Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2015, 09:38 PM   #1

Gall stones

Anybody had their gallbladder removed due to stones? Are you glad you did? If you had a choice would you do it again or try to live with the stones? I am having surgery in two days and I'm worried about it.
smiybrneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2015, 09:43 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Easy Peasy

Very Common surgery and well worth it. With the gallbladder out, the bile has no place to hang out and form stones. If you leave it. the stones form and get caught trying to travel down the common bile duct.You never know when it will happen.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:52 PM   #3

Wife has gall bladder out. Went in early AM, one-inch incision in the navel, walked out and was home by mid-afternoon. Up and around the next day.

The alternative was to take a chance on a clogged duct (her stones were mobile), and the possibility of infection, gangrene, a big abdominal opening, days of hospitalization, weeks of recovery, huge doses of antibiotics, etc. Oh, and the possibility of death from infection or complications.

Matt B
Old 05-11-2015, 09:54 PM   #4

I had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago the doctor was planning to do it lapricoply but discovered it was so bad needed to open my whole belly up I have had no problems since
hometool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:03 AM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
Had mine out 2 years ago. Was having attacks for years that I thought were heartburn. Last attack went on for hours, went to the ER, diagnosed and removed the same day. I had to stay overnight and had a drain in place which they removed before I went home (that was no fun AT ALL!). It took me a few days to recover (not a lot of pain, though) and had some digestive issues afterward, but they have settled out. My attacks were coming frequently enough that removal was inevitable, so I just did it rather than stress over it. This was my first surgery so I had plenty of apprehension, and I'm sure the morphine made me more brave than I might have been otherwise.
JohnInAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:57 AM   #6

Had mine out several years ago. Solved a lot of digestive problems. A late morning operation. Got me home late afternoon. Feel so much better. Best to get it done before a rupture or blockage. This can cause a lot of health problems.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:33 AM   #7

Thanks for all the encouragment. I don't understand why I am so apprehensive about this, I have had more serious surgery in the past and didn't fret at all. Love to you all.
smiybrneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:56 AM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
Here's an alternative. Rowachol

Gallbladder and Gallstones etc: Rowachol Capsules 100 capsules by Rowa [amazon link]
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Had mine removed, no more pain.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #10

Don't worry, I had mine out several years ago, I put up with it for years until I had an attack while on vacation that landed me in the hospital. They got me well enough to get home and had the surgery the next week. I have had many surgeries and by far this was the easiest in several ways. I was home the next day with relatively minor discomfort. Within two days I felt good enough to go out for short walks and trips to the store, and within a week I was back at work. The best part was that awful pain you get with an attack has never come back, they say that pain is the closest thing you will feel to a heart attack, and in the old days they often treated patients for heart attacks when it was actually a gall bladder attack. Get it done and you will be so happy you did. Good Luck
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:29 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Got mine out about 15 years ago now. Rates up there with "best things I ever did for myself". Went through the belly button and had two small holes. Went home same day as surgery and up and around the next day. Man, I felt so much better
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:08 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
No problemo! Had mine done back in late 80's or 1990. They called it band-ade surgery then. 3 little holes and my belly button cut. It was a new type of surgery then. I was the 1st person this hospital did it on. Before me it was just pigs. Recovery was nothing. Went home same day. Would do it again in a heart beat. It is probably even easier today.

cyn
chiavet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:39 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Had my done 15years ago so glad i did
rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:42 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Modern surgery methods make it simple. You will never regret it and the relief is tremendous. You will wonder why you did not have it done sooner.
02rld is offline   Reply With Quote