Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
It IS common etiquette and courtesy on the roads in our country to drive on the right and to let faster vehicles pass on the left. However, I've seen many aggressive drivers abuse that common courtesy when trying to get around heavy stop and go traffic, which naturally fills all lanes of a highway.

I am not in favor of laws that mandate usage of a particular lane for the benefit of people who want to drive 30mph above the speed limit. Such laws should be carefully written to apply only to slow moving vehicles that travel below the speed limit in the left lane.

And I'll tell you this. If the right lane is beating my expensive coach up and the left is smoother, I'm gonna switch to the left...you can depend on it. Though I won't travel slower than the speed limit or fail to move right to allow traffic to pass.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
IMHO, the law just enforces common sense.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
If you ask me I feel all highways should have 3 lanes. Left for fast cars, right for slow cars, and middle for RVs.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Florida tried to pass a similar law a few years back, but it didn't make it, which is a shame. I think people who putter along in the passing lane and refuse to get over and allow other drivers to pass are begging for a road rage incident and too oblivious to realize it.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:19 AM   #19

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
IMHO, the law just enforces common sense.
I do agree in moving to the right when possible to make room for faster traffic, but aggressive drivers will act aggressively to others regardless which lane you are in, and always blame others for their actions...

The reason given by the bill's sponsor was that if an aggressive driver comes up behind you, you better get out of their way because you are causing them to get road rage...
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:19 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Isn't it funny that road rage is being caused by those that are obeying the speed laws, versus those irresponsible people that think they own the road... Instead of cracking down on the aggressive drivers, the responsible people are going to be punished for making them mad...
The problem is not with the people who are obeying the law, and the speed limits. It is with the careless or ignorant drivers who think that they can plod along at 5 or 10 mph below the limit "in the fast lane". There are plenty of laws to deal with overly aggressive drivers, but I have never seen one of them cause major slow downs with all the other drivers diving around them right and left.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #21

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
The problem is not with the people who are obeying the law, and the speed limits. It is with the careless or ignorant drivers who think that they can plod along at 5 or 10 mph below the limit "in the fast lane". There are plenty of laws to deal with overly aggressive drivers, but I have never seem one of them cause major slow downs with all the other drivers diving around them right and left.
Oops, didn't mean to cause text rage...
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #22
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with this law. Many states (including my own) have signs everywhere that state "keep right except to pass". I don't understand why anyone would want to travel in the left lane and force faster drivers to pass them on the right? That is far more dangerous then trying to slow down speeders. I don't condone speeding, but we all know most people speed. It's easier to stay out of their way. Two wrongs don't make a right.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Oops, didn't mean to cause text rage...
No, I just didn't want anyone to think that I was advocating speeding down the left lane like an idiot, pissed that no one will move over. In my car or truck, I never drive any more than 10 over, and that is only if traffic is moving at that pace. In the MH, it's the speed limit or less, depending on conditions and the limit (my coach isn't really happy at sustained speeds over 65 anyway).
Old 03-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Coming back to Florida on I-10, we were doing the usual 63-65 mph. Up ahead I could see that we were going to pass a car that was in the left lane. When we were about three car lengths away, a motor cycle passed between the two of us and all but disappeared under my outside mirror. Man, it was close! As we passed, I saw that she had her right foot/leg under her while reading the book that she had on the steering wheel. It really IS SCARY out there!

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #25

I think SPEEDERS should be executed in public... The LAW is the law...
USMC1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1968 View Post
I think SPEEDERS should be executed in public... The LAW is the law...
Judge Dredd, is that you?
Old 03-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #27

Excellent law and very much needed if enforced aggressively. Getting left lane cruisers back in the slow lane could improve efficiency of the highways as much as a new lane! Left lane cruisers deserve all the road rage they get and more.
bvaughn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #28

18 or so years ago, I worked moving cars for a rental car company. One elderly gentleman refused to do the speed limit (2 under posted) and often insisted on occupying the left lane. We asked why? He thought it was his duty to slow others down. The van driver said he had 15 minutes after the car in front of him to get to where we were going to have a ride back. That gave everyone else a chance to get water or get rid of water while waiting for him. We traveled I95, I4, I10, and US 301 between Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, and Tallahassee airports. Never got him to stay right till a trucker gave him a bump one evening.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote