Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #1

gfII breaker overload?

We are on our way to Washington. We have been having problems with satellite receiver. Other when we unplug it, GFI does not pop. Any ideas? Thank you.
6jsgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #2

The only circumstance that pops a GFCI breaker is the current on the hot lead does not match the current on the neutral leg within the trip rating of the breaker. It is the imbalance that trips that breaker.

This means the current goes eleswhere rather than the neutral wire - hence is returned by the ground wire. It only takes a few milliamps of current drain to pop the breaker.

You need to determine where that path for the current drain away from neutral is. If the only time the CGFI pops is when you unplug the satellite receiver, then I would look at the receptical and for a fault in the receiver wiring.

Is the satellite receiver turned off when you disconnect?

Did you plug into another receptical protected by that GFCI breaker?

Suggest you do further testing to isolate the problem. GFCI's can fail, but I suggest you answer the questions, noted above and go from there.

Hope I was helpful
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Libero is right, the GFI only detects an imbalance between hot and neutral. I'm not sure I understand, "Other when we unplug it, GFI does not pop." If you mean it trips when the Sat receiver is plugged in, then try placing receiver on a plastic or wooden platform, isolated from the ground. Don't hook up wires to TV. see if the receiver trips GFI. Then hook up wire and see if it trips. Perhaps you have power leaking to ground in the receiver. You could also use a multimeter to test for electrical flow to ground from the receiver.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6jsgrandma View Post
We are on our way to Washington. We have been having problems with satellite receiver. Other when we unplug it, GFI does not pop. Any ideas? Thank you.
BFlinn181 provided sound advice but he did make me look at the OP again. And like him, I am not certain of the fault scenario/conditions other than the CGFI Pops and there is some relationship to the Sat receiver when this happens.

If you could do some additional testing as suggested and then report results. We might be able to better focus on the problem source.

Looking forward to the feedback.

Best regards
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #5

Thank you both very much. My husband agrees with you both. He thinks it is something with the receiver because the only time it pops is when plugged in to the tv or when it is turned on and receiving the satellite signal. He is going to continue to investigate this. Thank you so much. On to Oregon for 2 days, then Washington on Monday.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #6

Will definitely keep you posted on GFCI issue. Happy travels.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:47 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In a proper satellite installation the coax shield is grounded.

now in the receiver, the power leads are isolated from ground but the chassis may be bonded (Via the round pin on a plug) to ground as well.

This (the isolation) means the GFCI remains happy.

HOWEVER there are a couple of parts inside the receiver, (And yes, I even know what parts they are and where they are located but the phrase "no user serviceable parts inside" applies. (I happen to be trained as an electronics tech).

If one of them fails.. Trip goes the GFCI.

And that is just ONE way it can happen, I can think of others as well.. I know three ways to fix it.

#1 on the hit parade is call your sat service provider and request a new receiver.

#s 2 and 3 take skill and test equipment.