer to play classical, but I know that is not everyone's cup of tea. So, I play a little classical, but mostly the country, folk, and rock from the 40's to 70's that I grew up with. I also do the grandkid songs like Lifemember, Then there is something for everybody, it seems. And, I really don't think I my playing is the reason everyone is huddled in their RV's. Some have even asked me to play again the next night so they can listen.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:00 PM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
I hit the sack when it gets dark and I gotta tell you, I'm really worried about daylight savings time.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Outside after dark...... How about ever outside (other than just wandering around the CG or walking their dog).

I think one of the most amazing things we observed during our first year RVing, is how few people are ever outside enjoying themselves.

Seems like we are about the only ones that enjoy being outside. Ok, we learned very quickly about the no-seeunms and nasty little black mosquitoes in FL and Hilton Head as soon as the sun starts going down this fall, but still.......

Having thier morning coffee, nope, just me.

Having lunch, nope, seems like just us.

Cooking on thier grill, and eating outside, nope, seldom see anyone but us.

Enjoying the sun, reading a book, watching a ballgame or race on thier outside TV, nope, just us. Or, just having an evening beer or cocktail outside, nope, seems most everyone is hiding inside, or went out to dinner and comes home and locks themselves inside.

Funny thing is, how many people, the wanderers and dog walkers, we meet while we are sitting outside......... and if I am watching a game or race outside, someone usually stops by to chat.

However, many have all the chairs set up, rug, lights, decorations, but actually being outside, nope, seldom see anyone.

Sure, there are a few people, and some do the campfire thing too, but it seems to be very few people enjoy being outside anymore. Actually, we saw the same thing in our S&B. People want a big deck, expensive outdoor furniture, fancy outside fireplace, built in BBQ, but they never seemed to use them.......

I'm sure it is probably different in the state and national park campgrounds where you have a lot of tent campers, smaller pop ups, and TTs, and we were at one CG at the Jersey Shore with mostly those smaller units with families, and there was a lot more activity. Oh, and at Ocean Lakes there was the evening golf cart parade at dusk.......

But at the "RV Resorts", not much outside activity at all other than the wanderers and dog walkers.....

Regards
Yep. Everyone seems to insist on an "outside entertainment system" or an "outside kitchen" yet I've never actually seen one being used. I really do get a kick out of the people who must spend a whole day or more decorating the outside of their rig with lights, mats, chairs, pink flamingos, etc. where ever they stay; only to never be seen outside. Maybe it's just a "nesting" thing.

As far as finding the "lively" people, it's been my experience that the more large class A rigs there are in a park the less lively it'll be. The younger people (families) are usually in travel trailers and fifth wheels while the retirees are in the large class A units. The "RV Resorts" are usually full of retirees and the "Campgrounds" are usually full of families and people who generally want to be outside.

Of course this is all my personal experience.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:33 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We go to a lots of COE parks and state parks,they are more fun and the people are more friendly,you see people outside enjoying themselves.
In the RV parks I set outside all the time and I think I'm the only one that does,people will walk by and I try to meet and talk to them,some will,most wont.You will run across some really rude folks in some of the RV parks,
Old 02-26-2016, 11:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonavonP View Post
I hit the sack when it gets dark and I gotta tell you, I'm really worried about daylight savings time.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #14

We are full timers and like many full timers, we stay inside and leave the campgrounds to those who only have the weekend to camp. We can stay longer and then we have the entire week to enjoy the campground after all the weekend campers have gone home. I also admit to being more and more reluctant to douse myself in poison in order to enjoy the outdoors. If the bugs are bad, we generally stay inside. We love campfires too but as a full timers, we cannot afford to have them every night. Wood can be expensive. We love to hike, bike, etc. but you usually will not see us perform those activities because you have left for home.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote