Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2020, 03:08 PM   #1

Generator question -- not RV-related

But hey, you folks are the generator experts so here it is.

Our house generator is an 8KW Generac, and I plug it into the house as needed with a 10' long, 30amp cable. This runs my well pump, refrigerator, freezer, TV, computer stuff, lights, etc. During the winter it'll run a couple of 1500 watt ceramic heaters to keep us from freezing.

The older I get the heavier it gets, and the farther I have to drag it to get it to the house from the storage building where it's usually stored. OK, the heavier it feels and the farther it seems like I have to drag it.

So, how long a cable could I safely use to get it plugged to the house? I could buy a 50', 7500 watt, 30 amp cable at Home Depot and just run it from the storage building.

I'd park the generator with the exhaust facing the doorway so I could just plug it in, open the doors, and let 'er rip.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 03:52 PM   #2

If you have a 8000 watt generator, you could overload a 7500 watt extension cord.

Do they offer a 10,000 watt cord ? With that, you may suffer some voltage drop, but not overload the cord.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:33 PM   #3

I would be afraid of second guessing and having damaging thoughts in the back of my mind. Call Generac to get their advice.
Generac. 888-436-3722
lrgomez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:02 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you. Food for thought. As it stands, I don't use it that much. If the power to the house is only going to be off for a short while we just move to the RV with the built-in generator. Sometimes, though, we're told it'll be off for hours like today. It went off about 1:15 pm, and here, at 9:00 pm it's still off.

It was supposed to be back on at 6:30, then 8:30, now ... who knows?
Old 09-30-2020, 12:44 AM   #5

I am guessing your current cord has 10AWG wiring in it, in order to avoid excessive voltage drop, you would probably need a 8 AWG wire cord at 50 ft, as 10 AWG is getting very marginal at 50 ft on voltage drop. This could be custom made, but I don't think you will find it off the shelf with the correct plugs on the end.

p.s. I was wrong here is an 8 awg L14-30 generator cord on Amazon, there are lots of 50 ft 10 AWG cords, which as I mentioned above are marginal, but this is the only 8AWG I found, they also offer it in 75 ft length. https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Box-L14-...dp/B07F46Q2KK/
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I am guessing your current cord has 10AWG wiring in it, in order to avoid excessive voltage drop, you would probably need a 8 AWG wire cord at 50 ft, as 10 AWG is getting very marginal at 50 ft on voltage drop. This could be custom made, but I don't think you will find it off the shelf with the correct plugs on the end.

p.s. I was wrong here is an 8 awg L14-30 generator cord on Amazon, there are lots of 50 ft 10 AWG cords, which as I mentioned above are marginal, but this is the only 8AWG I found, they also offer it in 75 ft length. https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Box-L14-...dp/B07F46Q2KK/
Thank you, Isaac. I'll look into that one.

Tags
generator