Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2019, 06:24 AM   #1

Good books on routine Motorhome maintenance

I am doing research on Class C motorhomes. I won't be purchasing for a couple of years. I know these new motorhomes are increasingly complex, with a lot of accessories, that require routine maintenance. I was reading a thread where some veteran RVers complained that a lot of the complaints about manufacturer quality are actually due to poor maintenance routines, by newbie owners.

I know my eventual RV will come with an owners manual, and I am learning a lot from this forum, but are there good books on routine motorhome maintenance? Or valuable blogs?

Please recommend some, if you know one.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Although RV's are similar it will be difficult to find a book that has all the info required for an individual rig.

The owners manuals that came with my coach have the bare minimum in regards to maintenance. These included the individual components such as engine, transmission, generator, chassis and most of the appliances. I was lucky in that Monaco actually provided a build sheet that had had the name, model, and SN of most of the above.

This provided me with info so I could go out and get repair manuals for most of the above. I've created my own data base that has all this info broken down by Chassis, House, Generator etc.

As I read IRV2 and other sites there will be a thread that has additional information that I save to the specific area.

There are also other resources available such as Cummins Quckserve, which has specific information on my engine based on the model and SN. I can go in and look at parts diagrams and have access to manuals etc. If I find something I thing I may need in the future I save it as a PDF and save it.

Bottom line, if you want to learn how to maintain a rig once you buy one you'll have to do your own homework.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #3

It would be near impossible to write an all inclusive handbook on RV maintenance. There are just too many variations of systems and accessories. They change often too. Some RV manufacturers use appliances from different manufacturers even for the same models depending on availability.
Asking questions on this forum is one of the best and most reliable ways to find information on a certain item. Check the menu for this forum and ask your question on the most appropriate thread.
For ex. if you have a problem with a sprinter chassis choose the Sprinter thread.
If you buy new you should receive a large folder with manuals for all the appliances and accessories installed in your RV. If not an E-Mail to the manufacturer of an appliance etc. might be in order.
When you do purchase your RV put the year make and model as well as any other pertinent information in your signature. Those who own like models will respond more quickly.
Good Luck
Lynn
Old 07-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #4

Many clubs like FMCA or Escapees have classes you can attend (for a fee) usually at their get togethers. FMCA has a getogether next month in Minot ND with an RV Basics Class. Escapees has a RV Boot Camp Class given at different times of the year at various locations. I don’t think you have to own an RV but you do have to be a member of the club.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #5

The best resources for RV maintenance are this forum, a forum specific to you make and model, YouTube, and download every manufacture’s manual for every appliance and system in you rig.

While you will receive a big folder when you buy the RV, it frequently will not have all the manuals you will need or want.

Finally there are many great blogs on the web that can guide you as well. Make Mr. Google your friend.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:21 PM   #6

Most of the componant manufacturers have service manuals available for downloading on their website. There are many U-tube videos that will show you how to service various items like the fridge, the furnace, or the water heater. RV systems, while not all the same, are similar enough that if you learn how to fix one, another one will be similar enough that you can figure it out.
There are some RV manufacturers, like Winnebago, that publish excellent documentation such as wiring diagrams and plumbing schematics for every coach they ever made. Others either never did, or the materials were lost when many went out of business in 2007-2009. The saving grace is that all RV's are assembled mostly from stock componants. Most of the componant makers are still around and/or made enough units that it is worth it to after market companies to make parts for them.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, motorhome