Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2022, 03:07 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Going Solar in the House?

This thread is for ppl that are not FT's.
With recent Elec Bill, thought of looking into the Solar deal. As i live in fla mostly always have sun, My electric bill this time of yr about $150. Last months bill was $242. And i used less than a yr ago this month. Been reading a lot on this subject for past 2 yrs off/on. Talked with friends that are Realtors. Said cost to go solar doesn't usually add to the price value of the home.
My usual use of elec per/month is between 1100/1400 Kwh. Lowest monthly bill was always about $40/60 (during winter). As the AC goes off. Gen runs $80/150 AC use Months.
So who has Solar at their house, Are actually saving any $$. Worth it? Have u sold house with the solar, Would u buy one that had it already?.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2022, 05:04 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 7kw system on my home installed 8 years ago. I live in Las Vegas and get more sun than you could ever want. My system is leased from Sunnova solar and I would not recommend using them as they are not responsive to customers needs. 8 months out of the year my bill from NV Energy is about $15. In the summer months I use up my credits and the bill gradually goes up to about $240. The lease started out at $165 a month and goes up 2% a year until the end of the 25 year lease. My inverter has died twice and took 3 months each time to get replaced. One other issue that they don't mention is cleaning of the panels. In my case they get a layer of dust on them that reduces output. If I could do it over again I wouldn't, at least with Sunnova. I have 1.6kw on my RV and it works great.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:12 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Even here in NM grid tied solar is not a slam dunk. Except for very unique personal situations of usage and finances the phrase I like to use is going with solar amounts to spending thousands to save hundreds. The only net positive for anyone is going to be the panel manufacturer, salesman who gets a commission, the grunt that screws the things to your roof, and the financer that runs your loan or lease. After all that overhead, plus your lost opportunity you would have to run that system for well over a decade with no technical issues requiring repair - not very likely. Odds are high you won't live in the house long enough to break even, and like a swimming pool not every home buyer is interested in adopting a solar power system. Not saying that solar doesn't work, it absolutely does and sometimes there's reason to have it besides reduction in utility cost. But it's not a plug and play proposition that you immediately bask in the reward of your effort, it will be years at a minimum you must operate to begin to see benefit. You have to carefully run numbers for different installation and operating scenarios and balance that to any return you expect for your anticipated duration you, just like any other equipment investment in your life.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:26 AM   #4

Money spent on insulation gives you a direct payback. Make sure your attic space is R50 if possible. If your house is capable, add a power vent to the attic. Plant big trees to give your house shade especially on the south and west. Solar works great, but unless there is a big government kickback, you won't see a payback at MSRP. A $25,000 home system amortized over the 25 year life, $2000 a year in direct cost. Payback just isn't there.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:38 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Going Solar in the House?

I had solar on the house in Oregon. It was a prepaid lease of 15 years. No monthly payments and I paid 4,000$ up front. The bonus was I got 4500 in federal tax credits taken as 1500 ea year over 3 years. So net I made 500 bucks, and got lower electric bills. Mine was grid tied and was not capable either no battery storage of providing power off grid. ( power outages) I had the system for 8 years before we sold.
In Oregon my house was worth more with the solar. Real estate agent figured 10 grand Maybe in Florida itís not Ö. as solar is not as popular here Ö go figure with all the sun! Itís all about the frame of mind towards alt power.
It was a lease with the guarantee to remove and repair the roof at the end if I didnít want to continue all at at no charge ( in the contract) I was told it was likely they couldnít / wouldnít do that in the 60 days the contract provided they had to and they would abandon the system leaving it for me.
Btw the Solar city system was flawless the 8 years I had it. Solar city was bought out and is now Tesla and incorporates their power wall.
There are lots of solar scammers out there .. research and do your homework.
While Iím not a advocate of large tax credits my point of view is if they exist and I donít use them to my advantage Iím not too smart.
With the new solar credits being possibly approved Iíll look into it for my Florida rv port home.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:51 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 4K system on my home for the last 13 years. The system cost me $15,000 after rebates at the time. I have paid 0$ to PG&E for electricity the entire 13 years. I only pay a monthly fee for "the meter". PG&E rates have gone up every year so I am way ahead.
Old 08-12-2022, 06:29 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not sure about "way ahead" though it looks like you probably crossed the system break even point about 3 years ago. The longer you can operate it trouble free the better off you'll end up. Just when the lost opportunity cost is made up for is another question and is harder to calculate, depends on where you got the $15K from and what it would be doing for you otherwise.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 06:47 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have a 3kw system. All I could fit on the southern roof. It supplies about a 1/3 of my electric throughout the year.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:02 AM   #9

I had solar put on my Southern California desert home in 2017. They put on 63 panels and I have not had a utility bill yet except for the connection fee to Edison (about $25-$35 per month).

I paid upfront for the system and got an immediate 30% tax deduction off my taxes.

They figured I would have a seven year break-even point. One year I 'over generated' and received a $250 credit and another year I received a $75 credit.... otherwise, pretty much even.

My normal utility bill averaged about $800 per month.... could be $350 in the winter to $2,000 per month in the summer heat. The house has 7 air units and is all electric except for two gas fireplaces.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 03:14 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to all. Some really good input from you all. I have been on the fence on this. but also living in fla with storms, an some of them major storms, not to sure as one good one could possible rip the roof off house/or the panels and $$$ right down the drain. An yes there are a lot of scammer ads all over for going solar. That itself gets ya wondering. who's good and who's just here to get ya money. .
Old 08-14-2022, 04:57 AM   #11

We did a 12 year loan. Switched from Propane heat to heat pumps. Donít have to stress about cost of propane jumping up in New England now. Payment is on par to our old electric bill. We saved money from the get go. After 12 years is up we really will save. Helps you gain control of what you pay instead of being at the whim of the market forces. We have the land to mount on the ground which may help with cost, not sure. Has work as advertised for 3 years. Just my experience.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:03 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmandmc View Post
Thanks to all. Some really good input from you all. I have been on the fence on this. but also living in fla with storms, an some of them major storms, not to sure as one good one could possible rip the roof off house/or the panels and $$$ right down the drain. An yes there are a lot of scammer ads all over for going solar. That itself gets ya wondering. who's good and who's just here to get ya money. .
Make sure itís professionally installed to current hurricane code and you will be fine. As to $$$ down the drain isnít that why you have homeowners insurance ( another matter in FL) to make it so itís replaced by them and not $ down the drain? Get an estimate from someone big like Tesla and some others that have been around several years with a long bbb record to check. Not ď joes solar ď that started up last march Ö just sayin. Good luck !
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar