Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2019, 10:55 PM   #1

Garage Door Needs To Tell Me When It's Open

I have a problem with my Garage Door. I have left it open several times and thanks to my neighbors let me know when I leave it open.

I would like to hook up some kind of switch that would turn on a light to let me know the garage is open. It has to be some kind of wireless signal because hard wiring it is impossible. I can plug in the switch and the light. Any ideas?

P.S. I have to go outside to double check to see if it's open and being I am a old buzzard I forget to that also...

Thanks LeeB
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2019, 11:30 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
I have a problem with my Garage Door. I have left it open several times and thanks to my neighbors let me know when I leave it open.

I would like to hook up some kind of switch that would turn on a light to let me know the garage is open. It has to be some kind of wireless signal because hard wiring it is impossible. I can plug in the switch and the light. Any ideas?

P.S. I have to go outside to double check to see if it's open and being I am a old buzzard I forget to that also...

Thanks LeeB

If you have the money and inclination, there is at least one garage door opener that can connect with your smart phone that will not only let you know if the door is open or closed, you can actually open or close it with the smart phone. Roybi is the brand I saw at Home Depot and it can do some other tricks as well. Other manufacturers may also make a model that does the same thing but I haven't actually seen them. Might be worth checking out.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:33 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
LiftMaster MyQ

Unsure of the switch/light setup you mention but LiftMaster has a system that connects to WiFi and can be setup to send email alerts when the door is left open. The door can also be opened and closed via a cell phone app.
Wangodetango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:10 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought a Chamberlain CLDM1 for $20 a long time ago. Sensor sticks to the garage door and monitor plugs into house receptacle. Red light = Open. Green light = Closed
Old 03-08-2019, 06:02 AM   #5

We used a GarageDoorBuddy device I bought from Amazon. It sticks to the door and connects to WiFi. Our phone had an app that said the door was opening, closing or had been left open. You can add a device to control it remotely as well.

We upgraded to a new LiftMaster opener with MyQ built in. It is very nice and has a device you can install inside your house with an LED indicator. That’s my next purchase. As others said, you can add MyQ to most door openers for about $80.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:21 AM   #6

+1 on MyQ. Bought ours on Amazon. We are traveling in California in our coach. Your post made me check my garage door.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:37 AM   #7

My solution....
My wife that I dearly love had a habit of leaving for work leaving the garage door open exposing thousands of dollars worth of my reloading equipment. My solution was to install a microswitch at the doors top limit and send the contact closure to a timed relay. Operation was simple. the door opened fully and when it did the micro switch was touched by a small arm that I attached to the door. When the switch was touched it caused a closure/short/ which shorted the input of the timed relay causing the timer to begin counting. Once the set time was reached the timed relay sent a contact closure across the manual door open/close contacts. This action causes the door to automatically close thus door not left open for very long. Wife happy and me happy. Works very well and worth the money spent around $80 and 1/2 hr time to fabricate the microswitch bracket and arm that contacts it.

I would have opted for some type of control from the cell phone but I have seen these backfire and unwanteds gain entry into homes via these systems.

What happens when and if your WiFi goes down? You no longer have control of your garage door.

Sometimes there is something to say for "Old Tech"
Coachmen Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:44 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
take a look at this on Amazon..... Liftmaster 915LM Wireless Garage Door Monitor This may be just the ticket.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
I bought a Chamberlain CLDM1 for $20 a long time ago. Sensor sticks to the garage door and monitor plugs into house receptacle. Red light = Open. Green light = Closed
X2 ;works great even in the super cold temps in the winter months. Cheap and easy to use.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:00 AM   #10

I installed a Chamberlain MyQ device on my garage door as others have said. It lets me monitor it from anywhere in the world when connected to the internet. I can setup alerts to let me know when it's been open for over 15, 30, whatever amount of time. Of course this assumes that you have an internet connection active in your home when you're not there.
It works with most all door openers so it's not a requirement to have a Chamberlain door opener.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Garage-...-1-spons&psc=1
Old 03-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #11

Thanks for the reply's
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:03 PM   #12

Or a GoControl - smart garage door controller. Works with Samsung SmartThings. Via WiFi you can control from your smart phone or Alexa.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post

Thanks LeeB
Good morning, LeeB!
Check local area to see if someone is causing interference. I live near Newport Naval Base and a few years back they changed primary radio frequencies. I had EXACT same garage door problems as you. FINALLY I ran into someone who schooled me on the new car door protector strips. at the Base. Bottom line, I had to get a repeater kit and two new remotes. Worked like a charm.
Galanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:45 PM   #14

Bought the meross off Amazon. Works good. Connects to wifi. Let's me know on my phone app when the door opens and closes.
I can check the door anytime and it lets me know the status.
I can also open and close door if left open or someone stops by and needs to get in. Also works with Alexa. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190713-144131_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	253122
dafoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door