Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2018, 08:09 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Galveston sights?

We will be heading to Galveston in a few days and plan to stay a couple of months. What must see things are in that area? Thanks all!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2018, 12:30 AM   #2

Moody Gardens is a must see, they have a world class aquarium, tropical greenhouse, river boat, Imax films, and more. Also depending on your interest they have a fairly good aviation museum, and an interesting railroad museum on the Stand downtown (home of the famous Dickens on the Strand festival, also the location of the local Mardi Gras festival). Of course you also have Houston only 40-60 miles away and all the things it has to offer, certainly within range of a day trip.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:39 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Plan on doing two days at the NASA Space Center just 35 (+ or -) miles up I-45. Seawolf Park and museum will require at least 3/4 of a day. They have a submarine that you can go into and see how Hollywood got it all wrong with all of the space. The Elissa ( a tall mast sailing ship) is also a good museum to visit. They take her out during the summer for cruses. If the rubber tired train is running, that is a nice tour of the city. You can not pass up the Bishops Palace on Broadway. The Strand goes from 19th st to 25th st but it will take the DW at least a day to look at all of the shops. Don't go on the weekend as the cruise ships are coming and going and that can be as many as 8,000 people added to the mix. Gaidos (on the sea wall) around 50th to 60th st is some of the best seafood on the Island and probably in all of TEXAS. It's easy to find as they have a humongous crab on the roof. Pier 21 is also a good restaurant but it hasn't been around as long as Gaidos. Don't even think about steaks as it's a sea food town. Between Houston and Galveston, two months is a very short time.

The RV parks on Bolivar Peninsula, across the (free) ferry, will be a lot less expensive then the ones on Galveston Island and up toward Texas City and League City. One good thing about the ferry is when you are crossing you can go upstairs and check your roof for any problems. Be sure and take a loaf of bread so you can feed the 13,854 seagulls and 942 pelicans. The Sandpiper on the east side of Galveston Island has camp sites right on the beach if you are so inclined.

I hope you will have a good time and come back and see us again, Ya Hear.

TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:51 AM   #4

Miller's restaurant, I was there on business for 2 days last year the food was wonderful.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCathy View Post
We will be heading to Galveston in a few days and plan to stay a couple of months. What must see things are in that area? Thanks all!

HI, IlliniCathy, from the Champaign Co. gal who wrote you several months ago. DH & I are on Galveston Island until the 5th. Will you be here by then, or maybe already here?

I can second all the suggestions you've gotten here, having been to some of these places. We've stayed at Sandpiper before; nice place, handy to everything. This time we're way out west on the island where it's quiet and there is easy access to the beach, w/o all the crowds.

Speaking of which, Mardi Gras is a big deal here, celebrated over 2 weekends, Feb. 2 - 13, town & campgrounds being very full & busy. They charge for watching the parade on the first weekend, but the next weekend parade is free. Most other events are free.

PM me if you're around & want to meet up. [emoji41]

Cheers
Sue
Old 01-26-2018, 10:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEFFY View Post
. ..... Snip

The Sandpiper on the east side of Galveston Island has camp sites right on the beach if you are so inclined.

I hope you will have a good time and come back and see us again, Ya Hear.

Hi, Teffy! Good info and very thorough. How ya doin'?

Cheers!
Sue aka suspinz RVM 36
Old 01-28-2018, 09:26 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Suspinz, hello! We are at the Jamaica Beach RV Park. Would love to get together with you. Where are you??
Old 01-28-2018, 09:38 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you felt even more adventurous, if you wanted to cruise a little, Keemah Boardwalk could be a point of interest. It's right near NASA if you decided to take that amazing tour.

And in my Humble opinion, you would be remiss not to make a trip into Houston and eat at Vic and Anthony's. Houston itself has a buzzing current of fabulous theater, symphony, and shows.

If this type of thing interests you at all, a date night at Vic And Anthony's near Minute Maid Park (GO ASTROS!) and then catching a show is well worth the effort.

Further, I find the Galveston Mardi Gras repugnant, especially at night. You'd do yourself a favor staying as far as you could at night. It's generally more tame during the day, but lots of bad actors at night.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCathy View Post
Suspinz, hello! We are at the Jamaica Beach RV Park. Would love to get together with you. Where are you??

Hiya! We're down the road at Galveston Island RV Resort. PM re arrangements, eh?
Old 01-29-2018, 06:10 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
Hi, Teffy! Good info and very thorough. How ya doin'?

Cheers!
Sue aka suspinz RVM 36
Good Morning Sue:

Haven't done any long trips lately but the GF and I have been doing a lot of square dancing and the MH is nice so we don't have to do a two hour drive home after the dance.

Have ya'll gotten together with Wayne and Earlene? Have a great stay down here.

TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEFFY View Post
Good Morning Sue:

Haven't done any long trips lately but the GF and I have been doing a lot of square dancing and the MH is nice so we don't have to do a two hour drive home after the dance.

Have ya'll gotten together with Wayne and Earlene? Have a great stay down here.

Hi Teffy! We'll see W & E after his wrist goes under the surgeon's knife tomorrow, when he feels up to it. We've talked by phone.

The weather is improving & beats IL temps, so we aren't complaining!

Your square dancing sounds fun, and I'm pleased for you that you have someone to share it with. I did square, contra, and clog dancing in my fitter years and know how much fun it can be. Game on!