RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-23-2020, 03:58 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 990
Gall bladder info

I recently had an abdominal ultra sound at the local VA. I was told I have “sludge” in the gall bladder and the doc’s nurse said the doc would refer me to a surgeon if I was in pain or discomfort. I have not been able to actually talk to a human being at the VA since that diagnosis was given to me almost a month ago, and although it does not sound serious now since I am not in pain, I still would like more information.

Anyone have a clue what this stuff is and what might be the normal treatment other than removing body parts?
__________________
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco tow bar, SMI braking system. 20 yr USAF ret.
georgelesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 06:24 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Rexhall Owners Group
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 231
I was informed of "sludge" in my gall bladder nearly ten years go when getting a CT for a kidney stone. Unless or until you have gall bladder problems it's not an issue, per my urologist, and often self resolves as it is the result of mucus in the gallbladder mixing with cholesterol and calcium salts.
__________________
Jim & Lin
56safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:34 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
dons2346's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,179
If I was told I had "sludge" and it wasn't explained to me what that meant, I'd either get a second opinion of forget it. I wouldn't rush to go under the knife
__________________
Don
2002 Country Coach Intrigue
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:57 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 13,421
If local VA performed an ultrasound test then you must be under a VA doctors care.
Have you called your local VA doctors office and asked?
Do you have 'myhealthevet' account--- on line VA medical portal?
*request Rx refills, get Medical reports, send secure messages etc
https://www.myhealth.va.gov/mhv-portal-web/user-login#

Gallbladder sludge is a buildup of substances in the gallbladder. It is not a medical condition on its own but can lead to conditions, such as gallstones and pancreatitis. It can also go away on its own. In most cases, a doctor discovers gallbladder sludge during an ultrasound of the gallbladder.

Info about gallbladder sludge
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320057
__________________
Is it time for YOUR Medication or Mine?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:38 PM   #5
Community Administrator
 
NLOVNIT's Avatar


 
Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 32,751
Blog Entries: 1
My sludge was causing me extreme pain on a regular basis for about 6 months before I finally decided to have it removed this past April. I tried all the doctor recommended diet restrictions to no avail. Your sludge may not bother you at all. Everyone is different.

Lori-
__________________
Lori & Dave - FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2018 Phaeton XSH 40 IH & 2014 CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
2006 Bounder 36Z, 2004 Cougar 285EFS 5-r, 2000 Aerolite 25FBR TT
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:02 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Huntsville, AL/Helen, GA
Posts: 1,358
I didin't realize my gall bladder was causing my health to slowly deteriorate. I wasn't aware of the problems the gall bladder was causing until I experienced sudden and overwhelming nausea. Mine was gangrenous and very close to rupturing--which could cause death.

The gall bladder is nothing to fool with. By all means, get a second opinion and do what the surgeons say.

Most of the surgeries are now done by arthroscope which is relatively easy. Wait too long and the surgery might have to be done "the old way." No thanks.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:04 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
If local VA performed an ultrasound test then you must be under a VA doctors care.
Have you called your local VA doctors office and asked?
Do you have 'myhealthevet' account--- on line VA medical portal?
*request Rx refills, get Medical reports, send secure messages etc
https://www.myhealth.va.gov/mhv-portal-web/user-login#

Gallbladder sludge is a buildup of substances in the gallbladder. It is not a medical condition on its own but can lead to conditions, such as gallstones and pancreatitis. It can also go away on its own. In most cases, a doctor discovers gallbladder sludge during an ultrasound of the gallbladder.

Info about gallbladder sludge
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320057
Thanks for the info. Looks like it is not a big deal at the moment. Yes I have a VA dc and have called twice for an explanation and have waited for three weeks to talk to a human. Still waiting. As far as the messsaging system, I gave up on that a few years ago. Here nobody ever answers you. Since we moved from Northern MN where my VA care was very good to East TN, my VA care now stinks. I usually use medicare and go to a local doc which I will do again if this stuff worsens.

Thx again for the info.
__________________
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco tow bar, SMI braking system. 20 yr USAF ret.
georgelesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:51 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
Thanks for the info. Looks like it is not a big deal at the moment. Yes I have a VA dc and have called twice for an explanation and have waited for three weeks to talk to a human. Still waiting. As far as the messsaging system, I gave up on that a few tears ago. Here nobody ever answers you. Since we moved from Northern MN where my VA care was very good to East TN, my VA care now stinks. I usually use medicare and go to a local doc which I will do again if this stuff worsens.

Thx again for the info.
Well old biscuit I now remember why I gave up on the VA my health portal several years ago. I just tried it again and I get to the “view report section with the report I want to see and all I get is my name and birthday! It says page 1 of 5. Buggered if I know how to get the other 4 pages. I pushed everywhere on the screen and just got more frustrated. As usual with the local VA, I give up and will go elsewhere. Sorry for the vent, but this happens every time.
__________________
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco tow bar, SMI braking system. 20 yr USAF ret.
georgelesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:56 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
KennyGolub's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rotating coach to southerly direction
Posts: 1,121
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
After a few nights over a couple months of pain caused by the gall bladder, I just had mine removed on Sept. 11th.


Laprascopic surgery and a piece of cake. I wouldn't do anything until and unless it causes you pain or discomfort. That being said, it is now nice to eat anything I want without worrying about it causing pain in the middle of the night.


.
__________________
Ken & Laurie
North in summer, Home in Silver Springs, FL in the Winter
2019 Entegra Aspire 44W - 2020 RAM 1500 Laramie TOAD
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:30 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
After a few nights over a couple months of pain caused by the gall bladder, I just had mine removed on Sept. 11th.


Laprascopic surgery and a piece of cake. I wouldn't do anything until and unless it causes you pain or discomfort. That being said, it is now nice to eat anything I want without worrying about it causing pain in the middle of the night.


.
Thanks for the report. Because I had a rare form of colitis several years ago I have been eating a very bland diet. The good news now is my recent colonoscopy showed the colitis is gone. The diet has worked so well however, I am staying on it anyway.

I am not about removing body parts unless absolutely necessary. I was offered that option when I had colitis. I refused then and the diet/exercise routine solved it for now anyway. I will watch this gallbladder issue however and if intestinal issues develop I will action it. I have had lower back pain in the mornings sometimes and irregular stools and bowel movements sometimes. I attributed this to colitis but my recent colonoscopy eliminated that possibility. Thanks again.
__________________
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco tow bar, SMI braking system. 20 yr USAF ret.
georgelesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:42 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
KennyGolub's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rotating coach to southerly direction
Posts: 1,121
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
Thanks for the report. Because I had a rare form of colitis several years ago I have been eating a very bland diet. The good news now is my recent colonoscopy showed the colitis is gone. The diet has worked so well however, I am staying on it anyway.

I am not about removing body parts unless absolutely necessary. I was offered that option when I had colitis. I refused then and the diet/exercise routine solved it for now anyway. I will watch this gallbladder issue however and if intestinal issues develop I will action it. I have had lower back pain in the mornings sometimes and irregular stools and bowel movements sometimes. I attributed this to colitis but my recent colonoscopy eliminated that possibility. Thanks again.

Just as a quick follow-up:


Yes, don't do it unless you have to. You'll know when it's time.


I have talked to several folks who did have their gall bladder removed (even some from back in the day when they really opened you up to get it), and none said they were sorry. All said it was a good move for them.
I'm not trying to push you in the direction of having it removed, I just wanted to help put your mind at ease if it becomes needed.


.
__________________
Ken & Laurie
North in summer, Home in Silver Springs, FL in the Winter
2019 Entegra Aspire 44W - 2020 RAM 1500 Laramie TOAD
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:54 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 578
My Oncologist told me I had Gall Stones and asked if I was having any pain. I said No. she said I should have the Gall Bladder removed before I did have problems. I will wait until this China virus thing is over before I do anything
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:00 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
wrlwnd's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Oxford, NC
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Just as a quick follow-up:


Yes, don't do it unless you have to. You'll know when it's time.


I have talked to several folks who did have their gall bladder removed (even some from back in the day when they really opened you up to get it), and none said they were sorry. All said it was a good move for them.
I'm not trying to push you in the direction of having it removed, I just wanted to help put your mind at ease if it becomes needed.


.

I am one of those from back in the day. I know that mine was gallstones, which is different, but am glad it was done.



As to it being back in the day, whenever I get asked when it was I have a quick response that satisfies any of the docs, "I was recuperating from it when the Challenger disaster happened."
wrlwnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:03 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
I recently had an abdominal ultra sound at the local VA. I was told I have “sludge” in the gall bladder and the doc’s nurse said the doc would refer me to a surgeon if I was in pain or discomfort. I have not been able to actually talk to a human being at the VA since that diagnosis was given to me almost a month ago, and although it does not sound serious now since I am not in pain, I still would like more information.

Anyone have a clue what this stuff is and what might be the normal treatment other than removing body parts?
At least they caught it soon where you might be able to change your diet and fix it. I was told the same thing several years ago. I was also told that the sludge was the building block for stones later. Of course at that time I wasn't feeling any pain so I changed nothing. Bad idea. Ended up having an attack a few years later and had to have it removed. Which ultimately led to a diet change. Your gall bladder is just a storage tank for your liver bile. When the body senses the need to boost digestion it releases the bile to the small intestine. Without it some foods can cause diarrhea. It's a trial and error the first few months to learn what you can and cant eat. I wouldn't worry to much but take it as an indicator that changes are needed to prevent gall bladder or liver disease later. Like others have said, you'll know if it's time. Feels like a right side heart attack/samurai sword being twisted in your side.
rwhite1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gall stones smiybrneyes Just Conversation 19 05-18-2015 07:36 AM
Gall bladder surgery is not fun. TXiceman Texas Boomers 28 03-11-2013 05:30 PM
New Organs (Heart, Bladder, etc) Today Always-RVing Just Conversation 17 11-23-2011 06:05 AM
Water Bladder John Hilley Boondocking 8 07-11-2010 11:26 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.