Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Go Figure

I just heard oil dropped $9.44 a barrel today, but fuel went up, go figure?
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Blame the speculators that appears to be what is driving the prices.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
Blame the speculators that appears to be what is driving the prices.
I have another name for them, but I won't type it on a famliy friendly forum.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRosedale View Post
I just heard oil dropped $9.44 a barrel today, but fuel went up, go figure?
No offense, but why do you think prices for crude oil futures and retail gasoline or diesel should move together? Do wheat futures and the price of a loaf of bread move together?
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You know that law of supply and demand.. As demand goes up so does the price, as supply goes up the price goes down..

Well, that's what is called an "Ideal" law.. Now here is the real law of supply and demand, Real laws are also called Murphy's laws because Murphy (Mrs no less) discovered them.

As Demand goes up so does the price
As supply increases to exceed the higher demand the price goes up even more to cover the cost of warehousing the excess.

How do I know Mrs Murphy discovered those laws?

Well, you know that old Irish song.

WHO THREW THE OVERALLS IN MRS. MURPHY's CHOWDER

Nobody answered, because when they ladeled them out, Mrs. Murphy fainted.. She'd done it,, You see, she used the chowder pot as the laundry tub on wash day and .... Something went wrong.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Where we are, (I sell retail diesel fuel in NY), the wholesale truckload price of ULSD dropped 29 cents a gallon overnight last night. Most dealers are stuck with what they previously bought as in-the-ground inventory at the higher price so you won't see much of a difference till all of that is gone. On the flip side, if it goes right back up, you won't see it change at all.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't put any emphasis on the poor old retailer. He has to sell what he has first before he can offer the newer price. Of course, I object to raising the price of what is in the tank just because of speculation that the price is going up.

It is saddening to think that back in 1974 the people of this country go together and made the supply go up. How was that? They carpooled every day for a little over 30 days. I was in the military then, and in our unit you would see car loads of military riding with each other. In my case I alternated weeks with other drivers so that only one of us had to use our car. My demand for fuel went way down, as did many others who car pooled. It's funny that the catalyst behind this was the news media. Just about every segment of news carried a small feature of car pooling.

I wonder what has changed?

Edited: I live in a refinery town. Many of the folks living here have made there entire living working in the Refineries. Just talking to one such old timer the other day we were talking about the 1974 "crisis." He stated that at the refinery he was working at the tanks were full to the brim and they were told not to release it.

I wonder why?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote